Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

<X> format is not supported, decompressing texture

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by kromenak, Apr 9, 2019.

1. kromenak

kromenak

In our iOS build logs (Unity 2018.3.3f1), I am seeing 100+ of these sorts of messages:

WARNING: RGB Compressed PVRTC 4BPP UNorm format is not supported, decompressing texture
    WARNING: RGBA Compressed PVRTC 4BPP UNorm format is not supported, decompressing texture

Especially in light of new iOS 12 memory accounting issues which we are struggling with (https://forum.unity.com/threads/ios-large-memory-usage-apparently-feature-not-a-bug.637660/), I am concerned about these warnings because they seem to indicate that textures that are marked to be PVRTC compressed are NOT being compressed.

After some Google searching and Unity Docs searching, I haven't been able to find any actionable info about these sorts of error messages.

Are these something to be concerned about? And if so, how do I identify the particular textures causing the warnings? What texture import settings would cause this warning? I know about "RBG(A) Compressed PVRTC 4BPP", but what is "UNorm" referring to?

Any insight would be much appreciated!

soulgames and MartinAnd like this.
  2. Duobix

Duobix

On what phones have you tested this? From what I know ASTC6x6 compression returns such warnings on everything before iPhone6 (A8?), but PVRTC seemed to work virtually everywhere.

3. kromenak

kromenak

@Duobix, I am actually seeing these warnings in the editor log while building for iOS, not on device at runtime. During the compile/build/Xcode generation process, I see this warning appear pretty frequently.

I guess it's unclear - is this warning referring to a problem with the files as the player is building (which I'd want to fix), or is it referring to the editor's use of textures (which is not as big of a deal)? I don't think I see these warnings at runtime on iOS, only during the build process.

4. KB73

KB73

*bump*

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey I have the same issue. I noticed when i was exploring why my iOS builds are 4x as large as android/desktop and takes 10x as long.

I thought RGBA PVRTC 4BPP was supported and standard on iOS?

What are the correct settings?

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

7. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

I have been chasing this for a while. The textures are in fact compressed, that is specifically why you are seeing this message. Something causes the build process to load the textures compressed for the target platform to be loaded onto the local GPU by the build process. See here for some of my findings.