Search Unity

Work on a project with both Mac and Windows (same computer)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MythicalCity, Mar 10, 2020.

1. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

Hi, anyone know if it's possible to have 1 project folder on a shared partition on a mac and then access that same folder from both Mac and Windows (via bootcamp)? I know I could just use source control but that would require having 2 copies of the same project on the computer taking up double space.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

My understanding is there are some OS specific files inside the library folder. So you may end up with some reimporting every time you switch between them, and worst case having to delete the library folder first and then go through a full project reimport. For a small project this might be a non-issue, but larger projects could result in hours of waiting. I'd suggest just making a backup of your project folder and trying it out.

3. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

I gave it a try but keep running into an error that basically crashes my mac. I put the project onto a new partition that is exFat formatted (so it can be read nicely by both Win and Mac), however Unity on Mac won't open it as it gets to a Fatal Error when it is processing some shaders. The error says: Attempt to write to readonly database. Then the error can't be closed and the computer has to be restarted.

This is with a freshly pulled project from my git repo, so it has never been opened on either mac or windows (so no library or temp folders).

I also tried to put this onto an external drive that is also exFat formatted and the same thing happens. However if I create a brand new project on that partition (or external drive) then I can open and close the project (but I haven't tried importing a shader).

4. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

Does anyone know whether Unity for Mac will work on a project that is on an exFAT drive?

5. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

Well, kind of got it working, I just had to open the project for a first time on the Windows side. Then the Mac side opened the same project without problems.

However, I see that there are some whitespace differences in sourcetree if I look at the file changes, some scripts want to get completely committed (ie: all lines show whitespace only changes), some scripts only the actual changed lines are showing up as normal. Not sure if it's because some scripts are in unix formatting or something like that.

6. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

Ok more issues with this, turns out VS on Mac cannot save script files you modify on an exfat partition. So, if you open up a script on VS on Mac, change it and try to save it doesn't do anything.. no error or anything. So looking like it may just not be possible to use exfat drives on Mac for Unity projects :(