Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Wrong Visual Studio being opened when double clicking script or console.

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by Chris-Trueman, May 28, 2020.

1. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

I have both 2017 and 2019 versions of Visual Studio installed. I have Unity set to open 2019, but every time I try to double click a log message or a script file, it opens Visual Studio 2017 instead.

When I start the project, I use Asset->Open C# Project and it opens up VS 2019. Everything else that should switch or open up to VS 2019 opens 2017 instead. Quite an irritating bug.

I also have 2 different options for VS 2019 and both do the same thing.

VisualStudioTroubles.png

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Sounds related to the issues discussed in this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/editor-opening-random-versions-of-vs.868288/

Does the workaround solve the issue for you?

3. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

This is part of what I do when I start Unity. I use that menu to open visual studio. It opens the correct one, but still opens the wrong one when I double click an item in the console. It almost always causes 2019 to ask me to reload the solution because it was modified outside of the environment. It also works correctly every now and then.

Immu likes this.
  4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

If you're not already on it, could you please try upgrading the Visual Studio Editor package to 2.0.2?

Chris-Trueman likes this.
  5. Chris-Trueman

Chris-Trueman

This fixed it. Thank you!

John_MSFT and LeonhardP like this.