Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Working with a team [ Legal working ]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ivanger08, Feb 17, 2021.

1. ivanger08

ivanger08

Hi, im new in Unity specially when talking about working with teams, I have a worry, I have a idea for a game, I'll be working as a generalist but would also think to making a small team later, my issue is the following: How I would can protect my game idea/designs/works of being stolen by anyone of my teammates(as a novice Indie developer)?

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

ivanger08 and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  3. MDADigital

MDADigital

Ideas have no value. The hard work is making those ideas a reality

Joe-Censored and koirat like this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

This ^^^

It is a common misconception among indie game dev novices that other game devs are looking to steal your ideas. That simply isn't the case. A few reasons:

* Every indie game dev already has at least a half dozen of their own projects they haven't gotten to yet. They have no need, nor desire, to steal your game ideas. Doing so would mean putting their own game projects on hold. You could post your ideas here on the forums, and the chances of anyone bothering to steal them are extremely low.

* As already stated, game ideas have very little value on their own. Of course the idea is an important part of the process for creating a game, but the value really comes from the execution. There are many terribly executed games that came from great ideas, and many great games from terrible ideas.

* Your ideas aren't nearly as unique as you think. There are so many games out there, pretty much every game idea can be described as some variation or mishmash of other existing games. You take game X, and change this and that. Or take game Y and combine it with game Z but in this other art style. There's nothing even to steal, it is all already out there.

Lurking-Ninja and MDADigital like this.