Search Unity

Working in Maya, what size should the models be?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by kerrmedia, Nov 4, 2015.

1. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

If I wanted to build a house lets say, in Maya, to export to Unity, so that I could use it for a FPS, are there optimal sizes for the mesh? Any documents on this? Just getting started, thanks!

2. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Unity Units are abstract but are often thought to be about 1 meter.

You can make your model in any set of units, but there are items like the default built in gravity settings are 9.81 unity units per second, which is tuned to a size of 1 unity unit being about 1 meter.

3. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard

Extreme large space need more precision than small space. If you are building an extreme large space game, "1 unity unit" represent more meter would be better. Otherwise "1 unity unit == 1 meter" would be suitable.

4. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Yes - if your game is dealing with scales that are extremely large or extremely small, you may want another scale.

Also, depending upon what you are doing, you can mix your scales - if you are very careful. In doing some "real" space environments, I have seen some authors successfully mixing scale, where planets were on one scale, and ships on the other, and they used a very clever mix of cameras and layer mixing to allow apparently large planets and small ships in the same frame - but you have to be clever and very careful.