Search Unity

Work flow?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yomomyha, May 15, 2012.

1. yomomyha

yomomyha

Just want to know how everybody regulates when they work.
    Also how or what you do for work.

2. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Coffee keeps me regular? Preferably while im at work... ;)

3. Torsh

Torsh

GDDs help keep me regular.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I work 16 hours a day most days when doing a project, and take time off between projects, for me it's full burn...break full burn etc :)

I always take saturday and sunday easy with family though, and maybe tinker when I get back home.

5. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

If I am into the project its the same for me, Just do as Im told on full burn. If I am not so into the project I will multi task on several projects. but I have always just done as I am told until recently, Its going to be more planning and paying in the upcoming year for me. Learning more about marketing and business control to try get a decent turnover.

6. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

I have very little time to devote to my actual project, because I work full time (high school teacher).

7. yomomyha

yomomyha

high school student

8. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

huh? are you saying you are a high school student, or calling me a liar?

9. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Slacker! :)

I find I have two or three projects going at once.

There's the "paying one" that I am ultimately responsible for. That's the big earner, usually for a client. That consumes between 10 and 12 hours of my day for the most part.

Then I have my evening project that I tinker with. Usually these evening projects go nowhere, but they aren't meant to. They are proof of concept pieces or small game ideas that don't always pan out. Check my signature for some of them. It gives me chance to switch gears at the end of the day and explore interesting concepts that I might not have the bandwidth to do when there are real production pressures.

And finally I have my serious weekend project that I work on with a separate group of developers. This is usually unrelated to my day to day activities, it has goals, deadlines, production pressures, but a different focus and a different atmosphere than a major production.

I don't mind working full-burn on a single project until it's done, but I expect to either get paid for it by the client, or I own a stake in it at the end of the production cycle.

10. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

He lives! huzzah

11. yomomyha

yomomyha

I am a student

12. Dabeh

Dabeh

I have a minimum amount of time to spend on a project(weekly), which I do. Then I will spend more time on it and also spend a lot of my time experimenting on my own games. Most of them don't survive, because they are only there to really help me become a better programmer. So I may make a quick game about "Destroying a wall". Which is just a cube, and you can deform it by hitting it. Things like that. Also, some time is spent helping people out with advice and maybe some mini-scripts for free.

I also have my own serious project, which is extremely ambitious but I try not to talk about "it" since I'm very passionate about the game and would rather not release any information till it's at a certain stage. Only 1 person actually knows what it is heh.

Last edited: May 16, 2012