Search Unity

working with sound files?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Ahlundra, May 3, 2019.

1. Ahlundra

Ahlundra

I'm curious on how rhythm games like audio surfer or Symphony works

so... can someone point me to some material about this? On how to pick up a sound file (mp3, mp4, wav, etc) and parse/process it to get the data like pitch, notes, etc

anything on how to go about it or the process of developing something like that would be enough just to get me started

2. TaleOf4Gamers

TaleOf4Gamers

If you look at this Beat Saber custom song file, it has the time for the note to appear as well as other information such as the direction to swing etc.

I am not sure on specifics of how other games do it but this way definitely gives more control.

3. Ahlundra

Ahlundra

this wouldnt be reading from the audio file itself, just a script running with the file xD
    that indeed is how guitar hero, o2jam and games like those works, but I wouldn't be touching the music file data doing that ;p

I am more curious on how to access the data or how the games i've talked about does that

the games i've talked about works with the player music files. The player just send the file to the game and the game work with noises using values from the song like bpm, pitch, octaves to generate a procedural map (nothing done by hand)

I want to learn how to "touch" or interpret that data, if there's a must have library that you have to buy/get the rights to or if there is a easy way to access that data through c#