Search Unity

WorldComposer a tool to create real World AAA quality terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Dec 6, 2013.

1. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

My scenes keep coming out too small, and I can't figure out how to create them larger. Scale field doesn't let me change it and manually changing the terrain size glitches the terrain's image file.

2. Gekido1903

Gekido1903

Same issue. Like the person above this post. Can't change the value in the scale field, so at the moment my terrain is too small.

3. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

How can i scale terrain to be smaller since the size is way too big? I tried selecting all tiles and using uniform scale but each tiles start to overlap each others.

4. Print3d

Print3d

hi Nathaniel, i know you are busy with your D.R.O.N.E. project but...
    More than a year has passed and i see no updated manual, no tutorial, no explanation... nothing!
    Can you please update me on the "paint prefabs" feature as it was advertised or at least clearly state that you won't be woking on your assets anymore?
    I think that i had enough patience...
    I was unlucky to get onboard right when you stopped caring about your great assets!
    Thanks

RabidBat likes this.
  5. Imperatoss

Imperatoss

Hi, i have an Issue with World Composer. The World doesnt show up and is just black. Unity Throws this Error

Texture rectangle is out of bounds (32 + 768 > 8)
    UnityEngine.Texture2D:GetPixels(Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32)
    Map_tc:Update() (at Assets/WorldComposer/Editor/Map_tc.cs:3981)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

6. spoutnix

spoutnix

Hi,
    I have the same problem as Imperatoss, "Texture rectangle is out of bounds...", unable to use World Composer in Unity 2018.3.0f2.

Works fine in Unity 2018-2-17f1

Olivier

7. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

What is going on with World/Terrain Composer? I have both, and bought them to build a realistic map of my neighborhood. All of the videos and online materials are so out of date, it is ridiculous! Where is Nathaniel? It shouldn't matter what side project you are working on, you need to commit yourself to supporting your PAID works FIRST! I am getting absolutely ZERO results using these products.
    I have selected an area on the Bing map.
    upload_2018-12-27_18-17-3.png
    When I click on Export Heightmap or Export Images, the map screen turns a lovely shade of grey, and nothing seems to happen. I get 2 "raw" files in the output directory, both zero bytes. I've let it sit for an hour, nothing changes.

This is running on Windows10, Unity 2018.3.0f2, World Composer 1.610. If there is a NEW tutorial for creating a simple terrain from WC/TC2 I would appreciate a link.

Thanks,
    Mark

8. ChristianUK

ChristianUK

I have just come back to World Composer after not having used it for a while. Never had any problems in the past, worked really well and totally stable. But now I have the same problem I think. Then I try to export either heightmap or images, the map goes grey, nothing happens except that I get two zero sized files in the export directory.

9. kashifji2017

kashifji2017

Developer no longer replies now. I did not got answer even i mailed him . and it was 2 years ago and he still does not reply.This happens with me often that map turns grey. zoom out and hit F5 to refresh again and again. It solved problem in my case

10. kashifji2017

kashifji2017

terrain textures with world composer are too blurry. I replaced terrain textures with high resolution textures but these high quality terrain textures are still blurry in world composer terrain. The same textures looks great if i apply them to unity terrain. any solution?

11. Captain-Cutwood

Captain-Cutwood

On the other hand, there might be an explanation for the lack of replies from: Nathaniel

He might be laying somewhere at room temperature - if so - R.I.P.

Was considering buying his object combiner product very recently, but will have to stand back until there is more information as to customer service. Not replying on the forum is bad for sure, devastating to the product reputation. Here's hoping there is some recovery if he's in the hospital or something. Life isn't always easy even for a publisher, so we don't actually know what's up with this situation.

One solution might be to role back one's version of Unity to a level that works, create the terrains, and then import the finished objects into the scene in the current version of Unity 2018. That would basically be either by a package export of a terrain or alternatively I think I recall being able to move terrains around from project to project by drag and drop.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    RabidBat likes this.
  12. Captain-Cutwood

Captain-Cutwood

Confirmed: I was able to 'drag and drop' a large terrain created within World Composer from an earlier version of Unity and that terrain imported and behaved just fine when moved into Unity 2018.3.1f1.

Also have discovered that I can download a "Unity Hub" and after installed then I should be able to run more than one version of Unity on my computer using different project names - then either package a terrain or get it out of the assets folder via a project save followed by a drag and drop into the Unity 2018 Assets folder for import - once done you proceed as with any other addition of an object or terrain or other asset to be placed in a scene.

You can get the "Hub" at the same place you downloaded a copy of Unity Personal.
    https://store.unity.com/download?ref=personal
    And if you don't have a copy of an earlier version of Unity you can find one from that page also. Or-
    https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

The Unity Hub is not installed here on my computer yet, but that is the way I think it will be working. As said, the terrain made with another version of Unity was not a problem to import. Back to having fun with World Composer !!!
    So it's a little more complicated than working straight within 2018, but there it is described above as a work around.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  13. local306

local306

@eagle555 I recently got an email from Bing telling me that NAVTEQNA and NAVTEQEU datasources will be shutdown on March 1, 2020. Does that have any impact on this asset?

14. Captain-Cutwood

Captain-Cutwood

No, I don't think this notice applies to most users. From reading the notice it seemed to me that it was aimed at business organizations who use the system to map their product marketing activities or sales / customer locations etc. Not of any interest to myself as a Unity user.

local306 likes this.
  15. RabidBat

RabidBat

Nathaniel has replied just this last week on the Terrain Composer2 forum it seems. He has private messaged me directing me to it when I reached out to the D.R.O.N.E team on steam today about their absence from the assets they're selling on here.
    Click this link to see his post.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/ter...red-terrain-tool.151365/page-129#post-4316662

Hopefully we hear something about WorldComposer soon.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    hopeful likes this.
  16. eagle555

eagle555

Hey guys...

Like RabidBat mentioned I made a post in my TC2 forum, will also do here:

My apologies for my long absence. Long story...short...While I gave good support for 5 years since I started on the Asset Store, the last year I didn't have time anymore as I had too much work and support on my plate with our game. I was working on very complex systems, like I made our own networking solution from scratch and our multiplayer game around it. Now that the hardest part is done, I decided to come back and continue with my Assets again (support, fixes and new features). Also I agree with the complaints about non-support, as my Assets still seem to keep selling a little somehow. I think I made nice Assets, and it's a pity to give them up.

TC2 is now compatible with U2018.3 and U2019.x.

Today I'm testing WorldComposer and seems to work fine in U2018.3.8f1 on my side. I'm making some improvements and will go through the posts to fix any reported bugs.

Upon re-analyzing the WC GUI, I noticed that the `Create Terrain` part is a bit confusing of which part is for the heightmap and the images, so I re-arranged it:
    upload_2019-3-16_16-35-6.png

Nathaniel

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    ftejada, ikazrima, Seneral and 2 others like this.
  17. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks for your feedback. None of the tutorials for TerrainComposer 2 and WorldComposer are out of date. I'm not going to redo a tutorial just because I made some small changes that improves the overview in the GUI. You're right about the support though.

About your issues, I can indeed reproduce it in U2018.3.0f2, and it's because of the changed prefab system. It's something that is broken on Unity's side in this version as prefabs can't be modified by script, and WC uses a prefab to store the settings. You need to download the latest U2018.3.8 and the current version of WC works fine on it. Also it works fine in U2019.1 and U2019.2

I will switch it to use a scriptable object instead, so it will work in all U2018.3 versions.

Nathaniel

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    hopeful likes this.
  18. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

One thing I noticed recently when I was using i is that the system didn't seem to like making terrain without textures. I had downloaded just heightmap data and wanted to create terrain from that, with the intention of using other tools to create the textures and materials. Even though I had deselected the options to create textures, the console log still showed WC errors regarding it looking for and not finding textures.

This didn't prevent it from working but it was kind of odd given I had told it not to do that part.

19. HoosierGameGuy

HoosierGameGuy

First time user. Following your 24 hour guide with some modifications for the size. I got this error:

https://imgur.com/a/Fh1RHPd

There are no other applications running that would be accessing the directory. Anything I should be aware of?

20. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks for telling, I tested it with the new version I just submitted to the Asset Store and it works fine. I will DM you the download link for the new version.

It's because Unity tries to import the raw file, while WorldComposer is reading from it. I fixed it in the new version to read it at once, which is also faster and prevents this error. Before Unity didn't recognize raw files, that's why it always went good. I will DM you the download link for the new version.

Nathaniel

21. eagle555

eagle555

Hi everyone,

I just submitted the new update to the Asset Store:

WorldComposer 1.7

* Caution: It will reset everything because I needed to change the prefab saving to a scriptable object to work in all U2018.3 versions, as prefab modifications from script were simply not working with the new prefab system until ~U2018.3.8

Features:
    * Added compatibility for all versions of U2018.3 and U2019.x.
    * Added `WorldComposer` namespace to all scripts.

Improvements:
    * Faster downloads.
    * Faster heightmap generation.
    * Improved overview of `Create Terrain` GUI.
    * Using a scriptable object for global settings instead of a prefab.
    * Added option to disable auto lightmapping after creating terrains, this should be done manually.
    * Removed all warnings from all Unity versions.

Fixes:
    * Raw file in use Unity error message after creating terrain.
    * Terrain scale input field couldn’t be modified in `Create Terrain` GUI.
    * Made background color transparent working again.

WC_1.7.jpg

Release notes from now on can be found here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/worldcomposer-release-notes/

EDIT:
    It's live on the Asset Store now...

Nathaniel

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    ftejada and hopeful like this.
  22. HoosierGameGuy

HoosierGameGuy

23. eagle555

eagle555

I didn't use the build in updater, because in versions U2018.3.1 until U2018.3.7 it doesn't work. U2018.3.9 should work fine. I DM'ed you the download link yesterday, replied to your DM now.

24. Matthieu_DAO

Matthieu_DAO

Hello,
    Just download the last release on 2018.3.9f1 and the bing key doesn't work, I got the "HTTP/1.1 400 Bad request" and "HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found" errors.
    I've create all type of key to see what I got, but none work.

Am I doing something wrong ?

Anyone else with this issue ?

Thank you !

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  25. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Can you DM me a screenshot with your bing key entered inside WorldComposer window?

26. Praetorsoft

Praetorsoft

Hi
    I'm using the latest version of WorldComposer with Unity 2018.2.4 and I get errors in the textures. Some tiles in the textures are incorrectly placed. I uploaded one example.

Attached Files:

27. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks for the report. That's a new bug introduced in the latest version. I will fix this today / tomorrow.

Nathaniel

sharkapps, ftejada and hopeful like this.
  28. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

How does one go about exporting world composer terrains to terrain composer? Like we used to be able to do in tc1 and wc1? It doesn't seem to be possible now, unless all of us are missing something?

29. eagle555

eagle555

Hello everyone,

Here's the fix for the wrong image tiles incorrectly placed. I submitted to fix to the Asset Store.

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

30. eagle555

eagle555

You can easily use the WorldComposer heightmaps as stamps in TC2, as they have TC2 stamp format. I added this to the documentation of TC2:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-documentation/#worldcomposer-and-tc2

As for the satellite images it's possible to use as a colormap, but you need a third party terrain shader that supports a colormap, like RTPv3. I made a video for it here:

I will look into this to update the documentation on how to adhieve this.

Nathaniel

ftejada likes this.
  31. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

aah, it just seemed to be a lot easier to export wc to tc in version 1 of terrain composer and earlier versions of world composer. Just click the "export to terrain composer" button while building your terrains from wc. I miss that easy integration.

32. akuptsov

akuptsov

Hi all, faced with absolutely the same issue :( is there any workaround?

Edited:
    Just invetigated a bit, so to my mind the problem is with decimal numbers formating depending on Cultural Settings, so: the request url in my case is look like: http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Imagery/Map/Aerial/40,3789263625942,-107,989204406738/6?&mapSize=800,800&key=
    So comma ',' in lat and lon should be replased to dot '.'

Edited2:
    Fixed on my side:

.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture) - added

Code (CSharp):
    2. public void request_map1()
    3.         {
    4.             if (map.active)
    5.             {
    6.                 stop_download_map1();
    7.                 request_load1 = true;
    8.                 global_script.map_load = false;
    9.                 global_script.map_latlong = Mathw.pixel_to_latlong(new Vector2(-400, 0), global_script.map_latlong_center, global_script.map_zoom);
    10.                 string text = "http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Imagery/Map/" + map.type.ToString() + "/" + global_script.map_latlong.latitude.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture) + "," + global_script.map_latlong.longitude.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture) + "/" + global_script.map_zoom + "?&mapSize=800,800&key=" + map.bingKey[map.bingKey_selected].key;
    11.                 global_script.settings.myExt.Request(text, true);
    12.                 map.bingKey[map.bingKey_selected].pulls = map.bingKey[map.bingKey_selected].pulls + 1;
    13.             }
    14.         }
    16.         public void request_map2()
    17.         {
    18.             if (map.active)
    19.             {
    20.                 stop_download_map2();
    21.                 request_load2 = true;
    22.                 global_script.map_load = false;
    23.                 global_script.map_latlong.longitude = Mathw.pixel_to_latlong(new Vector2(400, 0), global_script.map_latlong_center, global_script.map_zoom).longitude;
    24.                 string text = "http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Imagery/Map/" + map.type.ToString() + "/" + global_script.map_latlong.latitude.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture) + "," + global_script.map_latlong.longitude.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture) + "/" + global_script.map_zoom + "?&mapSize=800,800&key=" + map.bingKey[map.bingKey_selected].key;
    25.                 global_script.settings.myExt2.Request(text, true);
    26.                 map.bingKey[map.bingKey_selected].pulls = map.bingKey[map.bingKey_selected].pulls + 1;
    27.             }
    28.         }
    30.         public void request_map3()
    31.         {
    32.             if (map.active)
    33.             {
    34.                 if (global_script.map_zoom > 2)
    35.                 {
    36.                     stop_download_map3();
    37.                     request_load3 = true;
    38.                     global_script.map_load3 = false;
    39.                     string text = "http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Imagery/Map/" + map.type.ToString() + "/" + global_script.map_latlong_center.latitude.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture) + "," + global_script.map_latlong_center.longitude.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture) + "/" + (global_script.map_zoom - 2) + "?&mapSize=800,800&key=" + map.bingKey[map.bingKey_selected].key;
    40.                     global_script.settings.myExt3.Request(text, true);
    41.                     map.bingKey[map.bingKey_selected].pulls = map.bingKey[map.bingKey_selected].pulls + 1;
    42.                 }
    43.             }
    44.         }
    46.         public void request_map4()
    47.         {
    48.             if (map.active)
    49.             {
    50.                 if (global_script.map_zoom > 3)
    51.                 {
    52.                     stop_download_map4();
    53.                     request_load4 = true;
    54.                     global_script.map_load4 = false;
    55.                     string text = "http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Imagery/Map/" + map.type.ToString() + "/" + global_script.map_latlong_center.latitude.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture) + "," + global_script.map_latlong_center.longitude.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture) + "/" + (global_script.map_zoom - 3) + "?&mapSize=800,800&key=" + map.bingKey[map.bingKey_selected].key;
    56.                     global_script.settings.myExt4.Request(text, true);
    57.                     map.bingKey[map.bingKey_selected].pulls = map.bingKey[map.bingKey_selected].pulls + 1;
    58.                 }
    59.             }
    60.         }

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    DrSpritz and sharkapps like this.
  33. eagle555

eagle555

Yes indeed, first I have to update my Mesh Combine Studio asset, but after I will look into in getting that easy integration back.

Great that you found the issue :) I will implement it automatically in WorldComposer for the next update.

Nathaniel

ftejada and akuptsov like this.
  34. eagle555

eagle555

Hey Everyone,

Here's another update with fixes:

WorldComposer 1.73

Fixes:
    Errors when trying to make a build.
    * Implemented decimal number formatting according to Cultural Settings to fix url request not working on some systems. (akuptsov suggested fix).
    * Sometimes the right half of the map wouldn't refresh.

I submitted it to the Asset Store.

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

akuptsov, ftejada and hopeful like this.
  35. eagle555

eagle555

Hey Everyone,

I'm making good progress with the new MCS update which will have a free extension called `MCS Caves & Overhangs`, basically has the feature to remove overlapping geometry to optimize rocks to the max. There's other use cases for it but this is the most obvious one I can think of.

I opened a new thread for it here and made a video showcasing it:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/mcs-caves-overhangs-will-release-soon.659845/

MCS Caves & Overhangs4.JPG

ftejada likes this.
  36. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

I have the latest update and unity 2018.3.9.f1
    but i cannot scroll out
    i am locked in location, and i get bad request 400

Attached Files:

37. eagle555

eagle555

Can you show a screenshot of your Unity console (control + shift + c)?

38. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

yes
    The old version was working for me in the past.

When i want to go to this location:
    upload_2019-4-14_10-14-59.png
    It do not update the map

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  39. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks, can you DM me a screenshot where the Bing key is visible in the WorldComposer window?

Andreas12345 likes this.
  40. DrSpritz

DrSpritz

Hi threre!

I have same issue =(
    WorldComposer 1.73

upload_2019-4-15_14-28-24.png

Andreas12345 likes this.
  41. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

Thanks God, i am not alone!
    Are you in Germany?

42. eagle555

eagle555

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  43. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  44. eagle555

eagle555

So likely this has to do with something not working on Unity's side. Can you try it with an older version of Unity like 2018.2 or even 2017.x?

Andreas12345 likes this.
  45. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

I will test tomorrow, and report back.

46. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

mayBe this can be a solution?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Globalization;
    2. using System.Threading;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    5. using UnityEditor;
    6. #endif
    7. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    8. [InitializeOnLoad]
    9. public static class FixCultureEditor
    10. {
    11.     static FixCultureEditor()
    12.     {
    13.         Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = CultureInfo.InvariantCulture;
    14.     }
    15. }
    16. #endif
    17. public static class FixCultureRuntime
    18. {
    19.     [RuntimeInitializeOnLoadMethod(RuntimeInitializeLoadType.BeforeSceneLoad)]
    20.     static void FixCulture()
    21.     {
    22.         Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = CultureInfo.InvariantCulture;
    23.     }
    24. }

47. eagle555

eagle555

If you look in WebRequest.cs this is where the url requests happen. I do on line 62:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. url = url.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);

48. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

When i use the script it works!
    Just add in Asset folder and restart unity!

Attached Files:

DrSpritz and eagle555 like this.
  49. eagle555

eagle555

That's cool news :). I will add it to WorldComposer then. Strange that the url.ToString(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture) doesn't work though.

Andreas12345 likes this.
  50. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

If stuff works, i dont ask why :)

eagle555 likes this.