Search Unity

Question Working with a huge environment / sandbox

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Fabio_Vieira, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Fabio_Vieira

Fabio_Vieira

Hello guys, how are you all?

I have this huge environment to build up inside the editor, for example a really huge building simulating a real world building. Is it better to have everything (doors, stairs, elevators, desks, chairs, etc) in a single imported fbx model, or have one model of each? I have this model.fbx(250mb) that contains the building, and all its positions, but its lagging both Unity and Blender.

What would be the best approach?
    - single model containing everything
    - many objects derived from the same model(many doors, from the same door.fbx). [this one seems complicated because I would loose all the positions from inside the building, I'd have to lay them again one by one maybe?]
    -Is there any other?

(I have no clue about what's below)
    I would also like to ask, how to work with sandbox inside Unity, I imagine that we need to process/render things as the player is close by, and not process events or render things that are really far away.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You definitely need to break that model up into smaller models. That's true not just for things like doors, but (even more so) for static geometry like walls, floors, ceilings, furniture, etc. If it's one monolithic model, Unity has to draw all of it whenever any of it is in view. If it's broken up (and properly marked Static), Unity can cull most of what's not in view, which is most of it.

For a building environment, you should also look into occlusion culling... Unity has this built in, but there are good third-party solutions too, like Sectr for example.