Search Unity

WorldAnchorTransferBatch.ImportAsync never completes

Discussion in 'VR' started by ar_life, Dec 16, 2018.

1. ar_life

ar_life

I need to share anchors between different apps on the Hololens, so I followed the guide at

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/shared-experiences-in-unity

to store the anchor information into a byte array. When I try to load the anchor from this byte array the call to WorldAnchorTransferBatch.ImportAsync never completes (i.e., a Debug line in the OnComplete function never gets called even if I wait for 15 minutes).

Here is a rough outline of the code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. byte[] anchordata = new byte[] {};
    2. bool completed_storing=false;
    4. public void StoreAnchor()
    5. {
    6.     UnityEngine.XR.WSA.Sharing.WorldAnchorTransferBatch transferBatch = new UnityEngine.XR.WSA.Sharing.WorldAnchorTransferBatch();
    7.     transferBatch.AddWorldAnchor("Anchor", this.gameObject.GetComponent<UnityEngine.XR.WSA.WorldAnchor>());
    8.     UnityEngine.XR.WSA.Sharing.WorldAnchorTransferBatch.ExportAsync(transferBatch, OnExportDataAvaliable, OnExportComplete);
    9. }
    11. private void OnExportDataAvaliable(byte[] data)
    12. {
    13.     anchordata = anchordata.Concat(data).ToArray();
    14. }
    16. protected void OnExportComplete(UnityEngine.XR.WSA.Sharing.SerializationCompletionReason completionReason)
    17. {
    18.     if (completionReason != UnityEngine.XR.WSA.Sharing.SerializationCompletionReason.Succeeded)
    19.     {
    20.         Debug.Log("Failed Export: " + completionReason.ToString());
    21.     }
    22.     else
    23.     {
    24.         Debug.Log("export completed");
    25.         completed_storing = true;
    26.     }
    27. }
    29. void Update()
    30. {
    31.     if (completed_storing)
    32.     {
    33.         completed_storing = false;
    34.         Debug.Log("loading");
    35.         UnityEngine.XR.WSA.Sharing.WorldAnchorTransferBatch.ImportAsync(anchordata, OnImportComplete);
    36.     }
    38. private void OnImportComplete(UnityEngine.XR.WSA.Sharing.SerializationCompletionReason completionReason, UnityEngine.XR.WSA.Sharing.WorldAnchorTransferBatch deserializedTransferBatch)
    39. {
    40.     Debug.Log("Loading completed");
    41. }
    The same problem persists when I store the information to a file and try to load it on program start.

I have built and deployed the application in .NET and IL2CPP to the actual Hololens. The Debug information (and the file stored on the device) shows that the anchor is about 5-10 MB. I tried building the app in Unity 2017.4, 2018.2.4, 2018.3 with the same result.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  2. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

I think you are missing the step of creating the store to store and anchors you wish to transfer. Let me know if you have more questions

3. ar_life

ar_life

That raises several questions, why would I need a store if WorldAnchorTransferBatch works for each anchor object (from the documentation it is not clear that a store is required in any way).

Even adding the anchor to the store through

Code (CSharp):
    3. UnityEngine.XR.WSA.Persistence.WorldAnchorStore store;
    4. UnityEngine.XR.WSA.Persistence.WorldAnchorStore.GetAsync(StoreLoaded);
    6. and
    8. store.Save("Anchor", this.gameObject.GetComponent<UnityEngine.XR.WSA.WorldAnchor>());
    changes nothing. It I use only WorldAnchorStore to save and load the anchor it works perfectly, which is ok if I run only 1 app. But it does not allow sharing with other applications that should reuse the same anchor.

For now I am making a workaround where all apps are bundled into a single app and the user can select which one he wants to execute.

4. Masasui

Masasui

Sorry to ressurect this old thread, but this is currently an issue for me too. I am trying to Import an anchor from a file, but the ImportAsync onComplete method is never called. My anchor is roughly 16MB.

5. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

6. Masasui

Masasui

Hi, thanks for your reply. I actually am using legacy XR support in Unity 2019.4 and targeting UWP for HoloLens 2 deployment. When I try to Import the anchor, my app either freezes (anchor bytes transfered via socket; anchor is available upon restart), or does nothing (anchor bytes via file; anchor never becomes available)

7. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Can you please file a bug and report the case id here?