Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Would appreciate some advice just for brainstorming how I'd animate melee attacks while moving

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Oir_the_tentacular, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Oir_the_tentacular

Oir_the_tentacular

Hello all!

At the moment, I have a player sprite that melee attacks with a sword. I simply have 8 different attack animations for 8 different directions (holy it took a long time to make that spritesheet). The animation involves the player taking a step forward to slash which means it looks really weird if the player keeps moving while attacking. Because of this, I make the player unable to move while performing the slash.

I'm unsatisfied with how this feels and think my game would really benefit from the player being able to move while attacking. However, I'm really unsure of how to even approach this:

Do I animate the legs and upper body as two separate objects? I mean, the legs have to keep walking while an attack is taking place if I don't want it to look weird. But how would I deal with the player walking backwards while attacking forwards? Just create another 8 leg animations for walking backwards? Is there any easier way to do it?

My sprite is an actual person - it's not pixelated or super stylized so the animations are quite noticeable and things will look off if the animations are sloppy or don't line up properly.

Has anybody else dealt with this? If so, would greatly appreciate hearing how you approached it.

Thank you for your time!