Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Wrong phrasing in profiler tooltip (step one frame)

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by liortal, Sep 13, 2019.

1. liortal

liortal

Probably not related to 2019.3, but still sounds a bit off:
    upload_2019-9-14_0-45-11.png

alexeyzakharov likes this.
  2. alexeyzakharov

alexeyzakharov

Thank you for letting us know!
    Seems that the "next frame" button's region is a bit off. We'll look into it.

3. liortal

liortal

I meant that the phrasing is weird. Should be something like "step one frame"

alexeyzakharov likes this.
  4. alexeyzakharov

alexeyzakharov

Ah, thanks, clear now - without mouse cursor looked like the wrong tooltip :)

5. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Hi Lior,
    Thanks for your feedback :)
    This tooltip is indeed not new to 2019.3 but I guess with more buttons being icons, more users might check the tooltips for initial context so now is as good a time as any to revisit them.
    As to the wording, I can sort of see where this wording might be off but I'd like to know what you're reading from the current tooltip vs what you'd expect it to be and what that would communicate.
    I'm wary of the wording "Step" as it might be confused with the "Step one frame" button that controls play mode. The frame control buttons in the Profiler only control which frame is currently getting displayed in the Profiler and don't actually affect the frames of the player (except for potentially putting Playmode into pause on selecting a different frame than the current).
    So to avoid ambiguity with the Play/Pause/Step buttons, I'd actually lean towards simplifying the tooltips here to: "Previous frame", "Next frame", "Current frame"

would that be an acceptable solution?

6. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

That sounds good to me.