Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

WP plugin problem

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Lele, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Lele

Lele

2. BFS-Kyle

BFS-Kyle

Yes, it is possible - follow the guide exactly, but instead of making a property, make a public static method and just call that in your code.

3. Lele

Lele

Thanks Kyle! It works with almost all my methods...the problems now are with the async methods! Do you know I manage them?

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

They don't even need to be static, non static ones should work as well.

As for asynchronous methods - uhh that will be ugly. You'll have to block them with .Wait(), if that's available, and if it's not (like in Networking case), using C++ would be much easier. You can reference WinRT Components from the plugin directory, and that should work fine.

5. Lele

Lele

Thank you for this info Tautvydas!

For what concerns the asynchronus methods I need to use a "public async void" method and in it I'm calling something like "await blablabla"...shouldn't it behave like .Wait() you suggested?

6. BFS-Kyle

BFS-Kyle

What I have used is a two-step process for async methods.

In your function, declare a public void function

Code (csharp):
    1. public void DoSomething()
    Then declare a private async void function (ONLY in the Windows Phone 8 plugin, doesn't need to exist in the .NET 3.5 plugin)

Code (csharp):
    1. private async void DoSomethingAsync()
    Finally, in the DoSomething function, it should start the async function call.

If you need to return a value after the async function, consider using a callback function or an event to listen to.

-Kyle