Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Would a VR Action Platformer work? Or would it cause too much VR sickness?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by soulcaught12, Aug 11, 2018.

1. soulcaught12

soulcaught12

Hi All,

My team is about to start development on a VR Action Platformer. We created a survey to see if people would be interested in the idea before we started active development. We'd really appreciate it if you could fill out the survey if you like or hate the general idea. We also didn't just want to put out the survey without giving back so included at the end of the survey is a link to a 4k wallpaper from a level mockup we did.

http://info.dvnc.tech/vr-idea-survey

Game Idea:
    VR Action Platformer where the player plays as a hero in training. The player gains new superpowers by completing missions and exploring the general area. Each power has a movement (and possibly attack) focused ability. By combining multiple abilities players will be able to create their traversal systems (allowing the player to adapt the VR experience to what they can enjoy). We plan for the missions to be timed courses where you have to get to location in a certain amount or catch up to a specific object. We also want to add in attacking, however, we fear it might be a bit much with the fast movement in VR. Finally, we plan to add a ton of skins and visual focused loot.

Thanks for reading and please let me know what you think! :)

2. vertexx

vertexx

Some will find it does induce sickness..some will happily play with no effects.
    This seems to be pretty normal for this type of action game with VR.
    I'd say the main problem would be profitability.
    Is anyone making money from VR games?
    These VR games do suffer from poor resolution due to the available hardware and the lenses used don't help with brighter contrasting scenes. I think most serious Gamers will wait a while yet.
    VR is still very young and very fragile. A lot of fanboys but a lot of VR gogles gathering dust too.
    Check out the Oculus site and other VR sites and see what folk write/think about games similar to yours?
    Good luck though. Just beware of the hype !!

3. dl290485

dl290485

There are statistics out there for how many people get motion sickness, although not sure how well it will pin down exactly how sick.

I can tell you this though for something anecdotal: I have learned (VERY QUICKLY. Like in SECONDS, and irrefutably confirmed in minutes) that I am best to not even touch a game with ANY live locomotion in it. The INSTANT the camera starts to move (without my head doing it) then I lose my balance. Literally I sway instantly and can possibly fall over. It instantly makes me nauseous, and the worst thing is that while it comes on instantly it takes a long time to pass. I can feel sick for easily half an hour after just a few minutes of movement.

So really it's all down to numbers. You first consider how many people play games, then how many on your platform, then how many in your genre, then how many of them are ruled out by motion sickness. When roughly half of people get motion sick at some point, I don't know how many people are left for you to make a solid profit.

4. BlackPete

BlackPete

Buy a PSVR. Get games like Resident Evil 7 (if you can stand the horror).

There's quite a few PSVR games that are very actiony, and while I'm sure some people find them nauseating, there are others who don't.

If you want to make an action platformer, and you can stand playing it yourself, then by all means, continue developing it if that's what you want to develop.