Search Unity

WPF

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by chrisk, Mar 21, 2019.

1. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, it seems like UIElement currently is a very simple framework, missing many controls.
    Given how slow thing is moving at Unity, it will probably take years before it can mature.

MS WPF is opensource now and they have been around for a decade. There are tons of controls useful controls in WPF. Instead of reinventing the wheel, why don't we add WPF support to Unity with some extensions? This will open large opportunities to bring many WPF libraries/applications into Unity. It makes sense for the Editor at least. I know it's possible without too much work and I'll be much faster to bring WPF into Unity then to wait UIElement to mature.

Please give us a choice whether to use WPF for sophisticated Editor or UIElement for just simple Inspector.

Thanks.

2. chrisk

chrisk

The more I look at UIElement, I think it's only good for creating UI for the Inspector. It seriously lacks many controls and I don't think it will ever come close to WPF where we can make full-blown Editor easily. Even if it does, it will take many many years and who knows what's going to happen before that? I've witnessed so many dead(same as) projects.

From what I see, except for uss, UIElement is trying to copy WPF. If you are trying to copy, why not just support WPF?? You could have saved many hours doing that and we end up having a much more versatile tool.

I strongly suggest that we support WPF inside of Unity. I know there is(are) game engine that supports WPF from years ago. The situation is much better these days as WPF is now open source.

WPF => Full-blown Editor with all bells and whistles attached.
    UIElement => Inspector and that's it.

For those who don't know what WPF is capable of, here is a library that I used in the past.
    Check out the number of controls that they have and you will see how the better world we can live in.
    https://www.telerik.com/products/wpf/overview.aspx

Imagine having them in Unity. Unity is blessed by Net world and why not take advantage of it? It will be really a waste of huge opportunity if not.

Thanks.

3. runner78

runner78

The open source version of WPF is running on .NET core 3 and Windows only.

4. chrisk

chrisk

Sure, it's not a simple copy-and-paste. .Net Core will run on most of the platforms and I heard somewhere that Unity will also support it in the future.
    Even if it doesn't, WPF originally was running on .Net 3.0. I'm saying it will be easier and faster to make WPF work in .Net 4x since we have the source, rather than to reinvent the new wheels.

BTW, is .Net Core going to be supported in the future?
    Thanks.

5. runner78

runner78

.NET is multiplatform, but not WPF and requires the Microsoft.Windows.Compatibility package.

6. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

You might want to look into assets like NoesisGUI which sounds more like what you are looking for.