Search Unity

work in progress : new level : Scardeep

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by botumys, Mar 17, 2013.

1. botumys

botumys

-My goal was to contrast more than usual to discern a maximum light and shadows (because the story). I tried to use lightmaps, but in addition to "illuminate" dark spaces, I encountered problem with vegetation integration.
    I like some art from ted nasmith, but my preference go to artworks like this : http://maciejkuciara.com/

To heavy I think, maybe a download version with a big warning : good computer needed :)

Again a big thank to Michell O, Jacal, tomaszek for their contribution on the asset store.

thanks !

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  2. FlaxSycle

FlaxSycle

Wow, that's an amazing result! Congratulations! It would be amazing to explore in VR, hope you get a chance to hook it up one day.

I didn't think your dark areas were too dark, but they did lack contrast. Your level looks stunning in the light, but when the entire scene was in shadow (like at the start of your HD video) it starts feeling flat. There are interesting rocks and a bridge, but nothing to draw that out. Ambient occlusion or complex bounce simulations is normally used to tease details out of low light conditions, but not sure if either are applicable here.

3. Rob-Mills-Audio

Rob-Mills-Audio

I absolutely LOVE the abnormal rock formations you have created. Not even to mention the other stunning elements of the level, those cliffs / mountains are so beautiful, they pull me away from reality and put me right in that fantasy world. Well done!

4. botumys

botumys

Thanks, I'm curious to test with oculus :)
    I don't used lightmaps, because I encountered problems with vegetation integration. I have to check how to solve this conflict.

I'm happy that this world pull you away from reality. It means that my goal is reached ;P

5. Mihai93

Mihai93

so you going to make webplayer?

6. EverHeartGames

EverHeartGames

Why not make a game out of this? It's just strictly beautiful. You can make an awesome game with this. Maybe you can set up a team and make an RPG? I'd play it so much.

7. botumys

botumys

No, it's too heavy.

I don't know what kind of game I can do with this. Maybe something more like "dear esther", a story with clues and ambiance.

8. Gobla

Gobla

Extremely awesome map you have made here. It seems that every single project you do turns out to become perfect art.

If you need to distribute this. I have unlimited bandwidth hosting for the projects I'm doing, no problem to host your files there as well (could give you some interface to control/revision/etc if you like). You could also go for a standard file hoster of course.

But PLEASE don't leave us in the dark. I would LOVE to walk/fly around in the map!

9. botumys

botumys

Thx, I'll create a demo and pm you when it is ready.

10. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

11. MadToLove

MadToLove

Really great work man you have even improved upon your previous submissions with this newest one. You are surely taking it to the next level.

For all of us that would love to even remotely attempt to follow in your footsteps, can we have a laundry list of assets you are using. Not only models and such but terrain plugins, etc. Is this the asset you are using when painting textures to the terrain? https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/5664

Do you get all the textures you paint with from the asset store? Free texture website perhaps?

For the trees and grass etc, are you using this asset? https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/1021 if so or if not which ones are you using?

What kind of assets if any are you using for the skybox, lighting and post processing effects on the camera to get that final beautiful result in your render screenshots?

Do you use any custom brushes with the terrain editor in unity?

What size terrain do you usually start with dimensions wise? For say when you are working with Zbrush/Mudbox then the World program? What size is the terrain when you get the heightmap into Unity?

Any and all insights to the tools and assets your using from terrain/painting/models/FX/plugins/Unity Extensions/Environment/Skybox's anything would be awesome man.

Keep up the kick ass work.

12. MadToLove

MadToLove

He confirmed that this is the asset he uses for the painting.

13. kPodi

kPodi

OMG! This is amazing!!! Keep up the awesome work!

14. botumys

botumys

15. botumys

botumys

16. MadToLove

MadToLove

botumys, honestly you are amazing man. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer all those questions I had, you covered everything and no joke, i just have such a smile on my face because you were so open to share with us what assets you specifically are using and the covering every question. I appreciate you man and cant wait to see what you come up with next. Consider me inspired.

17. jman12

jman12

Would you mind making a standalone? I would love to see more of this!

18. Ninety_

Ninety_

Wow. Just... wow. I've been following this thread for a while now, and you never cease to amaze me. Amazing work.

19. fireexit

fireexit

OMG!!!!

20. botumys

botumys

thx :)

It's the plan. I just want to add some sounds and blockers.

21. botumys

botumys

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  22. Gobla

Gobla

Gonna test it right away! In Max Quality with a 3d screen...

Edit: Looking damn good!

23. botumys

botumys

3d screen don't work (I have 3d vision here and there is glitches with shadows)

if you have 5.1, turn it on ;)

24. Gobla

Gobla

The shadows are working fine (Tridef3D). However if I look to the sky, there is some ghosting that is not there if you don't use 3d. And I did manage to fall at some points making it unable to return to the previous point. I also have some scripts you could use to fix little things like: only hear walking sounds when grounded, hide the cursor, small head bobbing, etc.

edit: I also have a checkpoint system if you like. Furthermore, I really think the sounds give a good feeling to the whole scene.

25. botumys

botumys

There is the 'r' key to reset position, but in next build, I'll add waypoints (and fix walking sound in the air, hide cursor and add bobbing too :) )

26. Pelajesh

Pelajesh

Everything you do is amazing!
    Do you do this professionally?

27. botumys

botumys

At work I worked for CG movies, and I'm actually on the Android/IOS game for our next movie (The house of magic/nwave digital).
    I create world like this by passion.
    Do you tried the demo ?

28. Pelajesh

Pelajesh

Yes I tried it, I absolutely love it!
    I'm currently searching for a way to the castle on the mountaintop :D

Some notes tho:
    there are some stairs that are aligned a bit off with the stone walls, so they intersect each-other
    When looking at mountains from a distance there seems to be something weird going on: if I look towards the sky the mountains look great, however if I look directly at the mountains they seem to have some stripes of sort. (If you want I can take screenshots)

I think it would be amazing if you were to design levels for some RPG. Keep up the good work!

29. botumys

botumys

of course, if you find bugs/glitches, you can screenshot them for fix.

30. Pelajesh

Pelajesh

When I look up it looks good:
    $nicemountain.png
    But when I look directly at it, it looks like this:
    $stripymountain.png

And the stair I mentioned:
    Close up:
    $glitchedstair.jpg
    From distance (to identify the spot):
    $glitchedstair_from_distance.jpg

31. botumys

botumys

For the black lines I suspect ambiant occlusion.
    For stairs, it's a problem with occlusion culling, normally , there is a wall and pillar to hide this jonctions.
    Thanks for your help!

32. nipoco

nipoco

Could you build a mac version and upload it?

33. botumys

botumys

I'll do that :)

for the stairs: I checked and it is not occ culling. They are simply not to correct position. I'll fix that in next build.

34. stephanvdw

stephanvdw

35. primus88

primus88

Quality AAA. And really wasn't expecting the scary sounds. Scared the crap out of me the first time :)

Also, can you point me to some good tutorials regarding how to reduce the draw calls in scenes ?
    I really struggle with them.

36. botumys

botumys

Thanks, I don't have tutorial in mind, just a lot of info on this forum.
    There is points to be careful :
    -Try to use fewer materials as possible, try to share the same map/material to many objects
    -Complex shaders raise draw call
    -use static and dynamic batching
    -Terrain engine explode draw call if you don't care about : pixel error, detail distance and density, tree distance/bilboards.
    -Use occlusion culling
    -Lightmaps reduce drawcall by replacing distant shadows by a backed light.
    -Real reflective water kill frame rate
    and a lot of other things.

37. primus88

primus88

I knew about some of them, others I will have to test them in my game. Thanks for the help.

Also, is there any way I can use that stronghold / fortress asset you are using in your fantasy world demo ?
    I need something like that for the final map in my game as a prop.

38. inafield

inafield

Hey, great work and inspiring even!!

One idea/suggestion... since so few benchmarks exist for Unity, put in an optional frame counter. I have an Asus G75VX that handled this at 1080p on Fantastic with no issues.

By the way, when you head down into the lowest part of the map (stairways heading waaay down, there is a gap between one of the buildings and the cave walls.

39. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I've got 0 clue how i managed to not find this thread for so long, but this does look totally good!

40. botumys

botumys

Thanks, I'll add fps counter. The gap is in the big pit ?

Merci ;) !

41. botumys

botumys

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  42. makoto_snkw

makoto_snkw

Is this for sell later?
    (Don't mind paying for reasonable price)

43. botumys

botumys

Hard to say, a lot of stuff coming from asset store.

44. lancer

lancer

Mudbox doesn't run on my computer :( or I could do this stuff....

45. Ninety_

Ninety_

Looks stunning, but I'm having some problems with the demo. The terrain seems to be very low-resolution, like this:

$hphq.png

This is on an iMac, OSX 10.8.2, with NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB graphics. Happens on all graphics settings. I'm thinking it's probably a problem with my computer. Other than that, though, it's a very beautiful level, excellent work!

46. botumys

botumys

Hello all,

Finally, I've got my Oculus dev kit!
    The first thing I did is of course to convert Scardeep for it :)

If you are one of the happy owner of this device,

You can download the demo for OC here : http://game.irilys.eu/unity3d/scardeep_OC.zip

notes :
    -change resolution to 1280/800 manually, I forgot to set correct resolution by default :/
    -a good computer is needed
    -some LOD objects are not set correctly

47. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

awesome!! just downloading it! :)

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

Same here. iMac OSX 10.8.4 with Geforce 680MX 2GB graphics.

49. botumys

botumys

I'm using a special shader for the ground, I'll ask to the creator if there is a fix for mac.

50. botumys

botumys