Search Unity

Working on a GDD

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Duskling, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Duskling

Duskling

2. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Its very brief and very inspecific, which is the opposite of what a GDD should be.

Should be broken down into the individual monsters, including appearance, actions, behaviours, what levels they appear, etc

3. Acumen

Acumen

Yeh it kinda has the same flaws as the previous attempt.
    I kinda have the feeling that youre doing this without actually wanting to work on that very game.
    I remember working on various gdd 10years ago just for the sake of it and I could never really dive into it entirely aince I had no plan of actually going into devmode.
    If this really is something you want to do you should be on fire and have much much more written down before showing it to anyone.
    Atm you have the same general premise outlines as in your previous attempt.
    Basically I could link you to the same resources I had shown in the previous thread.

Just go for it man ! Get specific. And commit. At the moment it seems you had another cool idea, wrote that down but now that it would need to go into details it results in actual hard work.
    It seems you're afraid to take the leap and are overwhelmed by the scope of the game.

Make it an even smaller project and finish it from start to finish. That would be a much better learning experience and feeling of success when you finish that - feeling of accomplishment.

Best of luck with your gdd adventures :)

4. Duskling

Duskling

Thanks for the criticism, the other one I wrote was because I had an idea for an mmo, obviously I wouldn't make it. This game I actually want to make, and I plan in going into greater detail, I just wanted to know what people thought of it so far.

I was planning on doing that, thanks.

5. Kyena

Kyena

We are about to finish up a GDD as well from our side, so I know where you are coming from.

It should be THE go-to document for anything development related and over. Just to give you an idea which points we have (among many more) covered in ours (which is 30 pages long :)):

Core Game Idea
    Gameplay
    Genre
    Target Audience
    Important Characters (both playable and non playable)
    Design Goals
    UI Design
    Inspirations (if any)
    Actual Storyline written out
    Game World/Environments in depth description of the different locations
    Game mechanics: Camera controls, Player controls, skills, abilities, tools, props etc
    Quests/Objectives
    Menu System (inventory, hud etc)
    Music/Sound
    Cutscenes

To only name a few more you could write about. Also, as mentioned, it's really important to get into as much detail as possible. It's boring but very necessary to have both for yourself (or your team) but also for interested 3rd parties.

BTW: really love the illustration in your post

6. Duskling

Duskling

Thank you for sharing, I will try and target those topics.

Also, sadly I did not make that image, I found it on the internet, But It is a big inspiration of the game.