Search Unity

Would it be possible to get an example of a rigged character with movement for Blender?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Reverend-Speed, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

Hi there! I'm a moderately experienced Unity programmer, and I'm looking into doing some 3D character animation within Unity. Ideally, I'd like to be able to look at some best practice examples to see how Unity advises that characters are rigged and animated, with some solid naming conventions - while I've done work with this in the past, it'd be nice to find some Unity standard.

Investigating this, I've looked into the Starter Assets pack for third person control. There's a lot of information I can gather from this pack, but all the models are supplied as .fbx. That's fine - normally I manually export my models from Blender as .fbx when putting them into Unity so I can maintain the maximum control over the process.

However, Blender's .fbx importer currently has trouble separating the animations into discrete actions, instead outputting them as a single animation data which needs to be re-separated into multiple parts - which, obviously, is somewhat imprecise.

Is there any way that Unity could provide the Armature .fbx model in a .blend format with animations retained, or perhaps export the character in a format which would more precisely import into Blender? Overall, it's a small issue, but it'd be helpful to get this kind of documentation. Thank you.