Search Unity

Would it be possible to make a Tennis game? Something like Virtua Tennis or Super Tennis on the SNES

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by RichAllen2023, Sep 25, 2016.

1. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Topic.

Big fan of Tennis games on the consoles here after I played Super Tennis on the SNES way back in the early 90s, and then the Virtua Tennis series on Xbox in more recent years.

Anyway after playing Virtua Tennis again last night on PS3, I'd like to see if anyone can create a good Tennis sim on PC or consoles?

I'd have a go myself but I don't have a PC to run Unity and even if I did it would be a bit beyond my technical skill to make something as awesome as Super Tennis was.

I do know that technically Pong was a Tennis game and would be relatively simple in Unity, but I'd like to see something a bit cooler.

*edited for spelling typos*

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. Ryiah

Ryiah

astracat111 likes this.
  3. astracat111

astracat111

Of course it's possible, the idea though is 'how much time does it take'?

It looks simple...in fact it's probably simpler in Unity to do than in another creator if you're using Unity's physics engine, but anything like that takes a LOT more time than you would think, even though something like Tennis looks extremely simple.

Being a really avid tennis player and gamer myself I can safely say, having tried pretty much every tennis game on the market at this point, that the best tennis games by FAR are Top Spin 3 for PC with mods and Tennis Elbow (worth the $20 on steam or standalone). Neither are programmed with Unity, but Unity could create anything it's all a matter of programming skill.

4. terryrmiller

terryrmiller

Yeah why not? Anything is possible when comes to making games with unity. But you must have a complete understanding of that particular game and its rules. Like you want to build tennis virtual game, but did you read the tennis basics? Comprehensive understanding is a must otherwise, it will become impossible.