Search Unity

Working with real time data

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cillianpcorcoran, Mar 13, 2019.

1. cillianpcorcoran

cillianpcorcoran

I already know how to make a normal car game, but this seems a bit harder.
    Making a full race car for a university project was wondering if I can also feed real time data from sensors into essentially a car game and have it react in real time. Is unity able to do that / handle that?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If you're able to get the sensor data into Unity, you can certainly react to that like any other data. I'd guess the hardest part will be figuring out how to get the data into Unity in the first place, since you're not likely to find a lot of information on Unity use cases outside of what is typically needed for games.

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Its been a while since I read the EULA. But being the control system for machinery used to be against the license terms for Unity. Just check this before proceeding.

4. Voronoi

Voronoi

Yes, it's certainly possible. I'd say that sending the data to Unity in a standard input format like MIDI or OSC would be the easiest. People also send data over serial/USB using arduino's, so that to me is the trickiest part, just deciding on the data transfer/networking environment that works best with your sensor.