Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Working faster with Unity compilation

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by FeastSC2, Oct 16, 2020.

1. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

Hey,

It would be amazing if when Unity is compiling the scripts the editor was not frozen!
    Because it takes a good 20 seconds to finish compiling. And it's only going to get worse over time with more scripts.

In that moment, I could do simple operations in the Editor: moving around my scene view, dragging objects in components, ... Anything really ;)
    But here I must patiently wait, staring at this progress bar.

Is there a way to make the compiling not freeze the entire editor?
    I think that would make users gain quite a bit of time when creating their game. I know at least it would for me.

upload_2020-10-16_15-24-5.png

Joe-Censored and PraetorBlue like this.
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

FeastSC2 likes this.
  3. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

As it stands compiling takes around 13s, and AssetDatabase.Refresh() takes around 10s.

Are you saying I can get rid of these 10 seconds?

(I'm asking because it might take some time to try to edit my scripts and I would rather avoid doing it if it's not for a significant gain :) )

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Sorry, all I know is I read that thread recently and the image you posted looked like it was stuck at the exact place the thread was saying was a performance regression. Wish I knew more.

FeastSC2 likes this.