Search Unity

Workflow for releasing new content for an existing build?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by col000r, Oct 28, 2018.

1. col000r

col000r

Let's say I have a game and all items in the game are Addressables stored on a server somewhere. If I want to release a new item without making a new build, how would I do that? How does the existing build become aware of the new content? Do I need to write a registry that handles this?

Couldn't find this in the docs. Anyone have any pointers as to how to do this?

2. unity_bill

unity_bill

3. col000r

col000r

Hey, thanks a lot! I found your talk in the long livestream replay and it is indeed very helpful.

It seems all I need to do is set my remote groups to remote build and load paths and then upload what shows up in the build path onto the server I specified in the load path, no other crazy server stuff involved! nice!

I'm trying to follow along with what you do in the talk, and I ran into one issue: The prepare/build for content update step asks for a .bin file, but building doesn't produce a .bin file in the build folder for me. No .bin anywhere in sight. What am I doing wrong?

4. col000r

col000r

Aha! .bin file only gets created if I have a static group.

5. col000r

col000r

I just failed to get a material updated in a remote bundle and it took me a long while to figure out. I didn't realize that I had to save the project before doing Build for Content Update and so the changes to the material didn't make it into the bundle.
    The project gets saved when you do a normal build, maybe the Build for Content Update build script should include an AssetDatabase.SaveAssets too?