Search Unity

Discussion Working with Plastic is impossible

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by Mars91, Jun 14, 2022.

1. Mars91

Mars91

As many (all ?) of us, I can't help but hate Plastic SCM, the amount of time lost solving it's issue is basically the same of using an USB stick to pass file instead of using a cloud version control solution.

On one of the pc we're using I keep getting
    the specified path is not of a legal form (empty)
    error that is solved only by downloading the ENTIRE project again and again, we did that THREE times in the laast week this is litterally ruining our schedule.

On a sidenote we NEVER EVER had ANY issue with Collaborate: NEVER.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  2. Mars91

Mars91

Currently looking into Perforce, can't think of something worst that Plastic so... let's hope.
    Will post here any update.

3. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Can you let us know the details of this problem? Screenshots, logs.

Are you using the last version of the Unity plugin or the Plastic SCM standalone client? (www.plasticsc.com --> Downloads).

If you open a ticket at support@plasticscm.com, we can arrange a meeting with you to debug the issue.

Regards,
    Carlos.

4. Kaiirin

Kaiirin

Try to work offline after setting up Plastic SCM, it constantly tries to reconnect every 15s with a popup until it makes Unity crash. What a joke...

5. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

It should be fixed in the very last Version Control package version. Could you upgrade and let us know if the issue persists?

6. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

I really try to like Plastic (as Unity Collaborate was the devil, we coined it's workflow "merge & destroy")

But the significant shortcomings and opinionated, against-every-day-best-practices choices some of the Plastic UI tools make, really has me wondering after 3 years of use solo and in teams of 5-15 game devs, whether it's just another devil in disguise).

It was impossible to work in Collaborate (maybe it got better in the end?)

But Plastic works (being "better enough" with large files than Git LFS to still compete). I only lose perhaps an hour of my work every week in surprising merges, or maybe 2 hours here and there trying to get code reviews to work. That particular feature is broken and its UX misdesigned, I filed a bug report but the repro requires a real life test case. But we all know since Gigaya was slashed that Unity isn't in the business of dogfooding their own tools.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  7. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

We are open to arranging a meeting with you and review these "surprising merges" and debug why they are happening.

I answered in the parallel thread regarding the code reviews topic.

I'm not sure about this bug report you mentioned. If you re-open it or provide the ticket id, we can review the status and provide some feedback.

Thygrrr likes this.
  8. MassimoFrancesco

MassimoFrancesco

I have to agree. I really tried to give Plastic SCM a chance and was happy for a more professional solution.

But from the beginning I had so many issues with SCM and countless hours of troubleshooting them.
    In the end, I ditched the Unity plugin completely, which solved most of my issues.

But still even when using the SCM standalone client, I run into the next issues.
    Today I can't even check in my pending changes, as SCM forces me to update workspace first. There is one "incoming change", a single prefab file, which cannot be updated however. As "Update workspace" is not able to apply this file listed under "Files that just need update". it says "applying local changes" for 3 seconds and when shows the same file again. So I'm stuck and can't continue.

I'm just wanting to sync my project between two devices. Never had any issues with Collaborate. But SCM is so extremely frustrating to use, with confusing terminology and apparent bugs. Costing me so many hours and motivation.

At this point, I would just pay to get back on Collaborate.

Emursive-Indie likes this.
  9. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Is this somehow this file locked by an external app or there is some kind of permissions restriction? We will need to evaluate the client logs but probably it will be better if we arrange a meeting and debug all your issues. Please open a ticket at support@plasticscm.com with your availability and timezone.

By the way, the 1.17.X plugin included many fixes. I would recommend you to give it a try.

10. MassimoFrancesco

MassimoFrancesco

Hi Carlos. Thanks for inquiring on this and sorry for the late response.

I ended up solving it by manually saving all "pending changes" files in a backup folder.
    Then forcing a change to a prior workspace, which required to activate some setting in the options menu before Plastic let me discard the pending changes (would be nice if that option was already available in the pop-up warning, but I understand that the user should be shielded from accidently discarding all his work...).
    Then I manually copy and pasted all my files again into each folder.
    And could finally do a "Checkin" with Plastic.

Honestly this felt like a bug. I didn't even modify this prefab file and Plastic was not able to apply it (nor was I able to specifically discard this pending change...). If that happens again, I will document everything and open a ticket as you suggested.

And I had the 1.17.x plugin installed, but performance issues in prefab-edit-mode (I mentioned this in another thread). I'm happy to try out the plugin in the future again, but currently I'm more performant with working with the standalone-client.

11. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Yes, please. We will be happy to connect and debug this case.

Can you point me to that thread? I will be sure that we are tracking your feedback.