Search Unity

Workflow question

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by eXeler0, Jan 21, 2010.

1. eXeler0

eXeler0

Hey folks,

I'm a Unity n00b and I wonder if you can either tell me or point me to a link with more info about optimal work flow for 3dsmax/Unity.

My primary concern is how to manage the assets in the best possible way. Unity "manual" seems to suggest that it's best to keep assets in max format. But my experience so far is that this doesn't work as it should. Sometimes Unity just refuses to re-import max scenes and simply goes on forever (until I kill the process, anyway). On the other hand, if I manually export the same scene to FBX it works just fine.

But the main goal here is to have a good work flow where I will be able to update the assets without too much hassle and not need to re-apply shaders and materials.
    Any suggestions?

Thanx in advance

2. holmeren

holmeren

Hey and welcome.

Heres how I do it:
    1 Model your mesh
    2 Export it in unity to see how it looks (export selected FBX)
    3 Unwrap it (Max)
    4 Export it again
    5 Make your texture while looking at you mesh in Unity, very important.
    7 Make it to a prefab
    8 Place it in your scene.
    9-10000000 Tweaks ;)

3. eXeler0

eXeler0

Ok, thx ;-)

How do you control multiple UV channels? The FBX import settings allow you to switch UV channels which makes me think it only supports 2 different UV channels. Is this true? Do I have any control over it at the material level (like specifying what map channel it should use for eg. detailmap, or lightmap etc) or is the FBX import "switch UVs" -setting the only control I got?

Thanx again

-----
    /Unity n00b

4. holmeren

holmeren

Only 2 UV channels yes (Unity and FBX support)
    You can switch UVs and tile them up and down and off set them.
    If you are ever in any doubt try click the small ?mark in the inspector. Its the GOLD button ;)