Search Unity

WorldComposer a tool to create real World AAA quality terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Barritico

Barritico

Hi.
    Does anyone know if it is compatible with GAIA?
    Thank you

2. eagle555

eagle555

The heightmap 16 bit raw files from WorldComposer can be used in Gaia as stamps.

Nathaniel

3. Barritico

Barritico

Thanks a lot.
    Bought!

4. Barritico

Barritico

Hi.
    When I click the right mouse button in the same place as this video (
    ), I do not see the altitude. If I build the terrain following the PDF tutorial, I get all the terrain with the same altitude.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

5. lrj_ltg

lrj_ltg

I'm trying to follow your tutorials. Everything works fine at first.
    When I clicked the "Create Terrain" button, it seemed that some terrains was created.
    However some background jobs were still running and they would take a really long time and almost all my CPUs.
    As for these jobs, I labelled them on the attached picture .
    I'm a new one, so could anybody figure me out?
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

turn off real time baking in 'Lighting window' - you are baking light maps -it is a check mark, un-check it.

7. lrj_ltg

lrj_ltg

Tks a lot.;)

8. Barritico

Barritico

After 10 reinstall.... impossible create terrains with different altitude.
    No answers?

9. Barritico

Barritico

It is no longer necessary. I have done it by other ways. Thank you ...

10. eagle555

eagle555

Can you show a screenshot of your WorldComposer window? Did you click the 'Export Heightmap' button? Do you get errors in the Unity console? (control-shift-c).

Like ForceVFX says, it's Unity's lightmap baking...

Nathaniel

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Quick question, can I map colors with an image node, to convert satellite images from WC , to Splat map, with saved color ranges, in TC2? (Like in the original TC)

Patrick

12. Seneral

Seneral

Yep, in image nodes you can specify a color range, select individual channels, or channel ranges, whatever... Works well as masks for splats so you can essentially use the colors as a base for splat maps, yes:)
    img_001.png

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

thanks, it's been some time, just wanted to make sure!
    p-

14. cool-sweet-joy

cool-sweet-joy

i came a really bad situation for this plugin.please help me!
    i cant load the map and this is the unity error :

Cannot load image: download failed
    UnityEngine.WWW:LoadImageIntoTexture(Texture2D)
    Map_tc:Update() (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/Map_tc.js:3782)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

my unity version is unity2017,and my worldcomposer version is 1.5.1.
    my bing key is ok,and i do try lots of ways but i can not fix this.please help me.

15. cool-sweet-joy

cool-sweet-joy

and this is the wrong image.please help me.

Attached Files:

16. yumianhuli1

yumianhuli1

Hello!how can i get a heightmap of a big country?

17. eagle555

eagle555

You need to download the latest WC 1.53 from the Asset Store for it to work on Unity 2017.

You have to zoom out the heightmap zoom level, a heightmap resolution between 1k-4k is good.

Nathaniel

18. gecko

gecko

Is there any way to create a diagonal terrain in WC? That is, the terrain is a square, but rotated 45 degrees so the edges of the terrain run SE<>NW and SW<>NE instead of East<>West and North<>South. Looking at the interface, I'm guessing not, but we really need this orientation for a particular map....

thx
    Dave

Attached Files:

19. gecko

gecko

My terrain is totally flat, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Here are my settings. (Though I've also tried a single-tile terrain of a small area.) Can anyone spot the problem?

I'm using Unity 5.5.4 on Mac Sierra. I clicked Export Heightmap, then Export Images, and then Create Terrain. All the generated files are in the project, but the terrain(s) are completely flat.

EDIT: I guess the problem is that Height Center and Heightmap Data are zero or default values. I've tried moving around and selecting different areas, but those never change. I've quit and restarted Unity, no better. So....how to make those work?

Also, is there a way to toggle off the RTP integration?

thx
    Dave

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  20. eagle555

eagle555

WorldComposer creates Unity terrain and Unity terrain can't be rotated. However you can solve it by rotating the world instead as everything is just relative to what axis you put yourself in game mode.

upload_2017-7-27_12-29-29.png

The heightmap zoom level is 0 which results in 0 x 0 heightmap resolution (probably because your area is small), you need to higher the zoom level so you have heightmap resolution of 1024-4096.

Nathaniel

21. gecko

gecko

Sorry, I'm having trouble explaining this clearly, but what I mean is to capture a square area but one where the square is rotated so the edges are not East/West and North/South, but SE/NW and SW/NE, as in my screenshot. I'm guessing the answer is "no" though.

Hmm, so I can click the + button for Heightmap Zoom to go from zero to 1, but it won't go higher than that. And even then, Height Center is zero, and Heightmap data is 0->3468, which is a smaller range than before, but still incorrect (lowest elevation in view is more like 1500 meters).

The area isn't that small -- I've tried creating terrains ranging from 2x2km to 7x7km, all the same, flat.

It just seems like Heightmap Center and Data are broken, non-functional -- they're always zero no matter where in the world, or what size grid I create.

EDIT: I figured out out. Heightmap Center and Data work fine when I go to one of the preset Areas like Mount Olympus. But if I create a new area, then those values instantly to go zero and stay there. So now I'm using Mount Olympus but changing the center and left/right locations to my part of the world. Works fine -- and I can even edit the area name to whatever I want....just wish I'd figured this out a couple hours quicker. And hopefully I won't need more than six areas.

EDIT 2: Well, the terrains aren't flat, but they've just got a little bit of vertical height. Normalize is checked and set to 1. Oddly, on the generated terrains, Height is -114.0078 -- why is it negative? I tried changing Normalize value to 2, but get very goofy results (one row of terrain tiles is very tall and jaggy, the rest are no different than before.)

EDIT 3: Well, I could calculate the correct height of the terrain from the console readouts, so that's working now, though strange it came up with a negative (and incorrect) result.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  22. gecko

gecko

Also, is there a way to toggle off the RTP integration?

23. gecko

gecko

I'm sure I'm a complete idiot on this...but how do you bring in a WC terrain set into TC2? I see how to do it manually, tile by tile, but surely there's a faster way to do the entire set of tiles?

24. JonBanana

JonBanana

I just buy your asset and it s look promising

I had same problem and had to put to manual for beiing able to put more than 1 , is it a bug ?
    Maybe a default value more than 0 will better ?

I have a other problem :

I set a map who is 4x4 but in unity i get only 2x2 (the bottom left) , how can i fix this issue ?

When i download heigmap (4k), i get some errors and the process did not stop after 100%
    It s look like i get my height maps but some with holes (probably data loss)

NullReferenceException: UnityWebRequest has already been destroyed
    UnityEngine.WWW.get_error () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/WebRequestWWW/UWRWWW.cs:125)
    Map_tc.Update () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/Map_tc.js:3996)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:272)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:265)
    UnityEditor.HostView.SendUpdate () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:341)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:109)

is there a way to re download part that are missing specificaly ?

thanks

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  25. gecko

gecko

This is turning into a real problem -- new Areas always have Height Center=0 and Heightmap Data=14 -> 110847 (basically, default/empty values). Nothing I can do will get those to recognize the actual Height Center or Data (range) of the selected area. So I am forced to reuse/rename the handful of Areas that come with WC by default. But now I'm having a problem with one of those -- it refuses to let me Pick a new Upper-Left spot for the area, and instead insists on using the preset location, which is of course far from the location I'm trying to pick. This makes WC pretty much unusable. Looks like @eagle555 is away from the forum this week at least -- anybody got any suggestions?

26. hopeful

hopeful

I believe he's heavily into production of a game, so you might use his support email address, see if you can get him that way.

27. gecko

gecko

Thanks, I did email him a week ago about a TC2 issue, haven't heard back.

28. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks for telling and sorry for the delayed reply. It's a bug since the last version that the maximum heightmap zoom level scanning doesn't work anymore. I made a fix for this.

JeanBoots, about the error, which Unity version do you use?

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

29. gecko

gecko

Thanks for the fix, much appreciated.

I'm having another strange problem: I've been able to remove shadows on several area textures, but I've been completely unable to do it with one in particular. I click Apply on the Image Editor, and the progress bar goes to 25%, then stops abruptly and disappears, and the texture is not rewritten with shadows removed. I've tried fussing with the image resolution and tiles, no help. Happens every time. Any ideas?

thank
    Dave

30. JonBanana

JonBanana

I m on 2017.1.0f3 on macOs Sierra

I succeed with bigger area , maybe it was because i havent enought space on my computer.

But i still have trouble with high resolution so i decide to use lower res for make it work

31. eagle555

eagle555

Strange indeed. Can you show a screenshot of the wc window with the area you're trying to do this on?

Nathaniel

32. PsychoPsam

PsychoPsam

Hi,

Just a couple of questions.
    1. When I create the terrain it's sunken into the ground if that makes sense - like when I create an island, it's indented. The collision works fine but the terrain is going down instead of up. If I change the heightmap curve to be 1 to 0 it looks right but the collision don't work. How do I fix this?
    2. How do I isolate a smaller area - say around 3 klm x 3klm? There doesn't seem to be a way to shrink the selection box.

33. eagle555

eagle555

1). Not exactly sure what you mean. Can you share some screenshots?
    2). You can shrink the size of an area by using a higher 'Image Zoom' value and you can lower the 'Image Resolution' in the Image Export tab in WC window.

Nathaniel

34. Goosifer

Goosifer

I'm not working in Unity at the moment so I can't confirm, but I think this happens when Normalize Heightmap is checked, so as a work around you can either unchecked that or go to your terrain settings in Unity and make sure your Terrain Height is not set to a negative value after your terrain is created.

35. eagle555

eagle555

Oki, when working at Unity again maybe you can share some screenshots? So I can try to reproduce the issue...

NAthaniel

36. Dazz500

Dazz500

Hi I'm very interested in your product after watching the videos. I am wanting to represent a HUGE area (90,000 km2). The area doesn't need to be a exact presentation of any real world area & with this in mind some of the textures/ terrain could be repeated as I think it would be impossible to represent such a huge area. As my game is a flight simulator type game most of the terrain would only be viewed from above, so the height map doesn't need to be mega detailed. With this in mind would world composer be able to cater for my needs.
    PS: Whats the performance hit like for various terrains.

Kind regards.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  37. PsychoPsam

PsychoPsam

Yes if I turn off Normal Height it's fine. And the scaling worked. And the character collision works fine as well. Thanks for the tip. Is there any side effect of turning off Normalise Heightmap?

38. PsychoPsam

PsychoPsam

What does the no camera symbol mean? When I zoom in to 16 x 16 maps @ 4096 this shows up.

Attached Files:

39. Anthiev

Anthiev

Hi,

I'm having problems with Heightmap Export. I get error "NullReferenceException: UnityWebRequest has already been destroyed" when i'm exporting heightmap.

I tried to move the area to another location, and it worked perfectly fine. It seems that i can't export from this particular area. I don't understand why...

I'm on WC 1.54 / Unity 2017.1.0f3

thanks !

Attached Files:

40. Lagoons

Lagoons

Thank you for this add-on!! Though I'm trying to work out how to make my Character collides with the Worldcomposer terrain, atm my character just falls straight though the terrain... Any thoughts please?

41. gecko

gecko

Here's a screenshot. The problem again:

I've been able to remove shadows on several area textures, but I've been completely unable to do it with one in particular. I click Apply on the Image Editor, and the progress bar goes to 25%, then stops abruptly and disappears, and the texture is not rewritten with shadows removed. I've tried fussing with the image resolution and tiles, no help. Happens every time. Any ideas?

It's happening now with another terrain, and I'm really stumped. In addition to the settings shown here, I've also tried with 9x9 tiles, and with image formate set to Raw. (I've also tried combine images, etc.) It always starts fine but quits at 32%.

remove shadows fail.jpg

42. MatthiasGabriel

MatthiasGabriel

Hello Nathaniel and thanks for this great asset!

I am about to purchase WC but i am now wondering how the quality coverage in Nepal is, since i am planning to build my game in this environment. Is there enough good quality data to work with WC on this part of the world?

Thanks!
    Matthias

43. eagle555

eagle555

300 x 300 km is possible, but indeed can't have that detailed heightmap. WoldComposer is able to extract a 300 x 300 km, can use image resolution of max like 64k otherwise you need some kind of streaming like Amplify Texture 2 or WorldStreamer.

Turning off normalizing doesn't give any side effect, results are the same.

It means that Bing maps doesn't have satellite images for the zoom level. What you need to do is zoom out, you can check it with going to the same zoom level with the WC map with the mouse scroll wheel.

Can you send me a screenshot of your terrain settings? (click on the terrain your character falls through, then go in the terrain script to settings).

I will look into these issues...

WorldComposer uses Microsoft Bing maps and you can check the quality here:
    https://www.bing.com/maps

Nathaniel

44. eagle555

eagle555

I made a fix for this, can you check if it works now?

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

45. pfd01

pfd01

Hello, everybody!
    Hope you are all having a great day :)

I just bought World Composer and I can't wait to play it around.
    I am experiencing some difficulties with the Bing key.
    I have a question, I read the pdf guide but I still have some doubts. What should I put in the(Bing Dev) Application name and URL field?
    In regards to Application App field, (Public Windows App 8x..) is ok?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Patrick

my system: win10 pro + unity 2017.x

46. eagle555

eagle555

Choose for type of Application: 'Public Windows app' or 'Windows Phone app'. In Application name you can type anything. And URL you can leave empty...

Nathaniel

47. Anthiev

Anthiev

So,

I tried the fix and i don't get same errors.
    When creating a new area, i get "500 Internal Server Error", and Heightmap Zoom is bugged, only 0 and 1 zoom level are available.
    With an existing area, export and zoom level works.
    In both cases, the exported heightmap is empty(checked with photoshop, it's all black), and the created terrain is flat.

As earlier, the export works at another location.

Thank you very much for your help.

48. antony57

antony57

Hello.
    I bought both terrain composer 2 and world composer but instead of the second being the extension of the first, it seems that both are standalone.

However, I want to extract heightmap form wc to tc2 as shown on one of your video but it appears that on wc I don't even have the tickbox export to terrain composer...

Please help

I've managed to create a flat aerial image but it's flat. Obviously I'd like the relief, altitudes and so on to edit the map...

Also, I've read on one of your youtube comment that it is possible to use world composer terrain as a TC2 stamp. How do you do that exactly ?
    a.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  49. eagle555

eagle555

Yes this was a bug in one version, but I have fixed this in an update, did you download the latest version from the Asset Store?

The raw format that WorldComposer exports is the same as a TC2 stamps. What you need to do I explain here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-documentation/#stamps

So basically copy paste the raw file that WC exports into a RawFiles folder anywhere inside your project. TC2 will automatically create a preview image one folder above. This preview image you need to drag and drop on a yellow or blue node.

Nathaniel

50. danielesuppo

danielesuppo

Hello,
    I'm a newbie with WorldComposer but I have an issue with shadow removal tool:
    my terrains are 4x4 tiles, each bitmap resolution is 2048 and each heightmap resolution is 65.
    I'm following this tutorial

to remove shadows from my bitmaps, but when I press "apply" the progress bar arrive at 3% and next it stop (but the time counter is working).
    I did many tests, with different settings, but always the progress bar (so the task progress) just arrive to 3% - 6% and next does not move anymore (after many hours it still is at 6%, just like after 5 mins after that I've pressed "apply").
    P.S.1 Furthermore it seem that "radius" does not work: I can put any value but the result after "refresh" is always the same.
    What going wrong?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017