Search Unity

Would this be a good way to start using unity in 2d for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by shivanthing, Dec 18, 2015.

1. shivanthing

shivanthing

Hello there. New to unity. Know programming basics... extreme basics. ;)

But I have a question, and it's about learning. I really want to jump into my own project, and was wondering whether I'd be able to start prototyping some simple stuff while learning stuff at the same time. In other words; I apply concepts as I go, and build on the prototype as I learn new concepts and ask questions relevant to my design. Would that hold me back? Or must I do the tutorials.

I did do the roll a ball tutorial, but it was a month ago. I think some of those concepts will bounce back, though. I know some stuff about unity already, but only enough to make an object move, so to speak, and not really according to any laws that would limit its movement.

Note, my maths background is limited to some elementary algebra. As for what 'prototype' can be defined as in my case, im looking forward to something in the vein of a cheap 2d side scrolling hack and slash with a block and counter mechanic. Nothing else nothing more until I've finished that.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and I hope to learn.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Do whatever seems like fun to you. Some people love watching YouTube videos; they should watch a couple a day (or however much time they have for such things). Some people love hands-on experimenting; if that's you, do that.

Unity's documentation for the most part is pretty good, so familiarize yourself with both the scripting reference and the manual. And also go through the Learn section of the site, and at least read the titles of the various tutorials, so you will know what's there. Finally, if you're making a 2D side scroller, I really think you should check out my article on 2D animation methods in Unity... it turns out there are several different ways to tackle it, with some pretty big pros and cons, so reading that will help you start in whichever direction is right for you.