Search Unity

Feedback Work toward making Package Manager to use nonblocking operations

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by rz_0lento, Jan 24, 2020.

1. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I don't know what obstacles there are now to properly multithread this (I suspect the issues are more on managed processing side) but currently the biggest pain on PM is that every update/removal you do is a blocking operation. You change one thing and you wait for a long time for Unity to process it.

PM tab should just be responsive frontend instead where you could queue operations and get updates on what happened there. If there's no feasible way to do this, then at least allow users to just queue the operations and hit apply once they've changed everything they wanted.

I love PM but the further Unity has gone with packages, more I find just modifying the manifest.json manually on text editor as it's simply many times faster if I need to modify multiple packages at once. This is the exact opposite of what should happen when you have GUI tool like Package Manager.

2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @rizu,

Thank you for your feedback. It totally makes sense and we already have plans to improve the Package Manager user experience (e.g. batched operations, download progression feedback, ...)!

I will forward your feedback to the respective teams. Hang on and thank you for your support! :)

Regards,

Pascal

rz_0lento likes this.