Search Unity

Audio Wwise and Sound Randomization

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by BillyBobBeavis, Jan 16, 2019.

1. BillyBobBeavis

BillyBobBeavis

I was wondering if I should bother to learn Wwise or just use Unity's integrated functions for sound. My main interest in using Wwise is that the engine can randomize pitch and filtering which seems really cool to me. Does unity have these functions? What is your opinion of Wwise?

2. Docaroo

Docaroo

Unity doesn't have a random sound/pitch ability built in ... however it is fairly easy to add this as a custom script and have it added to an object with an AudioSource on it (we have this in my company).

Both WWise, FMOD and othe rmiddleware will allow you to do this straight away along with many other useful features that help where Unity's native audio is lacking.

3. BillyBobBeavis

BillyBobBeavis

It took me a couple days to figure out Unity's integrated audio but I think I've got it mostly handled. Creating an array of clips and randomly selecting from the array then randomizing the pitch is probably good enough for me at this point.

4. daxiongmao

daxiongmao

I used wwise in a previous project. I liked it. But a lot of that was because all I had to do was hook up events. And the sound engineer could do a ton of stuff without me having to change any code.

5. BillyBobBeavis

BillyBobBeavis

I'm just a lone hobbyist at this point, so team efficiency isn't an issue for me but I can see how Wwise would be very handy in that respect.

6. daxiongmao

daxiongmao

I do like their setup and some of their features. So I have slowly been building some of my own stuff based on things they had. The different types of containers. Event based triggers. Actual sounds in banks etc.

7. BillyBobBeavis

BillyBobBeavis

I should probably try using it.