Search Unity

Games Working on a Tomb Raider in Unity // learning visual script . . .

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by vintage-retro-indie_78, Mar 4, 2023.

1. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Hi,

A few years ago tried to learn Unity, and it failed badly bec. there was no visual script, it was very, very difficult to learn C#, however now that Unity has ' Bolt ' think can comfortably use the engine, and make also full use of the engine . . .

Currently working on some stuff in Blender, the idea is to download Unity in a few hours, and get started on making my first level, perhaps also a few puzzles // write details, or then lore . . .

Right now looking for the best resources to learn visual script, and also moving my 3D content to the engine . . .

Link, to 3D models . . .
    3D models by charlesmercyhilllamb - Sketchfab

2. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Also, need to be honest, it was very, very difficult to learn Unity because there was no visual script, and ended up annoying the moderators by asking a ton of questions, over learning code, it was just too difficult, for someone that has never even written code, or it was many years ago . . .

Now that Unity has visual script very much like to try and learn the engine, and if someone could perhaps tell me a few places to learn won't ask perhaps questions, or otherwise bother the moderators, bec. of a learning disability simply can't learn written code, or it's very difficult, and #sry for any also inconvenience . . . .

If it's alright, really want to try again, have also made stuff in visual script in a few other engines, and think can learn, and also be very productive in Unity, and no need to ask a ton of questions, for instance have made movement, and also AI in visual script in other engines, and don't need any help, more perhaps a few tutorials, etc etc . . . .

3. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Here's some early design // references, type a bit funny because of OCD, and also because it looks cool, or ' artistic ', etc etc . . .

The idea has been to make something over the ' riders of the apocalypse ', similar to the video - game series Darksiders, by THQ Nordic, think both the art - style, and perhaps also succes of that series is a good place to learn for indie - devs, or that the slightly ' Disney ' graphics are impressive . . .

That's more pre - design // early production, hoping to get feedback, also learning resources, won't need any more assistance, other than where to learn visual script . . .

As for the art, not sure if it's going to be monolithic over perhaps sci - fi content, or perhaps more retro - intense, bit over stylized art - presentation . . . .

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  4. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Think only post one images for each post, the goal is to make something like this . . .

5. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

This morning have done bit thinking over my favorite // personal-ever genres of video - games, perhaps the word is style - tropes, or genre - definitions, overall find to want to work on these four types of game - play, or perhaps quality, right now goal is to make PS2 - PS3 // modest indie - quality . . .

Also, bit sorry if it looks weird how currently typing, it's a bit simply because it looks cool, but also over having bit OCD, or more so dealing with also PTSD, my goal is to relax, learn to make video - games, and learn perhaps also from what others are doing, last, Unity - engine is amazing, and can't wait to see what the future is . . . .

genre style topic direction 0024.png

Having spend a few years thinking what classic, or museum - standard art is perhaps having a bit ' phase ' over the classic masters, or ' modernist avantgarde ' content, then perhaps da Vinci, van Gogh, or Dali // Botticelli, it's bit interesting to explore those topics in electronic media, or various design . . . .

6. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Right now have been learning Godot for a few years, and want to perhaps move to Unity, as someone that doesn't want to learn how to code, at least written code for a while the new ' visual scripting ' system is a very nice help, and already know how to code a bunch of stuff from other engines, not sure what to make in Unity right now, have been working on something like a spec - ops setting, perhaps something over sci - fi, or a new Tomb Raider - classic . . .

The goal is to move from Godot to Unity over a few months, and get a few test - levels done // overall happy with Godot, however the freedom perhaps need to be more truly creative is also important, and overall look forward to having fun, exploring both art, and excellence, and also classic // vintage - savvy writing, and of course effects, and code - stuff . . . .

Thanks for making this engine, can't wait to get started // have a ton of ideas, and also #sry if write bit funny, it's explained in the first post, and also need to start looking for the ( better ) learning resources . . . .

7. impheris

impheris

i'll tell you something. I'm an 3d artist, graphic designer and musician, as you can see i'm more in the creative side and i hated to code, back then unity did not have an visual script tool but i wanted to make a game without wasting time learning to code before, so, i made my game while learning c#, of course my first game was very basic but i released on android. Learning c# looks more scary than it is -.-" in fact for me, learning c# is easier than visual scripting (also visual scriptting is limited)... You check a code and looks like an incoherent wall of text but is not. Trust me on this, go with the code, in a couple of days you will be able to write your on lines of code without any tutorial or looking on internet.
    Also, one thing i always do is to save lines of code that i always use on games, for example, the code for score or the code for changing a skin, so i just copy and paste those lines and i know how it works :)

8. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Have an idea how code works from Godot, the individual boxes are just the ' words ', in the code, or almost the same, so in perhaps #theory know how to write code, or at least how it works, and there are also good tutorials here, however over a few months goal is just to move stuff from Godot, and also copy the code, not sure the visual script here also has the option to make visual script - boxes into written code, then it'd be easy to learn written code, in #theory an autist can learn an entire language in a five - ten minutes if it's a consistent system // simple code, or symbol - stuff . . . .

9. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Thanks for the answer, visual script also now can make stuff very fast, and also learn code more slowly // it's not that important, however goal is also to learn code, more start over visual script, think know how to make the four type of video - games in the above picture, and don't even need help, or it's at least something could learn in a few months . . . .

Going to be looking for ( simple ) youtube - tutorials, very also thank you for your answer, a high - func autist from Denmark, just want to make bit fun content, not to learn written code, however now also going to make it important priority . . . .

#thx, need to also get now food . . .

upload_2023-3-4_15-57-14.png

see you #later, need to figure how to get 3D - stuff over also Unity . . . .

10. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Not sure, perhaps to make a tribute, or at least reference to the classic DOS title ' Alone in the Dark : The New Nightmare ', not sure any people today have played it, think was from 1998, or perhaps 2000 . . .

upload_2023-3-4_16-48-17.png

It's an adventure - horror, then either puzzle, or mystery title, it has the fixed - camera that's known from the Resident Evil series, and also the surprise - title ' Until Dawn ', atm that's what want to make, and goal is either PS2 - PS3 quality, or limit resolution to 720p, also over not making advanced stuff as a novice - indie . . . .

Not sure it's a good idea, or if one could also make a 360p, or retro - PS2 appeal, however right now taking a break, also need to download Unity, and because there's now visual scripting don't need to ask ton of questions, and think could have a playable demo - stuff in a few weeks, or perhaps some months . . . .

Alright, going to download Unity in a few hours, and start looking for youtube - tutorials // also enjoy talking art, perhaps bit modestly, learning either engine, or various creativity, however mostly my strengths are these, it's taken me several years, and also quite a study, or reflection over art, or modern theater to figure what my strengths are, and what want to work on, this it's a good idea to have perhaps a list like this, also to have an overview of either a career - direction, or then where one's passions, or personal goals are, took me a few years to figure all this stuff, not sure it makes sense to post it here, however it's a short list of what either find to be strengths, or then what it most fun, or last rewarding . . . .

Also if someone wants to work // get bit help, or education, these are perhaps the things could help bit with . . . .

what are my strengths // interest in game - dev

strengths ++++
    ------------------
    story - telling // setting - details
    effects // creature - design
    world - design
    code

strengths ++
    ------------------
    3D - modelling
    level - design

strengths
    ------------------
    music - production // audio; UI // on-screen HUD
    project - review // bugs; sound - effects

weaknesses
    ------------------
    art - direction // design
    2D
    marketing // publishing-endorsing
    done-for-effect // professional-theater

11. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Downloading Unity . . . .

Going to try and follow a few youtube - tutorials, and see if get started, also know how Godot works, or how to make 3D in Blender, let's see what happens . . .

12. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Right now, know how to make a simple TPS controller, a raycast environment scanner, and an inventory - system, the idea is to use the code - ideas from Godot, and make some stuff in Unity, think it should take a few days // won't need anyone to help me teach code, or how Unity works . . . .

That's a 4 x 4 grid raycast scanner for simple navigation // object detection, with a bit of luck, and perhaps support should be able to have something that can be a demo - level in a few days, or perhaps months . . .

13. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

First image of a character, one of four ' White Witches ' been working on, or ' blessed ' voodoo heroines . . . .

Last time was here got into some trouble, over not being able to learn C#, and was perhaps told to leave, the problem was a learning disability, or also various - PTSD, the PTSD is gone, and now that there's also visual script won't cause any problems, also going to be mostly learning from youtube, instead of asking questions here . . .

All the problems were caused by me not being able to learn written code, not sure how to contact the moderators to ask for help // support, however in case one of them sees this might need to talk to one, had a really bad break - down because couldn't learn written code, and the moderators had to help me leave, it was because there wasn't a visual script, anyway might need bit help to explain stuff to the moderators, perhaps also apologize over having a weird // ' bad ' PTSD breakdown, also over mostly a learning disability . . .

14. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

the problem the last time was here was kept asking weird // no-answer questions, over how to learn C#, it was going nowhere and the moderators correctly helped me leave the forum, since then have learned also Godot engine, and understand how code, and also visual script works, the problem was kept asking very intense, or weird questions over trying to learn written code, to this day probably never going to learn it, or rather get right to make fun content, or levels

however, think by now three, or four years ago got into a ton of trouble here, and the moderators had to help me leave the forum, because there was no way to use the engine, and also not know how to code C#, it wasn't going to happen, it got weird, and the moderators helped me leave . . .

now that there's is visual script there are no more problems, and won't even need this page to learn how to make content, or levels in Unity, or also code, etc etc . . .

going to be learning mostly from youtube, or ask more rarely questions here, know it was ( very ) annoying for the mods, even if it was a learning - disability situation, also at the time over mental problems, PTSD, that are also now gone, or in basically 100 % recovery . . . .

to avoid causing any problems at all, or asking way too many questions // high - func autist stuff, going to be more learning from youtube, and posting at best dev - logs here, not sure anyone could help me get the moderators to look at this, and realize the problems are now 100 % gone, over Unity now having a visual script - system, or a way for non - coders to make content, that's all . . . .

15. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Here are some early sketches // pre - viz design for the characters working on, they are a group of spec - ops witches, that specialize in taking down cults, meta - reality demons, or also ' evil ' sorcerers, or spell - casters . . . .

Right now not sure what to do with the idea // early writing . . .

The above image is an example of how currently paint, it was made in Samsung Notes app, and is more an idea of how currently make early - design // production - sketches, the goal is to make it into 3D, not per se 2D art, or for sprite - animation, or also content . . .

The 3D model is on my sketchfab, think link is in the first post // overall trying to master, or learn the perhaps classic ink-and-wash, or line-and-wash sketch, or art - direction . . .

Also, taking it bit easy for a few days, finally downloaded Unity, and want to try and make a character - controller, and a few interactables, or perhaps pre - viz, etc etc

16. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Last, a few sketches of the soldiers, or perhaps Navy SEAL units of the setting // trope - direction . . .

These are the spec - ops units // Knights of St. Arthur, or the Defenders of Cosmic Order, Wisdom, or Time . . .

And, that's the early - design, or work over the setting - details, not sure what type of content to make, perhaps an RTS, or an isometric - ARPG, either require a ton of knowledge, mechanics, and also various design, not sure . . . .

17. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Today, have a few big decisions, however also need to figure the music for an entire day of indie - dev . . .

Not sure, it's either . . .

1. Suzi Quatro & Chris Norman - Stumblin' In (Dj Danceman Remix Edit) - YouTube

Or, it's bit more . . .

2. Starship We Built This City Extended Club Remix - YouTube

It's one of the more important decisions, before of course making indie - content // retro - vintage arcade . . .

Anyway, it's of course important to be productive, and make sure the day is well spent, however half the journey is having fun, and the other is perhaps also making a few friends // feeling bit extra - wise here this morning, having a bit phase over oriental wisdom - classics, the books called ' Journey to the West ' . . .

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  18. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Making my first code // player - movement in Unity, had no way of using the engine before, now at least can make simple game - stuff, and more slowly learn C#, or there's no hurry, there should be no problem with a learning - disability // PTSD situation, that's now also gone, and also won't be asking the moderators a ton of question, think also learn from perhaps youtube - channels, or the more official learning content here at also Unity . . . .

#thx, for adding this feature, goal is to learn C#, however it's going to take years, even decades, it's simply too difficult, might be able to learn a bit of it over a few years, think know how to use the engine, not going to need help . . . .

19. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Got my first character - movement, need to find the right ' nodes ', then can make a camera - follow TPS character - controller, there's a problem, right after starting the test - level, there's a ' jitter ', or the movement isn't steady, then it goes somewhat steady, think it's an engine - bug // not sure how to make the code run more better . . .

Animation (23).gif

The code is working // there are no bugs, however the engine itself looks to ' run ' the code poorly, there's weird jitter, or weird movement - errors . . .

It looks like perhaps a problem more how the engine works, not sure all titles made in Unity have this ' stutter ' as the level starts, going to also try and fix the stuff // test the various settings . . . .

20. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Going to test this stuff // need to build a character controller, and early demo - level . . . .

Unity looks amazing, need to test the stuff for a few minutes, not sure it's an engine bug // my HP laptop isn't the best for running advanced software, or also 3D . . .

#thx, for adding visual script, think at least can make the ideas have in mind, and won't be asking a bunch of question all the time, think nearly drove the moderators insane, or there was nothing to do to answer the questions, basically had to leave, and was also politely helped to do that, now there's visual script won't be any more problems, not sure if a moderator sees this could at least look at it, was removed from the forum years ago, however now there's no problem . . .

21. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

And, got my first title working, it's just a one - button clicker // nothing happens, however all great things start from small beginnings, or perhaps additional investment of self, or character, going to make it happen . . . .

22. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Quick update, the character now movies in four directions, and the camera rotates around the character // pivot - point, simple stuff, made in visual scripting, for an early prototype . . . .

It's not super - advanced, however in the following update going to make a TPS - controller, and post a how - to video, also bit over how to use visual scripting, for those that might need a tutorial . . . .

23. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

So, it's a new day, and of course also a good opportunity to make some indie - content, however need to pick a soundtrack, or perhaps some music to go with the endeavour // creative insights . . .

1. AC DC - Thunderstruck (Crookers Remix) - YouTube

Or, not sure this is a better mood, or design - direction . . .

2. 9 To 5 - Dolly Parton (Butch Le Butch Remix) - YouTube

Anyway, it's a new day, and why not make some indie - content, or even retro - vintage quality stuff . . .

Bit early design // pre - viz boards . . . .

That's my current pre - viz design // pre - production references, not sure if to make either AA, or perhaps more AAA, however it's also important to keep the indie - standard . . .

The way of drawing trying to get right is called ink-and-wash // line-and-wash, it's a bit old - school, or based also on classic water - color // idea is to master, or challenge myself over the presentation, be aware it's all been made in the Samsung Notes app, on Samsung S7+ tablet, a few examples of line-and-wash . . .

It's also famous over british tv - shows // shows for children, or even teenagers, the cult - standard show called ' Wind in the Willows ' also had that art - presentation, or it's still trendy, or a heroic - sufficient design - overview . . .

24. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Also had another idea, a few days ago was on the Cryengine forum, and a bunch of trolls tried to make me feel really bad, and the mods there didn't do anything about // at best, then told the trolls it was a bit ' rude ', or so, basically the got away with ( heavy ) gang - trolling, and it made me both scared, and also upset, bit also felt traumatic . . . .

So, didn't know what to do, and there was no help, not sure Cryengine is run by trolls, or ( nazi ) wannabes, however it was quite traumatic, and even had to make some art - therapy over the stuff to feel better, made it into a video - game idea, these are very early design - structures, or at best pre - direction, and as such aren't going to be made into a game, or at all look like the final // ideal - review title, or it's just very early references, found on the internet in a few minutes . . .

THESE ARE EARLY - DESIGN // NOT SURE GOING TO MAKE THIS

EARLY REFERENCE # 002

EARLY REFERENCE # 003

IMAGE REFERENCE # 004

Anyway, not sure what's so bad over the Cryengine forum // WW 2 - trolls, or something, as a high - func autist a bunch of people half tried to make me do self - destructive things, or basically tried to push a gang - suicide, after looking at how bad the forum there was decided to find another engine, and made also bit art - therapy, or self - reflection to perhaps better understand the topic . . .

( nearly went to the hospital, that's how bad the Cry - trolls were, don't want to talk anything bad, or otherwise about another forum, at all, however it was so bad, also as a high - func autist, nearly went to the hospital, instantly knew needed a different engine, or perhaps a place with nicer people, or bit more gratitude, or ' spirit ' )

Doesn't matter, also was there for a few days, but it still hurts, and perhaps need to talk bit more over it // at the end of it, made the stuff happened into bit art, and perhaps a video - game over the topic of trolls, or what that stuff is about

Anyway, feel good now // not really angry, or even upset, for a few days felt really bad, and my response was to make it into bit early art - content, or perhaps talk bit over the stuff, or how // why it hurts, esp. to a high - func autist, to be pushed around, or trolled very badly, to the point were was suicidal // needed therapist, all this over wanting to make video - games, or perhaps a few friends

25. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Don't think going to make anything over the trolls // it was also bit more art - therapy, or helpful in describing what happened, mostly done, and after realizing a few forums had worst-ever trolls, not sure why Cryengine is so bad, just found a bit nicer place, and is also going to continue to have fun, or at least enjoy being an indie - dev // retro - arcade quality publisher, also generally think Unity is the better engine, or also support . . .

Going to make stuff over sci - fi witches // noble sorceress - content, and also forget about the trolls, it's better to spend time over indie - dev, than trying to make sense of, or even also listen to trolls // learned bit art - techniques over the stuff, and more than that, it's not wise, or perhaps even helpful to think of trolls . . .

26. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Don't want to make anything over trolls, or anything ' negative ', or pointless on the internet, going to let that idea go // focus on making a Tomb Raider video - game, here's a quick update over the classic TPS - controller working on . . .

It's not 100 % pro, and also need to figure the collision - system, however it's a start // my goal is not to struggle, or otherwise have problems with the engine, or code, it's to focus on story - telling, or the other strengths have atm . . .

27. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

alright, so need to get started on something for the video - game, and need to make an iconic location, the hide - out // moving fortress - base of the ' White Witches ', or ' Sisters of the White Cauldron ', basically noble sorceress, or perhaps into ' blessed ' voodoo, there are also several run-of-the-mill monsters could make in 3D, however overall the point is that the main characters, the Peters Sisters work for the army // government contracts, and also have a fortress - cathedral, that is inspired by the art - style of high - iconic gothic churches, so it'll be a ' location ', or event - placeholder in the title, or ' iconic ' landmark, bit over christian structure - design . . .

the alternative is try and make these into enemies, by making them into 3D, they're ' metaphors ', or myth - symbolic representations of real - world narcotics, where idea is to have either commentary, or then perhaps critique over what // how these artificial chemicals, or dangerous substances are ' bad ' over a video - game story // trope - setting . . .

upload_2023-3-6_23-8-58.png

THE ENEMY OF COCAINE // GAME - PLAY CANNONFODDER

upload_2023-3-6_23-11-8.png

THE ENEMY OF WEED, OR POT // GAME - PLAY CANNONFODDER

upload_2023-3-6_23-12-5.png

THE ENEMY OF CRACK // SMOKE - COCAINE // GAME - PLAY CANNONFODDER

upload_2023-3-6_23-12-49.png

THE ENEMY OF HEROIN // MOST OPIUM // GAME - PLAY CANNONFODDER

The idea is to have either critique, or then commentary on these problematic substances, and how // why to relate to them, also what various law - enforcement have to say about the stuff, goal is to be fair, debate these substances, and the pros // cons over taking them, and also the cultural, and personal consequences of getting involved with street substances, treat the topic with respect, and have various useful, and also researched information, ie. going to watch a few documentaries on youtube over the topic of narcotics, or then also various kinds . . . .

Because narcotics - use tends to devolve into, or amount to crime, or violence, or then gangs over selling the stuff, or so - called turf wars between gangs, the topic of narcotics, crime, and culture is the goal, and try to make an honest // based in ordinary wisdom review of the topic, ie. have bit commentary, or critique of the stuff . . . .

28. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Saw another Unity - dev on this forum post an ( amazing ) dev - log, a new RTS - classic to perhaps be the successor to ' Total Annihilation ', or ' Supreme Commander ', or that was their goal, to make such a cult - hit . . .

Made me think of why // what reason have for making video - games, and how varied, or different people's reason for making video - games is, for me these four things are most important, when making any content, or electronic entertainment, or the various art . . . .

1. story - telling, telling a cool, fun, or important story
    2. effects, explosions, particle - systems
    3. setting - details ( lore ), or either the culture, or ' politics ' of the setting
    4. 3D modelling // soundtrack - design, audio

Everyone is different, or have quite varied goals, or even wants, or whys, however it's an interesting discussion why people make video - games, or what differents reasons, or motives people have for also making content . . . .

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  29. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

It's very early morning here, and need to figure what music to listen to over making a video - game, not sure . . .

1. Soul Asylum Runaway Train X Tended UltraTraxx Mix - YouTube

Having a bit rough morning, so - so depressed, or not sure a bit over Mr. Springsteen remixes . . .

2. 2023 Music - Dancing In The Dark Remix - Bruce Springsteen - YouTube

Anyway, need to figure bit music to go with an entire of dev // writing stuff, or level - design . . . .

It's a good question what one could do if feeling bit depressed, perhaps make bit 3D - art over the stuff, get bit extra exercise, or listen to also nice music . . . . :) :)

30. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Alright, figured how to call animations, there was a problem over how stuff was imported, something ' legacy mode ', after changing a few of those settings the animation - stuff now runs // looks semi ' epic ' . . .

Making Stuff in Unity # 004 - Calling animations from code // weird error over ' rig ' legacy mode - YouTube

It's not the best stuff, however know how to make animations in Blender, and at least one could make some interesting content that way // visual story - telling, or even modern fiction . . .

Amazing engine, also very easy to use for non - coders, visual script is a bit weird, however it's 2000 % better than not having any system for non - coders, artists, or more prototypers to make stuff, very cool stuff, also features . . . .

31. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

After having thought over the stuff, and also reflecting on various types of content, and style, think have narrowed down what is my goals, or ' dreams ' over the medium of electronic // consumer - directed media, or then entertainment, of all the things, titles, or content ever played, or otherwise, these are the things find both most interesting, respectable, and inspiring to work on . . . .

- movie - like titles
    - amazing // progressive emotional epics, sagas
    - magic over effects, lighting, and 3D quality
    - soaring music, or iconic // timeless writing

However, also know, and respect that other people want other things, or simply don't want to make such things, or have other goals over making video - games, some want to make mobile - games, for others it's Tetris, or the near - classic Pong, that almost has no story, or defined setting . . . .

Everyone is different, and it's important to respect that, and also to be supportive, or otherwise of service . . . .

Anyway, just some thoughts, sitting here thinking, even reflecting on what want for myself, what work is more interesting, and what titles, or various topics make sense, or even half - philosophical musings over what indie - dev is, modern theater, drama, or writing, and how all this appeals to me, or perhaps what genres // tropes atm feel is most relatable

A few vintage titles, that to me also are among the few genuine examples of ' classic ' art, in the medium, almost movie - like experiences, with a unique atmosphere, sound - design, and also iconic characters, or well - written drama, or lore

The ' classic ' genres, if you asked me . . .

These things are interesting to me, also as a student of classic art, or the world - famous painters, sculptors that have defined modern art, and most of both the abstract, modernism, and expressionism . . .

32. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Today, want to make a spin - off, or derived content over the ' Godkiller ' sword from the 2017 - movie ' Wonder Woman ', where the sword was used to kill the god Ares, the greek god of war, or bravery . . .

There are nine repeating symbols on the sword, and as a high - func autist they're very interesting, and also look cool, not sure deciphering the symbols make that much sense here, however tried to do that on my youtube - channel, and the goal is to make a sword, or perhaps spear, scimitar, or even axe with weird symbols // arcane inscription - stuff . . .

link to my youtube - channel, the channel has various content, not just over indie - dev, might not be for everyone . . . .

LINK :: Charles Lamb - YouTube

Also, #sry if type bit funny, also know it looks weird, someone told me it was bit difficult to read, and trying to write in a way so it's easier to read also, or less spec - ops punctuation, or CIA // Navy SEALs internal army - chatter, or also report - style . . . .

33. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Working on some sketches for an early - design over Sun Wukong, or the ' monkey king ', it's from a classic book called ' Journey to the West ', and idea was perhaps to make either a video - game, or at least an audiobook - series over the iconic, if bit oriental - occult work, or perhaps also legendary fiction . . . .

Practicing sketches, or pre - viz boards over the character Sun Wukong, or the ' monkey king '
    Tried a pencil in Samsung Notes, and the result, or presentation was less than good

The character King Yama // Lord of the Underworld from ' Journey to the West '​

Not sure going to make a few levels over the ' monkey king ', or also for fun to make an audiobook lecture over the classic story, it's been made into countless tv - shows, also video - games, and remains a favorite character . . . .

Idea this morning is to work on a short title perhaps over these early - design, or perhaps work on a few weapons inspired // spin - off material over the sword ' Godkiller ', again not sure how // where to use these characters, or the best direction for either a video - game, or perhaps more visual novel, or interactive e-book over the work . . . .

34. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Alright, need some iconic weapons, and also villains for the title currently working on, and have also written bit early design - references, or perhaps lore - ideas, the question is what kind of art, trope - direction, or also writing to then make over this stuff, thinking the Darksiders series is really fun, and also has nice graphics // character - content . . .

It's an example of an ' apocalypse ', or arc over armageddon, it's mostly known from the book ' Revelations ', however it's just a series of apocalyptic steps that lead to the doom of all mankind, or the ' final ' battle between either religion, or some named deity, it's also more, or less the story // trope - setting that Darksiders is built on, it refers to an ' apocalypse ', or show - down where the final destroyer, or enemy-of-all-things appear, or there's a definitive battle between good, and evil, where evil may win, or the odds are not ( necessarily ) in the favor of the nice, or good side, or people . . .

35. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Early references for sci - fi Witchpunk, or CyberGuru - stuff . . .

The idea is that there are four classic sci - fi witches // spec - ops mercenaries, that work for the ( future ) Navy SEAL's, or do various spec - ops work, or fight evil cults, ' bad ' magic, or sorcery - demons, or weird sects . . .

The idea is to also have bit nods to the so - so best super - models ever, however there are prob. various (c) problems, and only going to refer a bit iconic fashion, or perhaps best - ever photos, it's the Peters sisters, or it's about their adventures, or the sorcery - cults, or various demons, or stuff they fight in the near future . . . .

Atm, have a basic idea, or also early - design, the entire setting is in cyber New York, or perhaps then Chicago, it's an early idea, and atm have only made the basic 3D - design, not sure specific stories, or etc etc . . . .

36. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Right now, have also made two early - reference ' music videos ', the idea is it's bit sci - fi, and also has a fleet soundtrack, however it's not my art, or also music, it's more to have at best references . . .

1. White Witches - early cartoon prototype # 001 // ideas . . . . - YouTube
    ( music starts at 40 seconds . . . )

2. White Witches - early cartoon prototype # 002 // ideas . . . . - YouTube
    ( music starts at 1 min . . . )

Right now don't know how to make a fleet soundtrack, and have made a few tribute - videos, or more for reference, or to get the ' idea ', or early - work . . . .

37. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Alright, for several years been working on a Tomb Raider - character, have made a story, setting, all kinds of stuff, and now just want to see the character . . .

Made an .fbx, also set import settings to ' legacy ', and now have a simple controller, IF movement is active, it plays a simple walk animation, if movement is false, the animations ' rewinds ', and it's a simple video - game . . .

Thank you, Unity, for empowering artists, also developers, studios, or teams, and also remembering the artists, or otherwise, that need visual scripting to make stuff in the engine . . . . :) :D

Add collision, a few textured obstacles, and it's almost a level // early - prototype . . . .

38. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Weird as it is, being into retro - indie // old - school stuff, been wanting to make bit ugly, or perhaps ' grungy ' graphics, or also art - direction, it's to capture the PS1 - PS2 graphics, or even the Commodore 64, or then Amiga - palette, for now been trying to make a few references, and ' get ' the idea, however weird as it is, want to make retro - indie stuff, and also make a special jam, where retro - fans get together, and make very old - school content . . .

The goal is to have content that's either 180p, or 360p, and everything has to be retro, or either PS1 - PS2, or worse, right now trying to perhaps ' define ' what that is, and goal is to make a retro indie // vintage arcade - jam, where also the focus is more on story, effects, or design, perhaps also with a view to classic art, or the museum - standard, however right now it's more ideas, and also a way to build prototypes, or then level - design . . .

The chart shows that on a scale of graphics, where a ' 10 ' is good // professional graphics, the goal of retro indie is to make stuff that's either bit ugly, or also ' grungy ', or depraved, to get that old - school look, or perhaps quality . . .

Not sure what to work on right now, however might make a bit Tomb Raider, or spec - ops content, however the goal is more to try and figure how to make a retro indie, or vintage arcade jam, and also to learn bit Unity, or 3D production, and perhaps to either make a few prototypes, or a bit design over the various ideas have at the moment, not sure what characters, or trope - setting to start over, however going to see what happens . . . .

39. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

For the past few years been quite interested in the classic masters, and have set various art - goals, or ' strategies ' for a small, or at-all Tomb Raider - clone, the idea is to have the classic masters be inspiration, however not necessarily the only influences on the design, or then setting - direction, or character . . .

1. Dali
    2. Raphael
    3. Leonardo da Vinci
    4. Botticelli

And, for the last content, or quality . . .

5. Rembrandt
    6. Hieronymus Bosch // van Gogh

Recently been very interested in esp. classic art, design, or ideas // vision, and think it might be an interesting direction, and that the subtle, however defined, also various intense ideals, or ' parameters ' of the classic masters of art, esp. oil - painting, or then sculpture are rather fascinating, and also worth at least learning about // techniques, also quality . . .

A various study // meditation on the better classic masters, no-debate, art is a bit subjective . . .

Anyway, goal is to explore level - design, writing, lighting // bit, over effects, and classic - art, or then meditations, and try to make a video - game that has at least reference to the masters, or avantgarde, or modernist expressionism, also the idea is to do bit reference - ideals over museum - traditions, or a few other classic disciplines . . . .

40. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Working on a few simple cubes // placeholder - geometry for a prototype, not sure how it's gonna look, etc etc . . .

And, the another image // need to figure how to make a fast, or also then flexible prototype - library, or resource . . .

It's also a good question if to use the terrain - feature, or build a more custom system, or external software . . . .

41. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

Quick dev - log over adding a box // capsule collider, not sure what's the best way to make collision, or also character - controllers work in Unity, also not sure either want to teach either code, or art, perhaps more just post dev - logs, or here-and-there updates . . .

Anyway, the engine works well, and one could add more colliders // content, and make a semi - functioning level . . .

42. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

for various reasons, the place upload images to ( atm, Facebook ) gives ' bad ' links, or doesn't work on a forum, so going to be uploading to another site, to see if it works . . .

Screenshot (5264).png

IMAGE # 001 -- reference 2x2 m cubes, 64x64 pixels for each side . . .​

Screenshot (5265).png

IMAGE REF # 002 -- the cubes in the editor . . .​

Screenshot (5266).png

IMAGE REF # 003 -- prototype cubes, ( very ) early work . . .​

Screenshot (5267).png

IMAGE REF # 004 -- the 32x32 pixels // meter prototype cubes . . .​

There's nothing really special about this stuff, however goal is to learn to make prototypes, and test perhaps also animations, lighting, story // setting stuff, or effects over deciding to make a more pro - looking level, or if an early design works, or either story, or then also characters make sense, etc etc . . . .

Anyway, more over early work, right now don't have a story, anything more than settings - review, and think want to focus on low - poly // mid - poly over the quality, and either have a resolution of 360p, or perhaps 720p . . . .

43. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

today, having no ideas for what to make, characters, or early - design, decided to watch a few talks over GDC . . .

upload_2023-3-23_9-39-29.png

no idea what the stuff was to begin with, apparently there's a game called ' Chicory ' that's a painting - simulator, or simple puzzle - content, it was interesting over the mechanics, and got to thinking could one use ' painting ' - puzzles in a video - game, or artistic problem - solving, not sure it was about, anyway made me think bit over puzzles, or what perhaps could do to add the stuff . . . .

the second talk was about a simulation // charity - content, and for every person that played they planted a tree, it's a quite interesting genre, and overall a fan of these do-stuff-charity events, however it tends to be about sports, or other stuff where live, overall not sure going to use any of the ideas in any of the videos, however it was interesting to watch, and learn bit over different ways of making content . . . .

overall working on a title over spec ops - witches, atm have a few sketches // basic topics . . . .

upload_2023-3-23_9-45-14.png

the goal is to make a few spec ops - witches, and make them cast good // ' gospel ' sorcery, or blessed voodoo, or magic - not sure, it's an early idea, atm that's the best got, and a few 3D meshes . . . .

upload_2023-3-23_9-47-33.png

IMAGE # 001 -- early references, for a small team of spec ops - witches

upload_2023-3-23_9-49-33.png

IMAGE # 002 -- a few early ideas, or so - so references for the team, etc etc​

the images are not my own, more quick // dirty - references from the internet, and aren't the final design, atm not sure what to make, and thought spending a few hours watching GDC might give a few new ideas, or perhaps also watching other titles that are similar to what have in mind, or early pre - viz, etc etc . . . .

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  44. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

so, having no ideas, or at all what to work on // made an early character - reference, or simple mood - board . . . .

upload_2023-3-23_10-16-49.png

IMAGE # 001 -- early character - design // cinematic pre - viz reference​

and, have been working on an early design - palette, for giving the title a unique visual appeal, the image is from the comic - book ' Metabarons ', over the character Dona Vicente, that perhaps was the overall topic, or also inspiration for the current title, not sure to call the series the ' White Witches ', or ' Sisters of the White Cauldron ', atm trying to decide on early pre - viz, and also get bit more over the story, setting - structure, and perhaps the lore, or topics . . . .

upload_2023-3-23_10-18-56.png

IMAGE # 002 -- the setting tone // design - palette for a spec ops - witch setting​

atm, have made the first 3D - models, and working on the overall idea, goal is to make a prototype in Unity over a few weeks, depending on other stuff, learning code, also effects, or design, also link to 3D - models . . . .

LINK 3D models by charlesmercyhilllamb - Sketchfab LINK OVER

ps. the reason type bit funny is because am a high - func autist, it also says so in the description, and right now have a bit of a phase over the Navy SEAL's // classic CIA - messages, and their internal memos, or various orders are written this way, think it's bit cool, or ' Navy SEAL ' type, or memo - style, etc etc . . . .

45. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

working on some new topology // not sure it's the best, trying to capture the basic female shape . . .

upload_2023-3-24_6-36-17.png

more from an artistic point of view, care less over poly - count, if it's the right shape, also perhaps if it animates well, that's all, goal is to skip learning anatomy also by using the sculpting, and topology tools, anyway bit early work, etc etc . . .

upload_2023-3-24_6-38-27.png

the overall goal is to get a ' fit ', mostly natural female shape, bit over muscular, or toned, it's also for a video - game where the female heroines are wearing tight swim - suits, and they're also physically trained by the army // spec ops - witches . . . .

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  46. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

alright, after years of practicing 3D - modelling, finally at the level where can poly - sculpt a character, and also have bit fun with custom retopology, however it's still quite noob, and more over practicing making edge - loops . . .

upload_2023-3-24_13-29-52.png

so, that was a small indie - dev challenge for myself today, try and sculpt an entire character from retopology, and a reference sculpt over the lower torso, then try and build everything from there, ie. there was no sculpt to work over for any of the retopo // also a good challenge, and test of mental skill, or fortitude . . .

upload_2023-3-24_13-31-43.png

anyway, there's no high - poly, it was more to see if could almost build an entire character from poly - building, also using the experience have from working over sculpting, and then also make the best-case, or most-logical retopology for the specific character, that's a spec ops - witch // gundam-punk sorceress . . .

the idea is to make sci - fi witches, that are also spec - ops soldiers, and hunt demons, cults, or cursed entities . . .

upload_2023-3-24_13-40-44.png

that's early - design, and not sure over the specifics, idea is to make something like Bayonetta, or Devil May Cry - series, however that's all the pre - viz could almost show over not spoiling the idea, the goal is to also get bit practice over Unity by making a more Tomb Raider - title first, however this is more early work // proof-of-idea, or concept . . .

upload_2023-3-24_13-44-30.png

the goal is to make something like this, stylized // super - proportionalized soldiers, however not sure how to make the code, or all the effects, and also need to get perhaps better at level - design, and directing a cinematic experience, or working with post - proc, and overall get familiar with entire production system, or the specific features, or quality - settings in the engine, etc etc, right now looking for esp. criticism, advice, and where-to-learn, or also tutorials that might help, esp. over learning effects, ' Timeline ', and also effects // post - proc . . . . :) :eek:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  47. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

added a simple raycast - gravity system, basically setting the y - direction of the character to the height of the terrain, or what is beneath the character, and have also added collision, that way have what it takes to make a simple video - game, however atm very much focused on writing, making sense of the lore, culture, or also local history of the place, and overall adding context, details, and quality to the idea, or then early - design . . .

think it's going to take quite a while to get all the ideas right, either getting the story down, or perhaps then various topics, also working on the culture // history of the setting, and writing bit more stuff over the character, it's a little bit amazing that one can make stuff in Blender, and then also make a video - game in Unity, overall it's a very fun engine, and it's easy to learn the stuff after finding a few video - tutorials, or then forums . . .

:) :cool:

48. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

been working on a slide, also information for people that want to make retro - content, not sure goal is to make a youtube - series that goes into the retro - style, or more just a basic how-to // when-if guide, not sure if that makes sense, also want to make a specific jam - server for people that like retro - style, or want to learn more, or get together to make bit old - school graphics, also design . . .

upload_2023-3-26_3-14-28.png

right now working on a few info - pictures, or ' slides ', and trying to give a better idea what ' retro ' is, and how one could make entire video - games, story - telling, or other stuff that way, right now the plan is to make a retro - jam server, and also teach the stuff, and perhaps help people also go into business over the genre . . .

upload_2023-3-26_3-18-21.png

early work, right now the goal is to add more retro - textures, perhaps simple props, lighting, effects, also as a way of limiting the amount of effort, lower the scope of making stuff, art, or effects, and getting an easy start into the topic of indie - dev, and to make a jam - server that focuses on this genre, or style, and also teaches it, and perhaps also use it as a half - formal education // way of getting paid work, or indie - dev . . . .

:) :eek:

49. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

added a ' no clipping ' camera using visual script, and think overall ready to start bit level - design, perhaps add either lighting, or audio - effects, or figure bit writing // ' readables ' to go with the experience . . .

Unity has a ton of easy-to-use // also results-driven features, and even if visual scripting isn't for all, at least it allows me to get a long - term goal done, to see the characters been working on walking around in a 3D - world, and overall gives a sense that important, or also hard - core stuff could get made in the engine, etc etc . . .

( note :: the clever words on the video - sprite is intended to be perhaps humor, or perhaps bit ' snarky ', however in a good setting, or spirit . . . . ) :) :eek:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  50. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

alright, started on a very easy pre - viz // prototype - tester, if that's the word, or business . . .

upload_2023-3-30_11-53-47.png

IMAGE REF # 001 -- work on a prototype, for a retro PS1 - PS2 title

the goal right now is to make **very** simple // retro - stylized prototype content, and if at all going to better quality, or production - stuff it'll be based on the story, setting, and if it makes sense to make anything ' pro ', or mega - tv stuff, overall want to go slow, and figure how to make retro - indie, or more vintage arcade quality before deciding if want to work on more serious stuff // AAA - quality, etc etc . . .

upload_2023-3-30_11-57-25.png

IMAGE REF # 002 -- simple retro quality block - out level // target is 360p, or perhaps PS2 settings

overall, want to make graphics like the Ultima Underworld - series, or somewhere between PS2 - retro, and perhaps more modern PS3, goal is also to figure several quality of life - measurements while making video - games, for instance 1. personal, 2. cultural, 3. psychological health, and try and find a balance between indie - dev, and having other stuff going on in my life, also either studying, or researching for the various content, so it's bit more rooted in reality, information, or ' real - world ' stuff, or what might be called the Tomb Raider - genre, also bit over retro, etc etc . . . .

the characters name is Belle Montfort, bit named also over the Belmont - dynasty from ' Castlevania ', the idea is she solves ancient mysteries, finds secrets, stops various cults // evil corporations, and also tends to end up chasing vampires, or a few other folk - lore monsters, a bit early design, or character - review . . . .

upload_2023-3-30_12-4-32.png

IMAGE REF # 003 -- the classic go to villain goal // ' ideology ' of following Nietzsche, Kant, Spinoza, Skinner

upload_2023-3-30_12-6-32.png

IMAGE REF # 004 -- another classic ' villain ' are the sects // ideological - cults of the middle - ages

right now have no idea what to actually make, and those are very old ideas, goal right now is to perhaps make something with Terminators // robots from the future, it's more bit over pre - viz, or early prototype design, and also deciding on what quality, or reference to have for the retro - elements, or vintage PS2 - settings . . . .

also, don't want to go into any sort - of debate // heated stuff over whether these philosophers were right, or not, it's more a classic ' villain ', or the stuff where science has gone too far, leads to wars, or the pursuit of will, power-over-nature, reason, and any-goals-make-sense in the name of science takes over, think that's bit interesting, and perhaps wanted to have bit topics over that, perhaps also various commentary over historical stuff that has gone wrong // why, when that happened, or politicians followed in that thinking ( Hitler, a few others ), those are very early ideas, or design - tropes, and overall think it could look cool in retro - style . . . . :) :D