Search Unity

Question Work with geolocated objects

Discussion in 'AR' started by vshehu, Jun 15, 2021.

1. vshehu

vshehu

Hi all,

I am very new to Hololens AR development (though I have more than 20 years of background in developing 3D applications using OpenGL, webGL, DirectX, even Java3D :) ...). I am also fluent in C#, Java, C/C++...

For this project I need to implement an application that will display pollution sources in Hololens. These sources have their GPS coordinates (lat, lon, alt). When the user puts hololens glasses on, he should see color coded information about these pollutants.

I have two questions:
    1. How to display objects in Hololens that have GPS coordinates instead of x, y, z.
    2. Any good book / tutorial that you could provide that will help me with developing such applications?

2. RemyJacks

RemyJacks

Microsoft Employee

Hi @vshehu ,
    I'd suggest you check out the Maps SDK. It may be a good place to get started. Maybe a couple ways to approach it, a large map that shows multiple GPS coordinates, or a smaller map that zooms to the different objects based on their coordinates.
    We actually just shipped a Learn Path that could be a good starting template and tutorial to get you going on your project. It uses map pins provided by the Maps SDK that will show you data or 3D models geolocated on a map. Here are some helpful links if you want to check it out:
    Learn Path that uses Maps SDK: Build mixed reality digital twins with Azure Digital Twins and Unity - Learn | Microsoft Docs
    Digital Twin Learn Path GitHub: MicrosoftDocs/mslearn-mr-adt-in-unity: This is a repo that holds the sample code for the Mixed Reality and Azure Digital Twins in Unity Learn Path (github.com)
    Maps SDK overview: Garage projects team up to illustrate the power of mixed reality in a new SDK and sample app - Microsoft Garage
    Maps SDK getting started GitHub: Getting Started · microsoft/MapsSDK-Unity Wiki (github.com)

vshehu and KyryloKuzyk like this.
  3. vshehu

vshehu

Thank you very much @RemyJacks I checked the links and they were very helpful in giving me some insight on how to use Maps in our implementation.

I also need to do some research in how to implement something similar to this:

We have sensors distributed around very large areas (few km apart from each other) and the all detect pollution in their particular location and report this information to a database. Each sensor has lat/lon. We want the hololens users to see in the direction of the sensor and see the sensor including the amount of polution. I am having a difficulty adding 3D objects in hololens by only having geospatial coordinates.