Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Join us on Dec 8, 2022, between 7 am & 7 pm EST, in the DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A forum, Discord, and Unity3D Subreddit to learn more about DOTS directly from the Unity Developers.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

World space particles moving near the same velocity as camera appear to stutter

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by wx3labs, Nov 30, 2020.

1. wx3labs

wx3labs

I created a burning effect in VFX graph using world space particles. Here is a gif of it, slowed down:

FlameTrail.gif

I think it looks fine, ignoring the GIF framerate.

In-game, I noticed a kind of stuttering effect when the player was moving near the same velocity as the burning object. To investigate, I had the camera track the burning object exactly. You can see the stutter in this image:

FlameStutter.gif

I created a simplified VFX that emits a red "X" at the velocity of the tracked object to highlight the problem:

XStutter.gif

I suspect this is the result of the vfx position update happening independent of the main thread and not in-sync with the camera movement, but I'm not positive.

Here is the VFX graph that produced the last image:

X_VFX.png

Any suggestions for a fix or workaround?

2. RamType0

RamType0

Set Update Mode of Visual Effect Asset from Fixed Delta Time to Delta Time.
    You can see it in Inspector.

wx3labs likes this.
  3. wx3labs

wx3labs

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately the effect is already set to Delta Time. I tried switching to Fixed Delta Time to see if that changed anything, and it didn't appear to.

RamType0 likes this.
  4. wx3labs

wx3labs

RamType0 likes this.