Search Unity

WW1 Zombie Wave Defense Game/Mod, General Gameplay Ideas wanted

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by BlackBoxProductions, Oct 19, 2021.

1. BlackBoxProductions

BlackBoxProductions

-Core Gameplay, Zombie Wave Defense set in WW1/Western Front, Repair/Build Defenses, Rescue survivors to gain units, Switch between FPS and a Simple RTS mode, None or very limited recruiting or traditional rts base building, Day-Night Cycle with zombies being more active in one or the other depending on if it's a winter or summer map

-Typical Game session, Start with a small/medium amount of units, build more trenches/machine gun nests/barbed wire. Between waves send units to venture out into map to find scattered units/weapons/vehicles, repair barbed wire, and remove/burn zombies. Larger and larger hordes of zombies arrive periodically until the player is overrun

-Although I'd imagine that if zombies broke out the soldiers would just use the trenches as 'moats' since they wouldn't need to hide from artillery, zombies would pile up in the moats until they could just walk over the piles of zombies below

-What do you think? Does this remind you of any closely similar games/mods? Any ideas that would compliment this game type well?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You mention switching between FPS and RTS modes, but you never again mention anything FPS related. It sounds like you just want to tack on FPS gameplay to an RTS game, but that's going to at least double the amount of work you need to put into this game for a feature that doesn't sound like you've put much thought into.

As far as other ideas, I suggest biplanes and/or zeppelins as scouts and bombers.

3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Cull your scope WAY back.

Being new I’m guessing you don’t know how to make an FPS, RTS, or a Defense game.

Why would you try to do all three at once solo as a first game?

Ive been developing since the build engine days and I’m soloing an FPS that realistically will take years.

What you described would take over 5,000 hours.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. BlackBoxProductions

BlackBoxProductions

I wasn't planning on making this by myself from scratch, if I were going to make it at all I would get a FPS and RTS template off the unity store. Just wanted some thoughts on the idea or games/mods that were pretty similar

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  5. Martin_H

Martin_H

Maybe try making a mod for "Call to Arms".

YBtheS likes this.
  6. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Those templet assets aren’t the silver bullet you think they are.

7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Combining two considerably different game template assets into a single game seamlessly is more difficult than you realize. It may actually be faster to write them both from scratch yourself.

Martin_H and Not_Sure like this.
  8. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I find it’s almost always faster to do things myself.

A lot of those assets are also made with a ton of obfuscation so that no one can copy it.

Martin_H and Joe-Censored like this.
  9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I agree. They often are also made excessively complicated in order to be as flexible to different variations on the genre as possible, which can make them difficult to understand and manage.

Martin_H likes this.