Search Unity

Would This Macbook Pro Be Suitable for my Development Needs?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Samtastic, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Samtastic

Samtastic

I been speaking to a well established company who trade in PC's and laptops, and I asked them about if they had a Macbook in Silver, and they came back saying they have a 16 inch Macbook Pro that only has 10 battery cycle counts and has the following specifications:
    Silver 16″ Apple MacBook Pro Touch. Intel i7. 16GB. 512GB

Condition:

• Grade A in original box with original power adaptor.
    • Battery cycle count of only 10.
    Specifications
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 (9th Gen) 2.6 GHz (4.5 GHz) / 12 MB Cache
    • Memory: 16 GB DDR4
    • Storage: 512GB SSD
    • Display: 16″ LED backlight 3072 x 1920 – 226 ppi
    • Graphics:
      • AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB
      • Intel UHD Graphics 630
    • Keyboard: UK
    • Keyboard Backlight: Yes
    • Integrated Webcam: Yes
    • Networking: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5.0
    • Colour: Silver
    • Dimensions (WxDxH):35.79 cm x 24.59 cm x 1.62 cm
    • Weight: 2 kg
    • Operating System: Big Sur

The games I have planned to make for MacOS are lightweight games like a version of a game called Brain Shift which I call Mob Shift and the biggest graphical game I have plans to do is a fan remake of a game called Tetris Worlds like the GameCube version. In addition, I'm helping out a reverse engineering team who are reversing a light 90's game Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus and planning to make it bigger in 2.5D like New 'n' Tasty. Would it be worth buying an i9 Mac? I have an i7 gaming laptop with an 8GB RTX 3070 that plays all my games fine including Soulstom, Oddworld's biggest Unity game.

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

I can't speak to this exact model, but here are the specs of my personal MBP:
    So, pretty much inferior to that one in every way that matters, and I've used it on quite a number of Unity projects. Obviously you won't be doing anything too advanced, including VR, but I think you recognize that.

Do you just want the MBP for doing macOS builds, since your laptop is vastly superior? If that's the case, I would highly recommend you look into the Mac Mini instead. You can even run it headless and just remote to it from your Windows laptop to kick off builds. I have to imagine it'd save you at least $1000 that way.

But if you're set on getting the laptop and the price is fine with you, I'd say it's sufficient for what you plan on doing with it.

JoeStrout likes this.
  3. Samtastic

Samtastic

Yes ideally I need a Macbook Pro for my MacOS and iOS builds along with my video editing and music production stuff I do on a Mac with software like Logic.

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

If that's what you're looking for, then yeah, go with what you want. The MBP in question should be able to handle that.

Samtastic likes this.
  5. Samtastic

Samtastic

Cool. Then I will probably go with the Mac they're offering. It will be cheaper to buy one reconditioned than a new one. It hasn't been used that much, only 10 battery cycles!

6. Schneider21

Schneider21

Yeah, that's basically new. I just ordered a new PC recently to replace my old MBP, and as excited as I am... I'll miss the MBP. The best thing about them is how -- if you take care of them -- they last for years beyond what I'd ever consider using most Windows laptops.

Hope you enjoy it!

Samtastic likes this.