Search Unity

Written Tutorials

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by LunarNoire, Sep 24, 2017.

1. LunarNoire

LunarNoire

Hi everyone:

I'm new to Unity and wanted to know are there any written versions of the beginner tutorials. I am not against video, but the constant having to pause, rewind and resize becomes frustrating and having a written version would be great. I know some people do well with video but it's not for everyone. I feel like the constant having to stop the video interrupts the learning process and there is a lot of information to absorb. Having written material would also make it easier to go back and reference certain parts versus having to go and find x minutes in a video for review purposes. Thank you in advance for those who reply back.

Joe-Censored and nat42 like this.
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You must be over 25. :)

Personally, I'm with you; I greatly prefer material in written form over video. But then, I'm also over 25.

So let's see, there are some decent (if somewhat dated) ones at Ray Wenderlich. There are also some at Catlike Coding. And then, there's this one I wrote for Gamasutra, though it's not really aimed at beginners. (I'm also guilty of making a video tutorial on another topic, so I'm down with the yoots, too.)

Hopefully others will chime in here with pointers to other good written tutorials.

SarfaraazAlladin likes this.
  3. LunarNoire

LunarNoire

Thank you for the links and the reply back. Yes I'm in the >25 group too lol. I do use a combination of video and written for learning programming and find it works out well. It would probably be less painful too (learning Unity) if Windows 10 wasn't trying to open up things that I don't need open such as visual studios.

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Visual Studio is the standard way of editing your C# (Unity) code on Windows. However, for what it's worth, I will now make my standard glowing recommendation for Script Inspector 3. Not free, but worth every penny and more — it literally changed my life the day I found it, and it's now the first thing I install on any new project. With that, you will almost never need to launch Visual Studio (or any other external code editor).

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Its nothing to do with the yoots. Video tutorials pay significantly more then written ones. And tutorial makers will go where the money is.

But if you like text, you can't go past reading the manual.

6. megabrobro

megabrobro

You must be over 40... the RTFM days :D

7. sadsack

sadsack

I like a good old book, I am over 70

8. megabrobro

megabrobro

I definitely learn more from books, as long as they are good. On rare occasions though I have watched a video of someone doing a part that I have read many times and when I actually see and hear them talk through it the penny drops instantly :D

9. squarelife

squarelife