Search Unity

Would like to know your thought on My Snakes Ladders

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by pezz, Jan 10, 2012.

1. pezz

pezz

From start to this point took me like 5 days
    Die is rolling and player is moving.
    You can test here

Give me some ideas guys.
    Should I continue, or am I wasting my time?

2. tatelax

tatelax

I think it could potentially be fun, after a lot of work of course. I think maybe this would be fun for the iPhone, or the younger audience.

3. pezz

pezz

I need some ideas though :(

4. tatelax

tatelax

You could do some awesome camera effects! You could force the player to move the amount of spaces forward based on the number rolled by the die. You could to more players, high scores, etc.

5. Demigiant

Demigiant

To be honest, even if polished, I don't think this game would be much fun, unless you come out with some crazy and out-of-the-lines idea. But! It surely is a great way to learn more about Unity, and then create something way better. Thus I'd suggest you go on, and implement any idea that comes to your mind, like tatelax said.

6. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

you need it to be a 3d board imo... I reckon you could make an awesome version of snakes and ladders in unity... definately not top down like a standard board though

7. pezz

pezz

The player already moves based on the number the die shows.

Thats what I was thinking. Its kinda of a boring game. Unless I do something spectacular.

My next feature is multiplayer.

The board is 3d.

The table is also 3d.

I just have it at a weird angle.

8. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Side-scroller.

9. derek_miller

derek_miller

I liked your work. I am no programmer so I donno the work per se, but I do know that if released to a perfect target and on a perfect platform, it will click!!

10. pezz

pezz

omg... I just realized I have the old version of this in the web player :(
    Going to update right away.

11. pezz

pezz

New version is up guys.
    Please test and give feed back.

For the die, I used the bouncy ball physics, and added some calculations of my own to make it spin.

12. pezz

pezz

Anyone tried the updated version yet?

13. Tasarran

Tasarran

I don't think you're wasting your time at all.
    Even if you're just grinding up XP in your Programmer class :D

A couple of comments:

The die behaves very strangely, it bounces around really hard at first, then sort of sticks, it doesn't feel natural.
    IMHO, if the rolling doesn't seem like a real die rolling, you should just generate a random number and show the die face...

There was some strangeness on my fist move... Rolled two, only moved one.

14. pezz

pezz

Thanks for the encouragement :).

I know the die still needs to be more realistic.

15. JasonB

JasonB

I disagree with just generating a random number for the die roll. Sure, it's simple, but part of the fun is making something new and interesting, and then making it actually work well.

A few things about the die (I've worked maybe too extensively with the physics engine over the past few months!):

1. It moves way too slow. Your scale is way off, or the gravity is too low. Either way, I'd say greatly increase the gravity. Grab a real die and give it a toss, and notice how quickly it drops and comes to rest. You should be aiming for that, because right now you're waiting for over 5 seconds watching the die fly around in moon gravity. :)

2. Involve the player! Let the player grab the die and throw it themselves. Implement a failsafe to prevent players from doing intentionally weak rolls. When you're just clicking a button to roll the die, you feel rather disconnected from the physics, like you're not responsible for your roll. Imagine if someone else rolled your dice for you when you played a board game in real life. Sure, it might not make a real difference, but you want to do it yourself.

3. Is the die model not centered? As it spins, it looks like it has a very weird center of gravity, like it's filled with water or something.

As far as the failsafe is concerned, just make it so that no matter how hard or light the player decides to throw the die, it will always have some random amount of medium strength torque applied.

16. Tasarran

Tasarran

I wasn't trying to say that I thought just generating a random number was better, I think having rolling dice is great.

I just meant to say that if the dice-rolling didn't feel right, it was more of a distraction than a benefit...

17. Tasarran

Tasarran

Just had a thought...

For making this game more flashy, what do you think of turning the board so that it is vertical?
    In other words, make it so the board is like a big platformer game, a big Donkey Kong type level.

Just an idea, take it or scrap it :)

18. pezz

pezz

Tell me how?:confused:
    I am thinking ti would be good for tablets.
    Good ideas there :)

I admit the die is moving too slow as well.

For throwing the die, do you have any ideas I can implement?

The board is vertical...
    Or I am not understanding.

Can you elaborate :):?

19. Tasarran

Tasarran

Sure, what I mean is instead of it being on a board, like the real game, you transform that into a bunch of horizontal platforms that the player moves along right and left.

When you get to the end of a row, you go up, in the Y direction. When you go up a ladder, you actually go upwards, rather than just toward the top of the board.

Instead of it being a flat board you move on, turn it into a journey to the top of an 'ant-farm' shaped level...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012