Search Unity

Wrong checkboxes required to activate freeze actions

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Unity-Student0, Apr 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

Hello team,

My title is very clear. This concerns Unity LTS 2021.3.0. I just followed a Unity 3D tutorial where the game used only the keyboard. Through other tutorials in the past, I managed to extract code to get it working on the smartphone. My out of context message is why the heck was this not in the Unity manuals?? I'm still wondering now why the free positions has to be activated when in the past it was clearly free rotation. I have never used free position before. I have already sent a bug report and I just replied stating this solution was found. Kindly fix this problem. To worsen your problem further, the solution or checkbox you gave in this link does not exist: what is happening to you all? https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-RotationConstraint.html.

I hope someone from the Unity team can reply and state what action is going to be done.

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I hope you put a lot more useful information into your bug or it's just gonna get deleted.

For instance, this is the first link on Google about how to report a bug:

https://www.browserstack.com/guide/how-to-write-a-bug-report

Or the google summary:

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 10.01.55 AM.png

3. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I'm not clear on your post. Can you share steps to reproduce on a new project? Regarding the link, are you referring to Freeze Rotation Axes? And you are asking why the "code you extracted" is not in the Unity manual, can you elaborate? You mentioned free position vs free rotation, did you mean both? Please provide the bug number of your submission, I will check. You said "I just replied stating this solution was found. Kindly fix this problem", so you found your solution and are no longer having the problem?

4. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

This should clear things up. My apologies to people like @Kurt-Dekker, I thought my explanation was very clear. I'm putting a screenshot so everyone can see.

Attached Files:

5. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

No, I can't share the steps. This is from youtube. I just didn't expect to have to re-create the entire project.

6. spiney199

spiney199

You linked the rotation constraint component, but you've shared the image of a rigid body component. They're two different components with different applications.

7. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

I don't know where to find the rotation constraint component. However, my solution does work in a new project. To me, the ability to get the solution to work is important. Excuse me if I sound silly but I don't see any other solutions. Please guide me if possible. (This reply is also for Unity team.)

8. spiney199

spiney199

It's a component. You add it like you do any other component. Just use the search bar in the add component menu.

9. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

Can you show me some screenshot or show where to find from the menus? Like i said, what I see in the unity3d manual is not what i can find in my editor. Be kind enough to show the screenshot.

10. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Please describe your solution. You mentioned "I have already sent a bug report", please share the bug number and I can associate your solution to it.

11. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

I'll share it with you privately. Your team did say not to expose the details. I also prefer to keep my details private. Kindly accept the private chat invitation soon.

12. spiney199

spiney199

C'mon mate, adding a component shouldn't be this hard.

But here:

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  13. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

ok thanks. I didn't think it's a different component. I'll test on my projects and then update you all with the results.

14. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

I've tried:
    - 1- adding both Position and rotation constraints, freeing Z only.
    - 2 Point #1 - with and without rigidbody. I can confirm that the performance of my project has not been improved in any way.
    Any other ideas?

15. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I see your bug report. Does your solution work that you elude to here, and mention in your last bug comment? I'm not clear why you are saying "any other ideas".

16. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

"Any other ideas" means I have no idea how to solve this. I already started to google other unity 3d games and few have short simple steps for me to follow. In the past, I bugged your team to create short simple ones. Can you all improve on this? I'm sure those new to unity will be very happy and grateful. Please seriously consider this.

Nothing works at all. See my private conversation with you.

17. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I will admit that I am a bit confused. You said in your first post "I just replied stating this solution was found" and also "I managed to extract code to get it working on the smartphone". When I asked what your solution was, you replied "No, I can't share the steps". At any rate, let's hope that QA can help clear it up!

18. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

1 - I followed this on youtube.
    2 - The instructions only showed for keyboard and desktop / laptop. (As stated above to be clear).
    3 - It was my own effort to extract code from your own tutorials to apply in this case to make it work on the phone to make it fun and interesting.
    4 - Only the free constraints work on the desktop / laptop as expected. It does NOT work on the phone as should be. That's why I'm wondering why the behaviour is different.

Ask your team to check this out. If they are not happy, I can share the youtube link but only in the report, not here in the forum.

19. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I understand now that this is a private YouTube video that you created, sorry for the confusion. You will want to add any relevant information to the bug report.

20. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

I will add that later in the report. For now, the case is still under investigations. In the meantime, you can help by asking your team to add new tutorials. As I stated, there will be new people who can benefit. I'm not the only person learning. You should be able to accept and understand this.

21. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

The video would help in the investigation, please add as much information as you can as soon as possible. You will be happy to know that we have a dedicated team working on new tutorials!

22. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

OK I will. I look forward to new useful videos. Special request to them using you to add extra information so beginners like me don't have to waste time checking the internet and end up finding outdated, not very useful things.

23. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

Hello Jeff,

I just sent an e-mail to your team. Whilst I made a mistake stating that free positions was not used in the past, I was wrong. Apprarently, free position was used. However, this does not dismiss my thread. I informed your team that the replica project which i used to test by halting x and y, leaving z free DOES work well. I have even tested it on my phone and it's working as expected. So despite the mistake in my title, it's confirmed 100% that there exist some bug in the free position is simply not working. So now let's see how smart your team is in finding out why the bug suddenly came back when it working just find many long versions back.

24. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Sorry I don't follow. So it "DOES work well", or "simply not working". This is the public YouTube video that you are referring to. It was not produced by Unity. You'll probably want to clarify in the bug where in the video you are referring to. So you know, I'm not on that team, there is no need to mention me in your bug reports. I only randomly browsed to this thread and I try to help where I can

25. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

Jeff,
    I used the project Roll-A-Ball as the example and created a replica. And when i restricted the movement, it does work. It only moves back and forth. So can you check with the team why it doesn't work here? That's all I want to know. I would appreciate if they can update me soon.

It does work well - the roll-a-ball replica I created to test on my phone.
    Simply not working - the game I created which works only on player mode. Doesn't work on my phone.
    I hope this clarifies your confusion.

26. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You'll want to determine what is different between the projects. And I would not be able to "check with the team" as you suggest, I would ask that you keep the issue defined within the conversation in the bug report, thanks for understanding.

27. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

Yes. Sure. I already created a new project with the new version and I don't think I can solve it. Hence, the bug report was necessary.

28. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

So you have two projects, using the same version of Unity. One works, the other doesn't, and you're not able to determine what is different between them. Just to clarify.

29. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

To answer your question: No they are 2 different versions. So how? Are you saying my code is wrong now?

I don't want to sound discourteous, but could I reply further questions to the bug team? I don't think putting them in the forum is going to benefit anyone.

30. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yes, the bug team will be looking at this forum thread. I did not say anything about your code. So you can only reproduce with one version of Unity, and not the other? Although you have the versions scattered in your bug report, you might want to summarize the version information, "works in version x, but not in version y." That does sound like a bug at our end. And at your request, I will no longer assist here. Good luck on your project.

31. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

Before you leave permanently, can you get a member of the bug team here for courtesy reasons? Then perhaps I can have private conversations with them. Could you help on this?

32. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I apologize, my understanding is that you were able to resolve your issue by using a different Unity version. So hopefully you are unblocked now. Understood there still may be a bug in the other Unity version you mentioned, so QA can still look at the bug.

33. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

As a closure, do I bother expecting the bug team to reply to my e-mail since they haven't done so? In the future, do I inform you as well since no one bothered replying except for you? Beware that if you do handle my questions again, it means I'm passing you the message like what you did earlier despite not being in the bug report team. Kindly carefully decide if you are ok. If not, I will just put a message on the forum and it's probably not going to be checked - by you or anyone since you are not involved and no member from bug team bothered replying.

34. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue.

35. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

It's not solved yet. I'm still waiting for the QA team to reply.

Since you did not answer my question, I consider you aren't happy with me asking you questions in the forum in future. I'll just put feedback in the future. That way, YOU decide if you can help or not.

36. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Sorry I don't follow, you said it was resolved by updating your Unity version. Plus you mentioned you have a solution, but declined to share the details or the video that you're following as if it were private information. In the future, you might consider being more forthcoming in the issue details, I understand bugs can be frustrating. Please review Kurt's post on how to productively report a bug. Screenshots, versions, logs, steps to reproduce and things you've tried so far would help. If it is working in roll-a-ball and not yours, it's up to you at this point (not QA) to find the differences.

37. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

JeffD, I did not solve ANY problems at all. They are still in the investigation stage. I apologize if I did not report my information properly. I always thought everyone here is an expert and knows more. What I can say now is: I definitely managed to create a different better project where I succeeded limiting the object's movement using the so-called constraints. But I'm unsure why it just didn't work in the other project I sent. The "other project" which I created is a different thing based on yet another youtube video. Whatever it is, the constraints did work. So this is what is puzzling me.

38. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Experts perhaps, but not mind readers! It would be up to you to find the differences that you introduced in your working project. I'm glad you resolved your issue

Ruslank100 and Kurt-Dekker like this.
  39. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

Jeff, again, the new project does work but it does something different. I also just opened another thread asking for some help. Can you check and try?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.