Search Unity

Works in progress forum

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by N1warhead, May 5, 2021.

1. N1warhead

N1warhead

Is it possible to separate games and assets to two different Works In Progress forums? Sometimes I just want to see games people are working on and it's cluttered with assets in development. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just makes it harder to find games and seeing what people are building, perhaps missing out on that gem that's in development to follow progress on its development.

Just figured I can't be the only one who thinks this.

Anyways, I hope everyone is doing great!

2. aMIGA_dUDE

aMIGA_dUDE

3. aMIGA_dUDE

aMIGA_dUDE

Just found out it already douse that. Just hit on any of Games or Assets tags before subject title and by magic it only showing Games or Assets. The only issue left is how to get back to seeing both Games and Assets again.

Im new here. Still learning how thing work.

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

We're never getting this feature I'm pretty sure. I've brought up the issues with this forum's layout a bunch of times, I'm not the first, and I won't be the last. They don't have any interest in the discussion.

xjjon likes this.
  5. Acissathar

Acissathar

If the tag was required like some subreddits do this would work perfect, but given that you don't need to (EasyRoads for example is the first one without an Asset/Games tag) just filtering can leave out some results for what you'd like to see. Granted the thread OP can fix that by adding a tag.

To remove the filter just click the x on the filter:
    upload_2021-5-5_11-53-42.png

Joe-Censored likes this.
  6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Yeah, the Unity forums are notorious for terrible use of tags by thread posters.

If you don't believe me, head over to the Scripting forum and look at all the threads tagged "unityscript". At any given time roughly 1 out of every 6 threads has that tag. But the chances that any of those threads has anything to do with Unityscript is close to 0%.

7. N1warhead

N1warhead

Dang never even knew I could click on the tags haahah. But yeah others are right, what about the ones without tags.
    Doesn't seem like this is a hard thing to ask for - either require tags or make new forums lol. But now that I know I can click on tags, would be probably better to simply just require tags.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  8. Going back to the original subject, the mixed topic, I have similar issues with the Made with Unity topic as well, it's a mixed bag. Games, done pieces, but at the same time it contains 'coming soon' things, even prospective asset store assets.

Ideal setup IMHO:
    Assets should go into the Asset Store topic, no matter if it's [WIP] or [RELEASED] (commonly featured in the titles in the Asset store topic).
    Made with Unity: showcase done pieces, games, art, whatever.
    WIP: talking about in-development games/art pieces, etc.

Socrates, N1warhead and Joe-Censored like this.
  9. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I am going to move this to meta-forum discussion. I am also going to raise the topic with mods/staff. In my opinion, I agree that some sort of differentiation/taxonomy should be structured by interest. I would guess that people looking at WIP games is different that people looking at WIP assets.

10. N1warhead

N1warhead

@zombiegorilla awesome, I'm glad I was able to at least make some understanding of this. While there's nothing inherently wrong with the way it is now, I mean games and assets can both be W.I.P - so the forum isn't technically wrong. But it does make it hard to isolate the specifics - maybe I want to see assets in development, perhaps just games. Or perhaps something else that's either assets nor games (Applications that use Unity) for example.

At the very least require tags, but the more user friendly way would be to have two separate forums honestly, like I never even knew I could click on tags until @aMIGA_dUDE mentioned it. I always thought it was just a visual thing - hey this is an asset, this is a game, this is a Feedback kind of thing, never even knew I could click on them. So perhaps others don't know this either.

11. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

Just confirming that we're looking into this request.

12. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

We've archived the old forum and created three new ones under a Works In Progress category for Projects, Art Assets and Tools, all further separated by new mandatory prefixes. We also moved over the last 3 months worth of discussions and categorized them to help with the transition.

13. Antypodish

Antypodish

Any reason to cal Art Assets, instead just Assets?

Still, there should be clear distinction between games+software WIP and assets store WIP.

14. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I like that they split asset in to separate categories. Personally, I don’t care about art assets, but like to check in on tools from time to time.
    I would think that makes it clearer. It could be called “content” but that may be more confusing. Typically we refer to art as anything that is not code.or code generated. One exception being “copy” but I haven’t seen anyone selling copy in the store yet. (Though I haven’t looked). ;(

15. Antypodish

Antypodish

I mean I am glad split finally did happen.
    I suppose, Tools name is sufficient instead of generic Assets.

16. N1warhead

N1warhead

Awesome I'm so glad I was able to help get this pushed through by bringing it up :).
    It's much neater and easier to find specifics now.

It's awesome how y'all did the last 3 months mate - @LeonhardP

Good work :)

LeonhardP likes this.