Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Would a version of Snake be good for a first timer?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by RichAllen2023, Sep 13, 2016.

1. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Topic.

This thing we're doing at my Digital Arts course is our first foray into game making, and I'm thinking of doing a kind of Snake game (even though I'm actually terrified of Snakes in general! Tonight's episode of Neighbours was pretty darn scary!).

Would this be simple enough?

In that book I got from eBay last week there's a version of Asteroids called Captain Blaster which looks OK, but I'd like to try something a bit more advanced even though I'm a total coding novice, apart from a bit of experience in VB.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Snake is actually a little hard for someone new to programming. You need to keep an array of body segment positions, create/destroy segments on the fly, etc.

It's not awful, but there are a lot of much simpler concepts out there — Angry Birds, Flappy Bird, Asteroids (as you said), etc. Don't scoff at something because it's simple — simple is what you should do for your first game. You can work up to more advanced stuff later.

jhocking, Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

jhocking and JoeStrout like this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This. Snake is deceptively difficult. I wouldn't recommend it for a first project.

Build flappy birds or space invaders first. Build snake second.

JoeStrout likes this.
  5. tedthebug

tedthebug

Yeah, I made a snake variant in Unity. I spent about a week nutting out how to do the movement so it looked smooth & turned a sharp 90°.

Space invaders is easy, you can then expand & start using sin, cos & tan to get interesting enemy movement. You can even make the bases out of lots of little blocks & destroy them as they get shot so it looks like they are disintegrating.

This is it if you wanted to check it out. It was a group project for a short course, I did the game stuff, someone else did the storing of the answers etc & showing the results & the other person did the entry screens. It was meant to be usable to teach kids their times tables.

http://gamejolt.com/games/math-snake/182648

JoeStrout likes this.
  6. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

We started working on a Boulderdash clone this morning, should be ready to show y'all in a few weeks.

7. tedthebug

tedthebug

Good luck. If you're allowed, share it in the design forum on the Feedback Friday thread (it will be stickied at the top).

Kiwasi likes this.