Search Unity

Work In Progress - Underwater competition! (New Deadline July 1)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Tim-C, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

I thought it would be fun to hold a little competition :)

The theme for this competition is 'Underwater' and it is open to all disciplines of game making!

This competition is very open in terms of theme, you can do ANYTHING so long as it fits the theme!

Programmers / Designers: Make an underwater themed game!
    Artists: Create a beautiful underwater scene, model a sea creature, or even a sea monster!

Don't let realism hold you back.

Judging will be community based, and will start on June 20, so you have a little over a month ;) I'll even be making something for this competition.

Prizes
    No idea what (if any) prizes there will be. I'll try and sort something out, but no promises!

Some clarifications
    The only requirement is that the 'submission' is in Unity (preferably webplayer format). It can be a game, or a model, or a scene or anything Unity related. The goal is to put something together in Unity.

No requirements or limits, just so long as it runs in a webplayer!

You can form a small team if you like, the point of this competition is to make something fun and interesting.

Using the student version will be fine. There is NO ownership transfer of anything you submit you maintain total ownership. :) This is all to create some fun in the work in progress area :)

Deadline extended
    Due to being super busy and not able to handle the judging this week, the deadline is extended to the 1'st of July!

2. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Please post any logs or work in progress for the competition in this thread!

3. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I will enter this :D

4. Demigiant

Demigiant

Cool! Damn! Awesome! Ohno!

Aha, these are my initial reactions. I love the idea, but am just trying to finish development of my little game (Journeyballs). Will see if I can manage to participate anyway :)

5. janpec

janpec

I am probably not going to enter becouse i dont have time, but just out of curiousity what are exactly requirements to enter competition? Scene, model, textures, game? Which of those?

6. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

As janpec has stated, what are the requirements? tris count amount, this is for scene, characters (monsters tris count amount. ect) what are the texture resolution we can use? And how many texture maps can we use?

The biggest one I would like to ask is, can we have teams of 2? So programmer and a modeler/texture artist.

7. StormGamer

StormGamer

im in! exelent chance to train my programming skills, btw does 2d count?

8. StormGamer

StormGamer

one more question, do we have to own the license for the programms used? for example i want to use maya student version for my game am i allowed?

9. ivanzu

ivanzu

I dont think that you need as long as you are not selling the thing you made.

10. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

I'll try find some time to enter this. Pixel art meybehh

-charlie

11. ivanzu

ivanzu

Nice hand_painted model competition would be cool :p.

12. StormGamer

StormGamer

good to know!
    im going to make a 2d game! almost everything on my head! it´s time to write it down!

13. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

The only requirement is that the 'submission' is in Unity (preferably webplayer format). It can be a game, or a model, or a scene or anything Unity related. The goal is to put something together in Unity.

No requirements or limits, just so long as it runs in a webplayer!

You can form a small team if you like, the point of this competition is to make something fun and interesting.

Using the student version will be fine. There is NO ownership transfer of anything you submit you maintain total ownership. :) This is all to create some fun in the work in progress area :)

14. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

2d is fine :) make something cool!

15. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I'm unclear if stramit you are representing Unity Tech or are a `fellow community member`, and if you do represent Unity Tech, how about a Unity Pro license as the prize, or something?

16. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

It's hard to answer that question about who I am representing, because as a Unity developer I am always representing Unity, especially on the forums. I will say that this is an unofficial competition, just for forums members who want to have some fun, and it is coming from a 'fellow community member' perspective as I love seeing what people do here. It is my idea and as WIP is where I look after I'm trying to help foster a nice community.

Like I said I'll be trying to work something out with regards to a potential prize, but I won't make any promises as I don't want to disappoint people.

17. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

How about re-using pre-existing stuff. I have an underwater game I whipped up a while back. If I changed some of the mechanics and re-did the graphics would that be enough for an entry?

- John A

18. Demigiant

Demigiant

I think this contest is about fun, not about purely submitting something. If I can vote for it, I believe we should submit only completely new stuff :)

19. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Like lzitmee said this competition is about fun and creating something for the competition. I don't feel it's in the spirit of the competition to submit work you have already done. It would be okay if you had some assets sitting around and used them in a scene or something like that, but if you already had a completed project it's not really fair to the other people.

20. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

All good built something else instead.

21. Demigiant

Demigiant

22. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

So any incite to what anyone else is doing?

I will be making a game(hopefully if i get time :p) It will be a frog that has to cross a river(side scroller) it does it automaticaly and does laps you as the player will need to use bubbles that sit on the bottom to give it air(once you click them they float up)

But i have exams soon :( and I'm way behind on my school so only if i get time but i picked a small game so i could do it quick :D hopefully ill knock it off on Saturday.

I think unity should sponsor this and future competitions, stramit you should add a poll on the OP so we can petition to get prizes for community competitions.

Oh and this is the frog sprite(sorry for the blur i used some online tool for the GIF)

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  23. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Uhh. All it is is a blur O.O.. Cant see a fwooggy

24. StormGamer

StormGamer

cool but does that count as underwater?

25. scr33ner

scr33ner

competition sounds great, i didn't see anything regarding deadline?

26. Demigiant

Demigiant

June 20 (mentioned in first post).

27. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Yes because he is swimming underneath the water :D

This is an update on the frog sprite:

28. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I have a question, is this underwater enough?

29. ivanzu

ivanzu

Looking cool titanty.

30. Demigiant

Demigiant

I think the frog should be 7 pixels downer to be considered underwater :D

31. ivanzu

ivanzu

Just want to show you something that may help you speed up the development.
    I took your sea texture and placed it into gimp and went to filters/animations there you can find one pretty helpful filter which replicates wave effect and I applied it onto your image and here is the result. $sea.gif

32. StormGamer

StormGamer

cool! both mine and your game are pixalated

im going to post some wip of my game too

33. StormGamer

StormGamer

here it is!

the game is basicly like that, when you eat a certain ammount, you envolve into another specie, like from fish to frog

should i post a webplayer? or better wait untill finished product?

Attached Files:

34. Goolygot

Goolygot

If you make a model, do it need to be rigged / animated, or can we just make and paint a model for the contest? The last one is far much easier task for the contest.

35. MadRobot

MadRobot

I'm in! Sounds fun!

36. Blacklight

Blacklight

I guess that makes three of us. I'll post some WIP soon.

37. StormGamer

StormGamer

can´t wait for your pictures!

this contest is getting really awsome

38. CookieBE

CookieBE

Count me in! ;)

39. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sounds interesting... I hope I will have the time.

40. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

An update:

And a link to the webplayer, you cant do anything but its animated etc :D

41. varedis

varedis

@titanty

Surely if you are doing pixel graphics then you should only move things by full 'pixels' the smooth scrolling water and clouds just don't fit at all and I have never seen water move quite like that, its like a reverse waterfall.

42. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

43. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

Added some blue fog to the camera, and some bubbles using the particle system to give it more of an underwater effect. Still need to add some waves effects, enemy movement patterns, enemy shooting and of course the models for the objects. Webplayer and screen shot below.

Mouse 1 fires, arrow keys move it left and right.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42597431/watercontest/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

44. Demigiant

Demigiant

@Chris Aoki: don't know if it's intended behavior that still needs to be fully implemented, but sometimes a cube fell over me. Also, I'd suggest to give the gameplay some "underwater" characteristic instead than just the background, otherwise it would just look like Space Invaders with a different background :)

45. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

I've just implemented a system where the enemies charge at the player and then return to it's original position, but haven't implemented any player death yet, and the background is just a place holder for now.

46. StormGamer

StormGamer

when is this contest over? i hope we still have a bit of time

47. Demigiant

Demigiant

June 20, so go for it :)

48. MadRobot

MadRobot

Hi everyone! Here's what I have so far. Please try it out! It's a submarine exploration game. The submarine is capable of 5 axis movement (no vertical up/down, but everything else). It's all physics driven. The sub even has an autoleveling feature, bouyancy and there is current drift. I have the basic version of Unity so I had to fake the caustics from the water overhead. I'm also fairly proud of the sub's shadow. It's a simple blob projection shadow, but I've got it to deform correctly to mimic the sub as it moves.

So anyway, check it out. the sub is equipped a net launcher. Use this to try and capture the turtles. You're rescuing them! Because there are giant turtle- and sub- eating eels as well as nasty jelly fish out there! Well, I didn't include them in this build, but they are in progress.

BTW, if anybody would like to make me some nice underwater terrain to explore, that'd be really boss!

Play!

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  49. StormGamer

StormGamer

50. EISOBAX

EISOBAX

Nice work.... but the only thing that bugs me is the speed of the shark, theres no way of seeing him, and almost no time to react, id suggest making him a bit slower.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.