Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WorldComposer a tool to create real World AAA quality terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Dec 6, 2013.

1. lazygunn

lazygunn

Was there anything to suggest needing to compile them into a single raw? I think in world composer if you want a single terrain to cover a larger area you can scale it appropriately, if youre covering an area with multiple tiles id assume each tile has its own heightmap, and theres no need to combine them, that i can think of

2. eagle555

eagle555

WorldComposer exports elevation of an area as 1 heightmap. The resolution is limited by images not by heightmaps, A heightmap file can be as big as possible, but images can be max 4k in Unity. So the reason for using more tiles is having more image resolution then 4k for a total area. You can do 32k total image resolution and Unity can run it. As for heightmaps about 4k-8k total resolution is the max Unity can handle.

So in my example video the total heightmap resolution is 2k and WC spread it out over each tile, selecting automatically the right heightmap resolution for it.

Doing splat texturing needs to be done in TerrainComposer, and the best workflow for this is use the satellite image colors as a mask.

Nathaniel

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  3. lazygunn

lazygunn

Ahh, that was an education

4. Olafson

Olafson

Alright awesome! Thanks for the quick answer. Purchased :)

5. kshaja

kshaja

Great tool!

It took me couple of hours to get to know it and to make something like this:

[Work in progress]

Colorado Springs mountains inside Unity,

red dot is camera position:

6. ZJP

ZJP

@Eagle555

I am convinced of the quality of your product. It remains a question before a future purchase.
    How to know if the elevation database you used covered a particular area? I would not have a completely flat terrain after the exportation.
    For example some Caribbean islands (my concern) are not referenced in some organisms. To verify this, I see three options.
    a) Sending to you the coordinates of the area to be tested
    b) A player on your website that would allow checking the elevations of a particular place.
    c) A (very?) limited version your product (without export, building etc..)

What do you think?

7. eagle555

eagle555

That's a good question. Bing has World elevation coverage, only not everything at the same zoom level. The levels are:
    -> 14 for USA (10 m/p).
    -> 13 for France (20 m/p).
    -> 11 for most of the rest of the World (80 m/p).

If you want to check an area for imagery you can take a look on Bing map:
    http://www.bing.com/maps/

For the heightmap and area if you want to check how it looks, it's best to ask me and send coordinates. I can export the area and sent some screenshots ;).

Nathaniel

8. ZJP

ZJP

Thank for the reply. Sending a PM.

9. jjnstn

jjnstn

After working thru how to use it with a bit of trial and error, I am impressed with this product. I have downloaded dem data from usgs before and found a fairly simple method of getting it into unity. I took a bit of manipulating to get it right. Once I had the work flow it was reliable. Time became an issue tho. I took a lot longer from start to finish to complete the task. The end result was very good tho. World composer has saved me quite a bit of time. There still seem to be some issues with it, I am working out what exactly the problems are, but I am pleased with the speed at which I can get from idea to usable terrain in unity.

10. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks for the compliments :). Can you mail me the issues you have? My mail is Nathaniel_Doldersum@hotmail.com

11. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

You kinda zip through your videos a little too quickly and there isn't any written documentation. It'd be helpful to either get a good written reference (like RTP) or have some videos on WC/TC where you slow down explaining each option and why you select the options you do.

An example, what is 'Scale" in the create terrain box? Is it scale of the terrain height or terrain in general?

Both WC/TC are pretty crash happy which is understandable considering Unity's own terrain tools tend to crash especially with large terrains (no 64 bit editor is still crazy) but it does make experimenting with values blindly a bit more difficult.

12. rushbier

rushbier

Hi eagle555 i've just bought the worldcomposer asset and and when i click worldcomposer under the window tab i come across an error saying "You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading. 401 unauthorized." It has stopped the world map from loading preventing me from being allowed to make any terrains. So i'm wondering if there's anything that i'm doing wrong?

13. John-G

John-G

Hi rushbier, I belive that's due to using Worldcomposser with out a bing key.
    You need to create a Microsoft bing key, not sure if the webpages but google search will get it.
    Once you create a free key you can paste it into Worldcomposser, and the error will disappear and maps will display.

14. eagle555

eagle555

Yes I will write more documentation for the next update of what every value exactly does. But it all pretty much speak for itself. As there's image import settings in there, which are also in the Unity inspector.

Scale in the create terrain tab is a multiplier to the scale 1meter is 1 unity unit. So 1 gives you the real world scale, 0.5 the terrain is half the real world scale size. The heightmap resolution is the resolution per tile, this is automatically selected.

As for WC/TC being crach happy. They are both stable only the crashes happen when Unity 32 bit runs out of memory. There's 3 gb memory limitation and >2.5 gb makes Unity instable. So you have to keep your total terrain and imagery resolution within this limit.

As for the 32 bit Unity Editor limitation:
    Total heightmap resolution about 8192
    Satellite imagery about 32768x32768
    Splatmap resolution about 8192
    Detail (grass resolution) I don't recommend higher then 512 for each tile.

Nathaniel

15. eagle555

eagle555

As John already mentions a free Bing key has to be created. You can read this on the first page of the WorldComposer documentation and there's the link, etc. If you are in Webplayer build mode you have to change a setting in Unity, you can see this in the trouble shooting section in the WorldComposer documentation.

Nathaniel

16. rushbier

rushbier

Thank you so much John G I really appreciate the help.
    And thank you eagle555 for world composer, have really appreciated this incredible asset.

17. eagle555

eagle555

Here's something Peter and me did in 24 hours.

$TheSearch1.jpg

Have fun and it's 900 square km. There's an eastern egg in there, if you are the first to find it and prove it with a screenshot, you can win all the Assets that were used for making this demo. I have to admit that it's almost impossible to find though...

Demo thread and download

$TheSearch4.jpg
    $TheSearch5.jpg

18. Olafson

Olafson

I got a question. How do I export/open the .raw your tool creates when downloading the heightmap? Neither Unity nor World Machine can open the raws your programm creates, which renderes it rather useless for me. I want to edit it in World machine. Am I doing something wrong?

Upon download, I choose where to save the .raw and trying to import that into WMachine just doesnt work..

So, how do I get the heightmap into WorldMachine for further editing? I do not want to use terrain composer for that.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  19. eagle555

eagle555

WorldComposer exports a 16 bit raw grey scale image. For Unity to use is has to be exactly fitting the terrain heightmap resolution.

To open it in file input in World Machine, all you need to do is rename the Raw to R16 ;).

I still recommend using TerrainComposer if you want to import it back into Unity for many terrain tiles.

Nathaniel

20. Olafson

Olafson

Oh. Its a 16 bit image. :) Alrighty, thanks!

And yes, I am using Terrain composer for several things, for tree placement etc, but I like refining and building my splats in World Machine.

21. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Everyone,

Thank you very much for using my software! I will be back after Christmas.

Merry Christmas!!

$97.gif

Nathaniel

22. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Sometimes trying to pull down a heightmap I get this scrolling endlessly in the console:

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    Parameter name: startIndex
    System.String.Substring (Int32 startIndex) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/String.cs:333)
    Map_tc.elConvert (Int32 elExt_index) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/Map_tc.js:4093)
    Map_tc.Update () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/Map_tc.js:3593)

I'm not importing anything to TC yet this is just while exporting the heightmap and sometimes when this happens the download stalls out but other times it keeps on trucking. Any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  23. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Fuzzy,

That is strange, what version of WorldComposer do you use?. I never get an error when exporting with WC. Maybe you are working on scripts at the same time and recompile? As recompiling can give this issue.

Nathaniel

24. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Nope I let Unity idle while exporting as I've run into issues before. Just had it happen again this morning with the whole computer idle besides the export. I'm running 1.10. It says there is available version 1.11 but whenever it downloads it just downloads 1.10 again.

25. kshaja

kshaja

Some test with World Composer:

26. Antigono

Antigono

Hi, how are you? first sorry for my english.

I 'm having some problems with TC + WC + RTP , that before with TC + RTP I didnt have.

Creating a new Terrain with WC I encounter some problems.

1) Slat textures with TC are blurry.
    Do not know if this has to do with some parameters when exporting in WC. But I fail to do that they have the same quality as with TC + RTP.
    As I said , maybe have to take into account the relationship between the parameters Zoom , resolutions etc in WC , which I still have not mastered .
    Can you recommend some rule to follow to maintain good quality?

2) When I go home Unity , the terrain looks totally black . Here I leave a picture :

$terrain1.jpg

I must recompile shaders using the "Global trees map" option in RTP to return to see the textures on the Terrain.
    But with this option i have this: (I should probably ask this in RTP forum)

$terrain2.jpg

3) In the picture above you can also see intersections between different fields.

4) is there any tutorial that explain how to combine the use of TC + WC + RTP correctly?
    Among other things , how to combine the obtained satellite images with slat textures generated by TC ?

5) this is not a problem, is only a question, The terrain generated by "WC" is exported to some particular scale? It's real size?

They are silly questions , or perhaps i should ask in TC forum or RTP forum ​​, if it is so I apologize , but I am having difficulty with this.

From already thank you very much!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  27. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Antigono,

That your terrain looks like this is a shader issue. Or maybe you have art packs in your project from Michael O or big enviroment pack. They have a terrain shader in there that is in conflict with RTP, all other terrain shaders need to be removed from your project, as only 1 can be in there.

Also you will need to setup RTPv3 right. As for WC and TC with RTPv3, both TC and WC use standard Unity terrain. So the question is...How to use RTPv3 with standard Unity terrain? Tom the developer of RTP made videos and documentation for it. Only I embedded RTP settings into TC so you can quickly change them. Also save/load RTP settings. WC automatically assigns the colormaps to RTP global colormap. So mixing with splat textures is working the same as with TC and on standard Unity terrain as Tom explains in his video how to setup a colormap mix with splat textures, etc.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJOn8SJ4zAI

For a good looking splat texturing, it's best to use TC. You can use the satellite images colors as where to place the splat textures. Also WC assigns grey scale textures as that won't influence the colormap. RTPv3.1 will have some great new features for colormap and splat texture mixture. I will make a tutorial video for the workflow for this...I will wait for it until RTPv3.1 is released.

You don't need global tree map, which is actually a shadow map and a tree pixel map.

It looks like you didn't apply image import settings, that's why you have seems. As the wrap mode must be set on clamp. You can automatically apply image import settings in WC in the 'Create Terrain' tab, with 'Apply' button.

The size you see, is the size for each tile, and this is real world scale, so 1 meter is 1 Unity unit. You have to set your height (Y) to 9000 and shift click <Fit All> to get correct height. As I normalize the height dividing it by 9000, since Mount Averest with a peak of 8850 is the highest point in the World. So I choose 9000 to normalize. Otherwise you would have a ceiling in your terrain for high mountains. Unity terrain heightmaps are set with a 0 to 1 normalized scale. Then this is multiplied with what you set in terrain size Y.

Nathaniel

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  28. Antigono

Antigono

Thanks for the reply.
    Well actually seems to be a shaders problem., In a clean, new project everything works fine. So I'll be looking for the conflict.

-------------------------------------
    EDIT:

I found that the shader that is generating conflict was:

"triPlanarTerrain.shader"

which is located in:

"TerrainComposer\Shaders\TriPlanarTerrain"

I remove it and fix the problem.

-------------------------------------

I have a question about the levels of zoom. I understand that these are resolutions. I'm trying to find a relationship or rule to follow:
    between
    "image resolution", "hightmap resolution", and the size of the map you want to get.
    I am experimenting with large maps trying to find the limit of unity (or my pc) can handle: D. And having a "recommended" relationship between these parameters would be very useful.

Thanks again

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  29. eagle555

eagle555

Yes you can have only 1 terrain shader at the time. And by shift clicking <TriPlanar> in TerrainComposer, the triplanar terrain shader is extracted from a Unity package. Shift clicking <TriPlanar> agian will remove the triplanar shader again.

That's a good question about the zoom levels. You can see the scales here:
    http://www.bing.com/blogs/site_blog...25/map-control-zoom-levels-gt-resolution.aspx

The maximum what Unity can handle is about a 8k heightmap and a 32k total image resolution. This requires 8x8 terrain tiles, as 4k image is the maximum for 1 tile. However do to performance and Unity editor 32bit memory limit I recommend to go not higher then 4k heightmap and 16k total image resolution in 1 Scene. As when going too high Unity will run against it's memory limit ceiling, and can become instable and crash often, etc.

A 64bit Unity editor would resolve a lot, you can vote for it here:
    http://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/platforms-64bit-unity-editor

Nathaniel

30. Redtail87

Redtail87

This looks fantastic.

Is it possible to generate terrain during run-time with api calls?

Unless I missed it, it would also be really nice to have some class documentation to see online like the ngui docs or atleast something that shows the functions available .

Thanks

31. eagle555

eagle555

It would be possible to generate terrains directly with WC, but I don't think Bing or Google maps will like it. So I didn't build that feature directly in. For example if you have a multiplayer game that streams the terrains in all the time from Bing or Google, they will for sure ban you. It's better to grap the data once, and then you can put it on your own server and use TerrainComposer to generate terrains during runtime.

http://www.terraincomposer.com/runtime/

Nathaniel

32. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

EDIT: sorted it. Iad to go bac t Bing and press Update Key. Now working agin.
    Hi Nathaniel

Need help quickly please. I wanted to try out something in World Composer again and now I just get America. I cannot zoom over the World.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  33. Redtail87

Redtail87

Ok cool, so it is possible. For my situation though, all the terrain data will be streamed in at the start of the program so there wont be any 'playtime' streaming. If possible I don't want to download the data offline as I need the whole globe at the highest res possible. Do you think it is still possible to do that if it is only steamed in once at the beginning and there will only be around one or two end users which will be streaming in data of areas? If not is there somewhere that I can grab all this data from and host it myself? Or on the other hand could I use a solution like this with TMS and WMS-compliant interfaces with this extension: http://www.mak.com/products/terrain/streaming-terrain.html

Thanks a ton.

34. eagle555

eagle555

If you need the whole globe, then there's no way to store it. As it is terabytes x terabytes of information. So indeed the only way would be to stream. The link looks interesting although the resolution is a lot lower. 90m for the heightmap, that is ok, but 15 m for satellite images, while Bing has 0.25 m which is 60x better.

Yes all the code is in WC to stream in runtime, although it requires some progamming, as the code that crap and convert the data are made for the EditorWindow, but most functions are in a monobehaviour. So some functions from the Editor script need to be put into a mono script. Also your end users would need a Bing key.

Nathaniel

35. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Great tool man.

36. JoeW97

JoeW97

Hi Nathaniel

Now that I'm starting to understand Terrain Composer better, I'm thinking about buying World Composer, but have a couple of questions:

• What will happen if Bing etc. change their terms of service, will we be left with a non-functioning app? (For example, Google changed some of their terms for the Google Translate API to a fee-based service for many lookups)

• It says that the standalone works with Mac. Is this correct, and can it be used as a Unity plug-in or standalone app?

Thanks

Steve

37. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Steve,

I don't think Microsoft will change their terms of service, as there's competition. Like Google maps and Nokia maps. These two are in my feature list to build in as well. So then there 3 providers to choose from. If something happens another provider can be searched, and I can build that in.

What I mean with standalone is an Unity plugin that can run on itself without the need of TerrainComposer.

Nathaniel

38. Redtail87

Redtail87

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for all the info eagle555, definitely plan on getting this :)

39. OrekaIngenierie

OrekaIngenierie

Hello i ve just buy world composer and it look just amazing. I just start to use it but i have a question !

I actually work on a project where i must make a really really huge terrain, i don't need precise terrain on all of it because the navigation is with a camera fly !
    But i have to precise two towns with lot more détails and control.

I have made my huge terrain with low résolution and it is great nut now i wan't to précise my town must i remake another terrain and place it by hand or world terrain have a feature for define a precise région in the aréa.

Thanks you for this time saver plugin !

40. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'll continue to spread the good word

I made this with tc, worldcomposer (with a significant amount of information recieved), nuaj, rtp and fluidity, and im really starting to like the asset store ever more keenly

Sorry for the repeat pimping but the authors of the software deserve their due

41. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

You can make another more detailed area on top of your low resolution area. The best way would that they exactly fit. E.g. you disable 1 tile for the low resolution terrain, and have 4, 9, 16 or 25 higher resolution tiles in there. But if there's an overlap on the edges, you can use a mask in TerrainComposer heightmap layer, to flatten your lower resolution terrain on the overlap.

Nathaniel

42. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Lazygunn,

Your terrain looks amazing!

Nathaniel

43. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

YES!!!
    Was on top of my wishlist. Have no project I can actual use it, but for this price is a no brainer for me.
    Thanks for the info!

44. im

im

thanks for the sale!

45. atmuc

atmuc

can i use it with my games? there are some copyright discussions here bu i could not understand the result.

46. eagle555

eagle555

Yes you can use it for games.

Nathaniel

47. atmuc

atmuc

it is good to hear that i can use satellite image and altitude data that downloaded via WorldComposer and there will be no copyright problem using with my commercial game.

48. arcdragon1

arcdragon1

Really? I want to use commercial too.
    by the way, Excuse me. there are copyright problems?
    But I worried about that I've seen that eagle555 said the following.
    > As for all satellite imagery it is copyrighted for commercial use, so officially you would have to ask permission from the supplier source.

49. SeedStudio

SeedStudio

The tool looks great but I am afraid this asset clearly violates at least Google's TOS as it is not a free implementation of their maps service:

Any thoughts about this?
    Thanks.

50. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

I don't use Google maps, but Microsoft Bing maps. My software isn't a map API implementation either, but software to extract satellite images and elevation data and create terrains for Unity with it. So non of the rules apply here.

As for the copyright questions a summary from my responce which you can read the discussion on the first page of this thread:

The source is Microsoft Bing at the moment, in the comming update Nokia and Google maps will be added. Bing as well as Google maps and Nokia maps use many sources, like DigitalGlobe, Usgs, etc.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...data-suppliers

As for all satellite imagery it is copyrighted for commercial use, so officially you would have to ask permission from the supplier source. However this is a grey area...

But these companies don't seem to be interested in replying as I tried to contact some and requested how the rules are, etc. I also talked to an expert from the GIS world and he told me that everyone is using it without permission...

Unofficially spoken, it would be very hard to verify if you use photoshop, shadow content removal, RTP as rendering and TC for mixing it with splat texturing. They would need to analyse it back, which would be very hard, and almost impossible to prove and they proberly don't put time into this, as then they would respond to the mails developers send for requested imagery...

Nathaniel

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014