Search Unity

Work In Progress - Underwater competition! (New Deadline July 1)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Tim-C, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StormGamer

StormGamer

ill change that, ty

2. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

Sub Panic - very early alpha concept
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80435049/SubPanic/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

Set aboard a rickety old Russian sub, stranded in unfriendly waters, with a broken ballast pump, malfunctioning nuclear arms, fires and a boat that doesn't know whether to break or submerge - Sub Panic is one game that'll have you swimming, or sinking! Man the ballast pumps to release the water causing you to sink. Fix the electrical wiring that threatens to accidentally launch a nuclear missile and start World War 3. Stay below the radar range, but not too low, because then the ship begins to break down even faster with the external stress. Put out all the fires. This first person real time strategy sub crawler will have you rolling in waves of panic!

That's the plot anyway. The game itself will be similar in style to many speed management sims (aka Diner Dash), where you will need to manage several crisis at once for as long as possible. The longer you survive, the more points you get.

At the moment, the movement works, and there are several buttons place around the "sub". At the moment, all they do is lower the ballast (which for some odd reason, I name bilge pumps... will have to change that).

3. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

Slave Miner With my own bad texture ;)

$CaveMiner.JPG

$CaveMiner2.JPG

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  4. MadRobot

MadRobot

Hey nice! I like the movement system, and the design idea sounds cool!

5. MadRobot

MadRobot

Demo Update!

Now there is some serious underwater terrain. It's pretty exotic. It's not textured yet, so the light can do funny things... But check it out, it's pretty creepy! This is more deep pacific ocean exploration.

Added a compass display to the HUD as well as made the lighting behaviour better. The light now fades away as you go deeper.
    Added lights to your sub.

Controls
    WASD -- move sub laterally and forward/backward
    QE -- turn left and right, like a car steers
    Arrow Keys -- Pitch and Roll sub, like a plane flies

1 -- toggle forward light
    2 -- toggle the two forward wide angle lights
    3 -- toggle the two side lights

SPACE -- Fire a net to capture a sea turtle. You have around 50. There's no ammo display yet.
    RIGHT CONTROL -- Fire an underwater flare (you'll need them on this new terrain!) You have 50. There's no ammo display yet.
    H -- Toggle HUD

ESC -- open the 'menu' to relaunch the sub

Play

6. Demigiant

Demigiant

I'm still not sure if I'll be able to participate, but here is a quick concept-art about the mood of my eventual game (Below) :)

$below_conceptArt_01_sml.png

@Lukasaurus: Eye of the Beholder inside a submarine! Love the genre: if developed well this could really be a cool game :)

@MadRobot: I'm liking where you're going. With each update it's becoming more interesting :)

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  7. mcunha98

mcunha98

Another NPC for my game...

8. hjupter

hjupter

this count too?

9. kweiko

kweiko

haha fun contest! Alright let's see what everyone (incl. me) come up with :D

10. BlueRain01

BlueRain01

Wooha ..interesting !! join the battel for fun of course !

11. MadRobot

MadRobot

Looks nice! Is that NinjaPvP?

12. hjupter

hjupter

Thank you!!.. yes it is :)

13. MadRobot

MadRobot

Demo Update!

It's back to the basic shallow carribean sunlit water for this one. I've been working a lot on the creature AI and I thought I would show off one of the badguys. Click Play to watch him hammer the tar out of the player's sub. Oh, there's no player interaction. It's just fun to watch.

Oh and if you look carefully, you may see one of the sea turtles in the background. One may even swim by close to the camera.

Play!

14. neurograph

neurograph

This is a realtime 3d visualizer we developed using UNITY. It shows the marine species you can find exploring the western ligurian sea depths. Its based on the data collected over a year of underwater surveys and was made for outreach and educational purposes.

WATCH VIDEO: http://youtu.be/6eVjh2K5Wmc

Last edited: May 22, 2012
    adriansnetlis likes this.
  15. Demigiant

Demigiant

@neurograph @hjupter : very nice (and I love NinjaPvP since the first time I saw it :)), but I'd like to remember everybody that only stuff made on purpose for this competition should be submitted (link) ;-)

16. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

this is free ?to get?

17. neurograph

neurograph

ooops, I'm really sorry!

18. MadRobot

MadRobot

Demo Update!
    New stuff is italicized

Back to the Abyss for more deep pacific ocean exploration. It's a 2 kilometer square, 600 meter deep piece of terrain, so there's plenty to explore.

Submarine Improvements
    • Added the 6th degree of movement (straight up and down).
    • Sub impellers now rotate to point in the direction of thrust (although they still need some work).
    • Sub props now turn only when being used.
    • Sub lights oriented better. I'm considering giving the player the ability to aim them.
      [*]Flares got a major rework. Now they light up brighter than before. They also flicker like a real flare. They also last longer, fall slower and burn out when they hit the floor.
    • The sub still has no weapons, but sometimes you can frighten away attacking creatures by dropping a flare.

Cameras
    • The sub now has two external cameras!
      [*]Added rear view camera.
      [*]Added bottom viewing camera, which is very helpful when making steep descents into canyons.
      [*]Player can switch to first person point of view to pilot the sub directly.
      [*]Mouse look function available in third person pov.

Arcade vs Sim Control
    Sub controls refined.
    • Arcade vs Sim control selector available on Sub-Launch HUD
      I wrote both control sets at the same time; I wasn't sure which control setup I'd like better so I just coded both. The physics system uses forces and physics to move your craft around, basically maneuvering the sub by applying thrust at different locations the way a real exploration sub works. The arcade style is a little more responsive and a little easier to maneuver.

Eevil Eels (tm)
    Massive overhaul on the Eevil Eels (tm).
    • Eevil Eels no longer leave the water to go joy riding around in the air (that was very unnerving).
      [*]They also do a pretty good job of avoiding terrain now too. All while roaming freely.
    • Eels can also attack (and kill) sea turtles (remember that's why you're here right?).
    • But watch out because the Eels can knock your sub around a bit too! And they have a little surprise as well!
    • Added some more wildlife to the Abyss. Be careful, if you antagonize the creatures too much, they will attack you.

Control Keys

Maneuver Controls
    WASD -- move forward/backward and laterally, like an FPS
    Comma and Period -- Hover up and down, like a helicopter

Light Controls

Camera Views
    R -- toggle rear view camera
    B -- toggle bottom view camera
    TAB -- toggle First-Person / Third-Person POV
    Left ALT -- Mouse Look (only in Third-Person POV)

H -- Toggle HUD
    Right CTRL -- Drop an underwater flare

Other Actions
    Space -- Fire a net to capture a sea turtle. You have around 50.

Play

Please have a look and tell me what you think. I'll be honest... It creeps the hell out of me.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  19. MadRobot

MadRobot

Thanks Izitmee! I just posted another update. Btw, something about your concept art there... it's creepy! Nice job!

20. hjupter

hjupter

Thank you :) .... I actually built a special scene for the contest so just grabed few stuff I had built and made something out... but if its not acceptable for the contest there is np :)

21. BusterBlader

BusterBlader

Very cool :) I would like to see some turtles or sharks in this Game...but in a little higher sea level...

22. polytropoi

polytropoi

23. MadRobot

MadRobot

Wow! That's really awesome! I love the fish! And the textures are pretty sweet! Nice design on the weird tree-n-ball things, too. You project has so many things I wish mine had! The background water sounds, the random bubbles.. .The water caustics.. The fish :)

Great start!

Edit:
    Hey I just noticed you're in Austin! I'm up in Temple!

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  24. MadRobot

MadRobot

Hey thanks! Sharks may come later. I felt they are often the traditional badguys and so wanted to stay away from that. Just to be different. If they show up, they'll more likely just be dangerous wildlife as opposed to the major 'enemies.' Right now the eels are the ones to watch out for.

There are sea turtles, however. In that map you saw, there are actually 20 swimming around. But, it's a pretty big map :)
    I've been alternating my demos between that map and a much more shallow 'Caribbean' style map. That map is only 30 meters deep and is well lit. The turtles are very easy to see there. Perhaps next update I'll go back to that map. It just depends on what I'm trying to show. This time, it was a lot of sub stuff (the bottom and rear views, the lights, improved movement, etc) and the Caribbean map didn't really do the new features justice.

25. BusterBlader

BusterBlader

Oh Cool :) Didn't see the turtles :D You can make a map where the light changes if you are going deeper or higher and the vegetation (corals, animals) changes with the sealevel?

26. polytropoi

polytropoi

@MadRobot, thanks! Your scene is coming along, I think the mechanics are good. Maybe a little dark, but I like the realism of the sense of depth. Keep it up!

Jim

27. Muzzn

Muzzn

I've decided to enter this as well. I'm going to do a tech demo, rather than a game, and try and get some light shafts, caustics, ripples and texturing in Unity Free.
    Going to sit down and code for the next few hours, will show progress.

28. Muzzn

Muzzn

Ok, here we go. First WIP image:

If not working, link: http://imgur.com/1SM0F

Some nasty colours, and looks rather cartoony, but I'm working on the code. Basically, ripples are being generated and then this affects the colour of the water. (White at top, blue at bottom.) It works by Perlin noise.

Also, I wrote a quick editor script to quickly colour in the scene. Kinda useful while prototyping; staring at white cubes is boring.

Here it is, if anyone has use for it:

Code (csharp):
    1. var shapes : GameObject[];
    3. class Colourer extends EditorWindow {
    5.     var myString = "Hello World";
    6.     var myColor : Color;  
    7.     // Add menu named "My Window" to the Window menu
    8.     @MenuItem ("Window/Colourer Window")
    9.     static function Init () {
    10.         // Get existing open window or if none, make a new one:
    11.         var window : Colourer = EditorWindow.GetWindow (Colourer);
    13.     }
    15.     function OnGUI () {
    16.         shapes = GameObject.FindGameObjectsWithTag ("ColourObject");
    17.         GUILayout.Label ("Change the colour", EditorStyles.boldLabel);
    18.         GUILayout.Label ("Change the colour of gameObjects with the tag 'Colour'.");            
    20.         myColor = EditorGUILayout.ColorField("New Color", myColor);                    
    21.     }
    22. }
    23.     function Update(){
    24.         paint();
    25.     }
    27.     function paint(){
    28.         for (var shape in shapes){
    29.             shape.transform.renderer.sharedMaterial.color = myColor;
    30.         }
    31. }
    Just put it in an editor folder, name it 'Colourer'. To use it, tag some objects 'ColourObject' and then open it from the window menu.

I could make loads of improvements (materials being created, null checks, etc. but it's just useful to throw some colour on your scene.

29. MadRobot

MadRobot

Demo Update!
    New stuff is italicized

Game Concept
    You are an underwater explorer and researcher equipped with a submarine. While conducting your operations, you must be on the look out for opportunities to raise research money and increase your popularity.

Research money comes in the form of research grants based on the information and data you bring back from your dive. Research money is generated by taking photos or video of rare underwater creatures, or tagging an exotic denizen of the deep with an RF transponder. Use money to repair, replace or upgrade your sub.

Prestige comes from the press and mass media. If you take great pictures or underwater video, your photos will be used on the covers of popular magazines, or a movie might be made using your footage. The higher your prestige, the more research opportunities you have to choose from (the more missions are available). You start with a single mission: Rescue the sea turtles.

There is a trade off however. It is a sad truth that the most lucrative (in terms of research) data is often not the most exciting material to watch. So balance your research gathering with prestige generating activites.

Code (csharp):
    2. Activity            Research Money  Prestige
    3. Rescue Sea Turtles  low             high
    4. Photograph          low             medium
    5. Video               medium          medium
    6. RF tag              high            low
    Game Improvements
    • Title Screen added
    • Map select added (now you can choose between the shallow map or the abyss)
    • Mission select added (there's only one mission, but the foundation is there now)

Submarine Improvements
    • Added a 'camera' camera. I am considering having some of the missions require you to photograph, video or 'tag' variouis sea creatures for scientific research.

Cameras
    • The rear view and bottom view camera's now have a rudimentary frame, so it's a little easier to distinguish the video feed
      [*]Camera feeds have been moved slightly to be less obtrusive when active

Eevil Eels (tm)
    The stupid eels go joyriding above the water when you aren't looking. I don't consider this a feature. This is proof they are truly evil. I can't figure out why they do this, or how to stop them.

Controls

Maneuver Controls
    WASD -- move forward/backward and laterally, like an FPS
    Comma and Period -- Hover up and down, like a helicopter

Light Controls

Camera Views
    R -- toggle rear view camera
    B -- toggle bottom view camera
    C -- toggle the research camera
    TAB -- toggle First-Person / Third-Person POV
    Left ALT -- Mouse Look (only in Third-Person POV)
    H -- Toggle HUD
    Right CTRL -- Drop an underwater flare

Other Actions
    Space -- Fire a net to capture a sea turtle. You have around 50.

Play
    Please have a look and tell me what you think.

30. Demigiant

Demigiant

@MadRobot: the idea is really nice, and I like how it's evolving. With good controls and a good UI it might really be fun to play, but at this state, the controls are still too messy to be playable. Also, I'd suggest writing the controls inside the web page (if not inside the game) so that a quick reference can be seen while playing.

31. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

Updated some more game play elements, enemies shoot, player dies etc. Probably going to start working on some game models now to take a little break from programming. Also I've found that using Unity terrain makes the draw calls way to high for mobile, anyone have any suggestions?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42597431/watercontest/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

32. MadRobot

MadRobot

Hey thanks for the feedback Izitmee! These are definitely things I have on my 'todo' list. I know the UI is crap and needs work. But, can you elaborate on the controls? I thought they were working pretty well. I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you like/don't like. If you can't be more specific, that's cool too :)

Thanks!

33. Demigiant

Demigiant

Maybe it's just me, but I find the controls very difficult to use :p As of now, you need to use 10 keys just to move around (excluding the left/right arrow, which can be avoided), and it gets very complicated. What might already help is swapping the up/down keys with the w/s ones. It's more intuitive to have movement controls on one hand, and what might be considered as gas/acceleration on the other.

34. MadRobot

MadRobot

Yea, 6 axis of movement, 2 directions each... 12 keys. :) I was willing to accept a little complexity, but maybe it's too much. My intent had been to keep the similar 'piloting type' keys near each other. For example, if you want to 'fly' the sub, then the arrow keys are more for you. If your conception is more like 'driving' then ws/qe are for you. If you think more FPS, wasd. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback. The controls aren't set in stone. It's just the working config. I'm gonna think about what you said for a bit and see if i can't find a more intuitive setup. Thanks very much for letting me know what you thought!

35. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

Started using Modo to do my models, here is one of the enemies, not textured yet.

36. Demigiant

Demigiant

Really nice :) I'm curious about Modo: what's your workflow for making the low-poly version for Unity?

37. MadRobot

MadRobot

Very nice!

38. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

I don't know if I really have a workflow yet, still learning, I basically just start modelling with sub D mode off and go from there. The thing I like about modo vs other 3d packages, is it's just easy to find where stuff is.

39. rmail2006

rmail2006

40. MadRobot

MadRobot

I haven't worked on my game for this in over 2 weeks because I was finishing up my entry for the Unity Awards 2012 competition. Is the deadline for this contest still June 20th?

41. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Oh no.... I forgot about this whole thing :(

42. Blacklight

Blacklight

:O Me too.

43. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

I think that the judging should be postponed....I don't see many finished projects/game for this competition...

I haven't finished mine yet :(

44. StormGamer

StormGamer

i stopped working on mine since i had too much work to do =/
    if i can i´ll try to finish it since its almost finished

45. Demigiant

Demigiant

Well, it looks like even the competition creator disappeared :p Stramit?

46. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

47. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Whoops. Made the deadline... unintentionally. As in - today is the judging.

48. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi all, due to the announcement of Unity 4.0 things have been MEGA hectic for me. Because of this I am extending the deadline to the 1'st of July!

49. StormGamer

StormGamer

hey guys, so i declare my game finished, should i post it in here or send it to any email?

50. virror

virror

Post it here so everyone can test it : D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.