Search Unity

Working with voxels in Unity with MagicaVoxel.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tomo-Games, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Tomo-Games

Tomo-Games

Hi All

I've started working with MagicaVoxel to create assets. One way to use MagicaVoxel in Unity is to export the model as an Obj and then rig a skeleton inside a modeling program like blender to create animations. I suppose I miss out on being able to manipulate the voxel model inside the game. I'd rather not limit design choices.

There are a ton of Voxel plugins inside the Unity Asset Store. It's hard to know where to start. A couple that caught my eye is Cubiquity but it's rather limited to a native desktop library and it's future seems a WIP atm. Another is PicaVoxel. I like how you can deconstruct the models in realtime. On the downside PicaVoxel isn't supporting any new updates for Unity 4 which is what I'm using. VoxelMax also looks interesting but only supports Unity 5 / Qubicle.

Have you guys tried any good voxel projects that efficiently play nice with Vox files inside Unity?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  2. RendCycle

RendCycle

Although it has some quirks in its UI, I tried Voxel Importer and it works well with MagicaVoxel. You can directly edit an open VOX file and it can readily be reflected in both systems.

What I am having difficulty now is finding the right software that can be used to create or better yet, convert large terrains to have that static Voxels look. I mean "static" as terrains can appear in Scene view and NOT in real time Game view only then can be edited with the native Unity Terrain Tools or external ones just like a regular terrain. Anything you've found that works for you?