Search Unity

World Streamer vs SECTR?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Zymes, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Zymes

Zymes

Are they the same?

What I basically need is:

- Massive open world that is 10+ sq km
    - See the mountains and trees in the far distance for a nice backdrop
    - Not load game objects that the player can not see outside of the player bubble (500m to 1km) such as NPCs, animals, buildings etc.

Do both these tools do this?

SECTR does not seem to have a float point error fix like World Streamer does. How important is this and at what size does this matter?

2. ronaldomoon

ronaldomoon

ronaldomoon casts "Resurrect" on post.

I'm trying to figure it out. I have both assets. So far I have yet to even wrap my head around WS, even after reading the doc and watching a tutorial video.z

SECTR for me is much easier to use, but it sounds like you can get better performance out of WS, if you can figure out how to use it that is.

VardenEE likes this.
  3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

MaximilianPs likes this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

How noticeable jitter is due to Vector3 float accuracy depends on what scale you're dealing with.

On a side note, I really would like Unity to give an option to use doubles instead of floats for world position. Vote this up if you agree:
    https://feedback.unity3d.com/sugges...space-and-objects-and-vector-slash-math-64bit

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    MaximilianPs and awesomedata like this.
  5. desertGhost_

desertGhost_

There is a good reason to only use single-precision floats. Most GPUs are designed to handle single-precision floats. To get the best performance out of the GPU, the engine would need to convert the position of an object to using a single-precision float before rendering. The result would be an increase in CPU time and the artifacts problem would still exist. CPU side physics should, however, have increased accuracy.

WORLD STREAMER

I use world streamer and it seems to work well, but does require your world or work scene to be designed around using it.