Search Unity

X-com like games

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Blackldr, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Blackldr

Blackldr

So I've been working on this for about 2 months and i haven't made it much further. been watching videos and a trying to make my own game. I'm sucking it big time and REALLY could use some help. I have an idea for a game like the original X-com. Someone help me PLEASE i want to play my game design

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You can do it, but you need to plan on a couple of years building up some mad programming skillz first. Trying to do your dream game as your very first project isn't very productive; it's more efficient to work up to it through roll-a-ball, making a Pong clone, doing something like Space Invaders, making a Doom knock-off, and so on.

After a year or two of that, then you'll be ready to make your X-com-like game!

Taz-dragon and tedthebug like this.
  3. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

4. tedthebug

tedthebug

If you've never made a game before don't start by trying to make your dream game as you will struggle & it won't be as good as you want it to be. Start by doing the roll a ball tutorial & work your way through the shooter. Watch more on sound, lighting, particles & then go back to the tutorial games you made & start adding small changes so you can test your skills & see how small changes impact in ways you may not have envisioned.
    In your breaks from the tutorial document your game design, include sample art of the style you want, work out interelationships between each component (character stats, weapon stats, etc). Invest in some hex or grid paper & do a paper mock up (turn based games are good for testing on paper) so you can check the mechanics. Writing out the rules for it in a way that players can understand easily will also mean the rules are easy to interpret when coding.

Good luck

5. Blackldr

Blackldr

thank you all for the advice on how i should proceed. I was more looking for someone to help me get this started. i have come to realize i can design but cant build a game

6. aer0ace

aer0ace

I also have an idea for an X-COMish game I want to build, I'll eventually be working on that, so I unfortunately can't help you there. But good luck finding people to help you fulfill your dream!

Blackldr likes this.