Search Unity

WorldComposer a tool to create real World AAA quality terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Dec 6, 2013.

1. eagle555

eagle555

Sorry for the delayed reply, as I try to reply right away. Unity didn't notify by email I had new forum messages.

I think we have contact by email (if not let me know). WorldComposer works fine on my side in U2019.4:
    upload_2020-11-1_10-18-41.png

For the quickest way to use it see:

Kjelle69 likes this.
  2. crownracing

crownracing

We tried extremely hard to make WC work, but it never produced a terrain in Unity. Unfortunately,
    we had to ask for a refund.

3. crownracing

crownracing

Update! Voila!! We finally got a terrain with WC, by deleting Unity 2019.4 and reloading Unity 2019.4 LTS with
    the standard 3D template and got a terrain image for the first time. Don't know exactly why it worked, but we're very happy it did.

Kjelle69 and hopeful like this.
  4. eagle555

eagle555

Yes I think it has to do that you are new to Unity and still had to learn how to use the Scene camera etc. The Scene camera being under the terrain was probably the issue all the time of not seeing the terrain ;)

Great to hear you got it working now :) And for anybody else reading this World Composer is very easy to use:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  5. crownracing

crownracing

UPDATE: We have been working with WC for about two weeks. It does produce a terrain
    from satellite images but the view at ground level is not clear enough for our purposes. We
    applied microsplats to improve clarity at ground level but this was not successful. It is
    simply too much to expect a satellite image taken at thousands of feet in the air to produce
    clear, crisps images at ground level. Drone imagery produced at lower elevation would
    surely provide the clarity.

6. Seneral

Seneral

Just jumping in here to say that usually for any game that uses the terrain on ground level (e.g. FPS) you'd only use the downloaded imagery as a guide. You can use other tools, e.g. TC2, to sample the color and height and combine it with other rules to make more complex structures and distribute biomes using the color map. E.g. dark green -> forest biome, light green -> grasslands, and of course additional height variations - the color map would at maximum be used as a global color map in your shader.
    Also heavily depends on where you look, some regions have really usable resolutions, some are just not great.

7. eagle555

eagle555

Yes as Seneral explains those satellite images are used as global images for far away, then close-up you need to create details with splat textures that are tiled. TerrainComposer 2 can do this together with MicroSplat.

8. Tony-Lovell

Tony-Lovell

The Window->World Composer function does nothing at all for me on 2020.1.f1

tone

9. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks for reporting. It works on my side:
    upload_2020-11-24_8-8-26.png

Try to click the `Layout` button (see screenshot) and then choose `Reset Factory Settings...` and restart Unity and then open WorldComposer window again. Let me know if you can get it to work.

10. GabrielPP312

GabrielPP312

Does it import buildings?

11. eagle555

eagle555

Good question, WorldComposer only exports heightmap and satellite images from real world data and can create terrains out of those.

12. Davinder_Singh

Davinder_Singh

Is there a way to raise or lower the created terrain?

13. eagle555

eagle555

Good question, yes you can:
    upload_2020-12-14_7-27-20.png

With the heightmap curve you can modify the terrain, so to lower need to lower the curve and raising vice versa. With every change you can click the `Generate Heightmap` button (First you need to create the terrains with the `Create Terrain` button).

14. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

Hello Does world composer work in Unity 2018.4 LTS? Does the application need to be connected to Bing in order to show the terrain? All I need really is to download the height map and texture to use in Unity Terrain... Can this do so?

Regards,
    Carlos

15. eagle555

eagle555

Hi, thanks for contacting. Yes it works in U2018.4 LTS. Yes you need to have an internet connection for World Composer to show the map. However you can download heightmaps and satellite images and World Composer creates Unity terrains out of it in the Unity Editor, so for that you don't need an internet connection.

Cheers,
    Nathaniel

16. asdferasv

asdferasv

Hello, I am using this plugin in Unity2019.4.7f1.I applied for the Bing Key according to the tutorial, but there was no map. If there was a map, it could not zoom out and capture the terrain.Is this a Unity version issue?

17. newguy123

newguy123

I'm a bit late to the party and just now found this incredible looking Asset. The post above was from 2013.

Some pre-sales questions then please:

1) Was Google Maps ever added?

2) Does World Composer entirely create its own terrain etc?

3) Can World Composer be used in conjunction with Gaia Pro somehow? I like the simplicity this tool has in capturing real world maps, but then I like the features Gaia Pro has for adding things to terrain, the weather systems etc.

4) Can something like EasyRoadsPro be used in conjunction with this tool, to add new roads, that is not yet shown on any real world maps?

5) Is HDRP Supported?

6) Is HDRP with Raytracing Supported?

18. asdferasv

asdferasv

I used the downloaded version 1.61 of world composer before. After creating Bing key, there was an error of Cannot Load Image: Download Failed. How should I solve it

19. one_one

one_one

Was the region alignment that was mentioned some time in 2017 ever implemented? And where are the regions stored?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  20. newguy123

newguy123

Hello???

21. hopeful

hopeful

Especially in an old thread, it can help to alert the owner to new posts. The Unity forum can slip up and not notify of new posts. The owner is @eagle555

22. mukki014

mukki014

@eagle555 Hi sir. I'm having a problem during apply method of image editor in world composer. I've exported all the maps and combine them as well. But when i hit apply it progresses then stuck at 8% for two hour then it progresses again to 31% and now it stuck again. Strange thing is I've not experienced this behavior ever. I've exported two maps successfully yesterday. But some how problem is occurring.
    Thank you

Edited- Do per pixel resolution determine how much time content aware fill take? I think yes because in previous cases I was using like 32m per pixel. 512 resolution heightmap for a mobile game for total of 34 km landscape and texture resolution was of 8k in total (4x4) tiles. But now I'm working with a smaller area like 8k area size hence my zoom level and per pixel resolution increase (quality) to 16m (1024 ) heightmap and 8k imagery in total now it's takes much more time still not able to finish the process though. Because I thought something is wrong with unity 2019.4 or even wrong with my system.

For previous cases it took max 30min for shadow removal.

Edited- I'm having following console errors.
    'IndexOutOfRangeException:Index was outside the bounds of the arrays
    Preimage_editclass.getpixelraw (buffer_classbuffer, system.int64 x , systemInt64 y) (at classes.cs:1718)

But these error goes away if I cleared them. But it happens while shadow removal also global setting prefab seems to import multiple times throughout the process.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  23. virtualgrounds

virtualgrounds

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  24. mukki014

mukki014

Terrains created with are standard unity terrain which you can save as prefab and there terrain data also been saved in asset directory. For exporting as the fbx or obj. You can use Gaia 1 or 2 even pro or use plugin like terrain to mesh. And for the texture you just have to copy paste the saved /downloaded textures to your 3d software in which you want to work with fbx files.
    The script you mentioned for that you have to add that script to every terrain object in the inspector one by one which is tedious process or you can simply buy terrain to mesh from asset store.

virtualgrounds likes this.
  25. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

Hi newguy123, hopefully this answers you questions:
    1. World Composer works with data from Bing Maps, use of the Google API has not been implemented.
    2. World Composer generates terrains from Bing Maps data
    3. Since standard Unity terrains are generated, you should be able to use them with any other tools or assets that work with standard terrains.
    4. As in (3) above, any tool or asset that works with standard terrains should be compatible with the terrains generated by World Composer.
    5. Yes, HDRP is supported
    6. No, Unity HDRP ray tracing does not support Unity Terrain.
    Please let me know if you have any other questions!

26. newguy123

newguy123

Well yeah, one maybe. My question was from Feb. Its now June. Thanks for the answer, but I dont know if you're a random user good samaritan or part of the dev team. Seems activity here is pretty much non existant, so also on the discord.

Why would anybody buy this asset without getting questions answered in a timely manor (ie in at least 5 days)?

27. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

Nathaniel has been busy since the beginning of the year, and he brought me on as part of the dev team for maintenance and support. I'm sorry you weren't able to get timely answers to you questions, my goal is to ensure that people get timely support moving forwards.

hopeful likes this.
  28. lychann

lychann

Hello~~~
    How about adding the building? is it possible to get the building like real world from map. it can create only hill, mountain like that?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  29. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

World Composer only gets heightmap and texturing data.

lychann likes this.
  30. soloRPG

soloRPG

Hi guys, I just grabbed World Composer yesterday and sent the Microsoft Bing Maps team an email regarding their EULA. I did not mention World Composer (or other options I am assessing), I simply mentioned the type of products I would be developing for commercial use. The description of my potential products:

----I am in the process of developing off-line, interactive applications depicting blah-blah-blah.....
    ----There will be no in-app streaming of Bing Maps content. As the extent of these small areas is known (and due to platform limitations) there is no need to stream Bing Maps. Essentially I would download a "chunk" of map data, modify it (create a terrain model for it) and use that "chunk" in the application. The user would only have offline access to that specific location. The only person streaming the maps would be me, and that is simply to download data for that location.
    ----There is no multi user/player component to these apps. They are completely offline.

According to Microsoft, the primary issue with my app (and anyone else's doing something similar) is that it represents a derivative product....a direct violation of the Bing Maps EULA (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/maps/product). Section 2-C for all those interested.

-------------------
    MICROSOFT via Email to Me:

"Hi John, Thank you for your description. Unfortunately, Bing Maps can’t support this use case since downloading content and creating derivative works is against the terms of use:

No Derivative Works. You will not modify or create a derivative work based on any Content. For example, the following are prohibited: (i) creating server-side modification of map tiles; (ii) stitching multiple static map images together to create other imagery products; or (iii) tracing or extracting features from Microsoft's maps, including imagery, to create a new work, such as a new mapping or navigation dataset."

So yes, if you do any of the above and MS gets wind of it they will snatch up your keys (and depending on the success of any product you may produce - show up for their cut)....and it looks as if they have every right to do so. In my case, not so much key usage so much as the entire concept is in violation of the EULA.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    nsosnoski likes this.
  31. Cascho01

Cascho01

I don´t get the raw heightmap into photoshop (V 23.1.0):

upload_2022-1-10_13-49-31.png

Please help - thank you!

32. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

Das Bild hat 16k und du willst es in 512Pixel quetschen?
    Wenn das 16384 sind muss das neue Bild 16385 haben.

33. one_one

one_one

Heightmaps are usually single channel and have a bit depth of 16 (for better precision/vertical resolution). That also seems to be the case with your heightmap, if it's 512 by 512 px and 524288 bytes.

@Andreas12345 Please stick to English on this forum. Also, the 16k image is an example screenshot from the manual, I'd assume.

Cascho01 likes this.
  34. Cascho01

Cascho01

Damned I was sure I´ve tried all combinations but this one is correct:
    upload_2022-1-10_17-6-29.png

Still I have a question:
    The maximum resolution of my heightmap covering all tiles is 512x512, which is not very much.
    But when I generate the Terrain and export the heightmaps from the tiles I get 512x512 per tile.
    Isn´t there an option to get one large heightmap that covers all tiles with maximum resolution per tile?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  35. heesungoh

heesungoh

The world composer tool currently uses raw files for elevation, so if I try to open the file with photoshop, always I must be rememer the with and height. how about the using 32bit-channel exr format? If you use the exr format, only it is required one file to store 16-bit height and normalized values.
    For example, you can store 16-bit height values in the red channel and normalized values in the green channel.

ftejada likes this.
  36. JJ-Jabb

JJ-Jabb

Hey, that's a great idea - I'll start looking into that. Would 16-bit grayscale PNGs work for you as well, or TGA?

37. DovlatyanHrak

DovlatyanHrak

Hey , it’s strange that no one had any questions for a long time)

I would like to know how I can combine the scale of terrain with the real world and unity?. What parameters should I pay attention

When a terrain is created in console it is written height of the terrain with the world real scale, this number does not match the real one
    what can I change