Search Unity

Www.handpaintedtextures.com is finally up.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimmy livefjord, Apr 9, 2012.

1. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks alot man !

2. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Attached Files:

3. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Later today the first assets will finally be availible for purchase ;) , FINALLY ! Here comes a teaser of oneof the assets that will come up. Its not done yet but one more our and its good to go . Diffuse 512 * 512 , 385 faces.

Attached Files:

4. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey Everyone.Several people have felt that the prices have been a littlebit (or way to much) higher than they feel is okay. I have decided to listen to your views and i will now lower the prices for the textures. The new price will be 3 $ / texture. When sold in packs they will go for 1,50 $ / texture in generall. New assets that are comming up will be sold for 5 USD ( like the hut) and more complex stuff for higher. Thanks you all for sharing your views on this issue !

5. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

6. NomadKing

NomadKing

Everything on the site looks great Jimmy, nice work! :)

7. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks alot man, sorry for the lack of content my life is hectic at the moment. It will be up more soon.

8. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Tent, with a little pillow , 512 * 512 diffuse. 592 Faces.

Attached Files:

9. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Dude, your talented. You've made some nice props.

Edit: And textures obviously.

10. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thank you very much for those kind words. I have a long way to go still. An proper education or a fulltime job at a game studio would have made be much better. I have been in love with this artstyle since the first time World of warcraft was announced and images started leaking out. Follow me on Twitter for all the latest update. https://twitter.com/#!/jimmylivefjord

Thanks man !

11. NomadKing

NomadKing

Love the folds on the canvas on the tent. Really nice model :)

12. virror

virror

Sooo, good : )

13. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks man !

14. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Today is my birthday, feeling like giving me a present ? , Give us some suggestions or feedback on the page ! , like,tweet,follow to !!

Have a great weekend all of you !

15. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Alright a new brickwall texture. The last one had to big stones and i sort of regret that so i made this instead.

I also wanted a brickstone texture that has a more classical feel to it.

UPDATE:
    -------------

The first texture pack will go for 53 $ and contains the first 35 textures,It will be up within an hour !

Attached Files:

16. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

The First texture pack is finally up !

17. DavidB

DavidB

Ooo, looks good Jimmy. If I can just figure out a project prototype that would be enhanced by these.... then you have a customer haha :D Well done. They look fantastic.

Are you planning on doing asset packs as well rather than just single items?

18. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks man ! ,

Yes the goal is to have packs for everything both textures and assets. I would like to divide the packs in more logical groups. Like Stone texture pack, Fantasy town assets and so on. For latest updates follow us on twitter !

thanks again man !

19. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

I am superhappy to say that our first mega pack of textures is finally up here on Unity asset store !!! If you are one of those people who have bought textures earlier on www.handpaintedtextures.com please go in and rate it ! It would mean alot to us. Kindly // jimmy

20. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Okay later tonight a new ground texture will be up. This one took forever to make. It will come in several versions. This one has probably an hour left. to make it look much better.

Attached Files:

21. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

A Preview of the new asset, will be up in a couple of hours.

Attached Files:

22. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Alright the prison cage is finally up. I added a skull inside. The uv space has alot left so i will probably be adding some more skelletons in the same uv in the future. This asset has two textures. One is like the screenshot above, pretty clean and the other one has more noise and scratches in the texture.

Stay tuned for more updates.

Attached Files:

23. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Looks awesome!

24. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks man !,

Plants,treasure chest, more dungeon textures and propps and more trees are on my radar right now.

25. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Very cool - the only thing id like to see is a custom request

26. Duskling

Duskling

+1

27. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thanks man !,

You mean like a page on www.handpaintedtextures.com where people can write requests on textures and assets ? I had that idea before. Like do a couple of slots where people can upload reference materials and so on. And please send any information in the meantime to info@handpaintedtextures.com

Kindly // Jimmy

28. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

29. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Here comes a teaser of the next asset. There will be tons of different content in the barrels. One with apples,gold,coal,water,oat and so on. there will also be a new barrel where the metal pops out in the mesh (the black barrels) the values on this asset will be insane ! , I have included the last object i did aswell.

Attached Files:

30. rhasami

rhasami

Very, very beautiful stuff. I like it very much. You are talented.

31. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Thank you !!

32. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

More updates on the barrels. Getting closer ;) , I will try to squeeze in every bit of information that i can in the texture (512 pix). If alot of people buy this texture and enjoy it i am thinking about making an extra texture later on with only more ingredience inside the barrel. I think i would be able to put like 20 more ingredience on a 512 texture.

Let me know what you think. Kindly // Jimmy

Attached Files:

33. Mechanoxx

Mechanoxx

Lol windows parental controls is blurring out the textures on your site :p

34. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

Those are some fantastic toon textures. Really good.

I would make a suggestion. You are charging $53 USD for the entire set?

http://shop.3dtotal.com/total-textures/v15r2-total-textures-toon.html#t1

This store is selling a similar set of toon textures (I think theirs is a collection of about 197 (admittedly, yours are actually better), for much less price (22 pound, which is probably close to 35USD maybe?

Your textures are way better than theirs. I don't mean to be rude, but perhaps your price is a bit high? I don't know, and I wish you good success!

35. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

To me, its a matter of you get what you pay for.

36. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Any chance of bump maps to make (for example) those barrels pop. Some of the contents looks a bit flat. I think it would help with all of the textures.

(Sorry if this is mentioned somewhere else, just did a quick scan of topic).

37. echtolion

echtolion

These textures are excellent quality. Talented texture artist.

38. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Okay, So when you go in on the page the textures gets blurred ? , that is oviously not very good, any suggestions?

39. HeadClot

HeadClot

I will be placing an order with you very soon. Love your work :D

40. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

I have actually lowered my proce once before. When i started www.handpaintedtextures.com a single texture costed 5$, in packs 2.50$ /texture. I can tell you right away that lowering the price is out of the question. I dont mean to be arrogant in Any way (i consider myself to be bad at painting compaired to the proos) but thoose texture you showed me are plain and simple not good.

I work for 40 usd / hour when i do freelance jobs. a handpainted texture takes between 2- 4 hours -sometimes up to 8 hours to do. So in generall that means that clients pay 80 - 160 $ / texture. I sell 35 textures for 53 usd..... I think that is fair. Yes they are non-exclusive but still.

Anyway its a valid point and thanks for sharing !

Kindly // Jimmy

41. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey man. The reason the objects looks flat is becouse i use a shader in maya with very little shadow (it is easier to paint the texture in that way,especially when applying vertex colors) , I never use normal maps. I can recommend a program called NDO, wich is super easy to use.

Kindly // Jimmy

42. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

Fair enough, this is actually a really helpful response, because I have been wondering about the price of commissioned work. Is that pretty standard ($40 an hour?). And yes, those textures are terrible (a lot of them are normal texture run through a photoshop filter). I also like your 3d modelling style.

43. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Cool man,

I would say a standard price is in between 30 - 40 usd / hour. However texture wise many game companys want a fixed price / texture instead of / hour rate.

I am glad you like my modelling, I have been a huge fan of this style since world of warcraft was released. I really need to go some rehab to let go of this art style. I tried for a while to do other types of styles but i always come back to handpainted style with distorted looks. I think blizzards artstyle is so amazing. And in two days Diablo 3 are here !!

I have attached some old stuff i did. I plan to redo this and make it much cooler and release in later on my store.

Kindly // Jimmy

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  44. Duskling

Duskling

Your stuff is fantastic man,

May I make a suggestion:

You should make like 20 models and textures specific to a certain area, like a dungeon, and then release them in a package. Right now your assets are great but they're themes are a bit too scattered to be used right next to each other.

Maybe some dungeon corridors, old bookshelves, stairs, altars, things that you would find in a typical Diablo-Esque dungeon.

Once again great job, once I see some more models ( or a mega pack which I know is coming soon ) I will probably pick them up.

45. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey man !,

Thanks alot, words like that keeps me motivated. You are so right with what you are saying. The reason why i do all theese seperated things is becouse it keeps my motivation on top. If i spend to much time doing one thing i get bored easily. Because i have very little time in my life (i have a two and a half year old daughter ) + another job on top of that - getting something done with the few ours i have is super important. Something i know for sure is that i will be releasing a huge city pack where everything will be built with modules. The idea is that everyone who buy this pack will have everything they need to combine togheter an interesting town. Also more packs like you are suggesting will be more common in the future for sure.

Right now i have a lot of wishes from people i am planning to finnish first. One of them is making alot of different treasure chests (similar to the barrels), another one is more ground textures,plants and trees, metal doors, and so on. Keep sending suggestions and stay tuned !!

Kindly // Jimmy

46. Apprenticeneauxs

Apprenticeneauxs

Your work is really nice but I a bit confused on the terms of use. Can you explain this last condition?

RESTRICTION OF USE
    -------------------------------
    4. Sell or distribute any of the content in a modified or unmodified form (except in your own game production).

Why would I buy the textures if I cant use them in a game production? Please clarify...

47. adaman

adaman

Just don't sell or give away his textures.

48. Haledire

Haledire

That line did say your "own" game production was ok. It's the kind of thing where you don't resell the textures you bought (as they are for your usage). CGTextures has a similar restriction.

It may need some clarification for a company environment, but basically you're not allowed to do something like change the hue, invert the colors, or alter the contrast and simply go "ok it's mine now because I changed it" and try to sell it. That kind of silliness would be a license violation.

The restriction may need to clarify the usage of textures on commercially sold models though.

49. jimmy livefjord

jimmy livefjord

Hey man,

I think the gentlemen below has explained it pretty well. Offcourse you are allow to use textures in your game,thats the whole point !

Kindly // Jimmy

50. simone007

simone007

Great textures