Search Unity

Question World Streaming(support for large open world projects)

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Ruchir, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Ruchir

Ruchir

Right now as I am aware there are no built-in systems for supporting very large projects or large open worlds, like world steaming, Support for a huge no. of project files in a way that reloading unity doesn't take a whole day and still barely works with all the resources in the memory.
    Are there any workflow tutorials that show how to properly manage these big projects because being an indie developer I don't have all those fancy custom tools that very experienced Developer create to support their projects like recently showed here:

Are there any plans to support these kinds of situations by default in unity or do I have to purchase some assets off asset-store?

2. kookyoo

kookyoo

Hello there.
    Did you find a solution for your world streaming ?
    I'm trying to achieve something similar and tried to stream terrain data (which is the heaviest assets I have currently) myself.
    • Addressables can do the job but have the extra cost of saving every terrainData asset twice and a little CPU spike on switch.
    • Mip Map Streaming doesn't seems to work in build. You can stream your splatmap with no problem in editor but in build they are always loaded at mip level 0 (higher definition).