Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Wondefull idea !!!!

Discussion in 'Web' started by grobonom, Jul 28, 2019.

1. grobonom

grobonom

Hi U3D devs team :D

okay.... i might appear as a troll but am not :p

i LOVE Unity in all its faces..... definetely !
    errr... nah.... not all....

yes.... all things cannot be pure white x))

I use unity since now more than 10 years.
    This means i used the ( old and now dead ) WebPlayer. This lil piece of code was.... ASTONISHING !!!!
    a small pearl among all this web S***s called flash, webgl ( yes a this time it was on betas ) and other 2D/3D wonderfull crap.... ( note that all opinions rely on me and noone else^^ )

U3D webplayer allowed ( now old ) users to have a real 3D experience in ( now old and S***ty ) web browsers !

okay now, you sweet nostalgy, get lost ! we're on a progressing world !

webgl.... the perfect awesome marvelous platform that runs on all browsers on all platforms....

( is there here a smiley that dies of laughing ???? )

I cannot imagine you guys at U3D threw away the webplayer and are really amazed of the webgl replacement !
    okay webgl is just perfect for S***ties like.... showing a glowing spinning cube or.... a rotating PBR title for your amazing website.

what ppl ( hmm i hope they are numbers but at least there's ME.... and i know i'm not unique ) whant is show millions of verts dual textured, properly lit and with a honest res/fps rate.....

am i wrong ?

Okay... i guess you all got the thing: i HATE webgl :D

now...
    ( and i'm pretty sure this can be done..... )
    Shouldn't it be possible to use webgl as a lib/data loader and implement in a lower layer the good'ol webplayer ?
    so that webgl is used just for what it's usefull ! : show a frame buffer on firefox's ( or others ) screen !
    and underneath, have the real important things ( calc & render ) with a U3D render engine ?

seriously U3D team, IMHO you are the best ! and even if you don't think so, you are good enough for making things amazing to us, U3D users and promoters :)

as an old dev, i'm almost sure this can be done, even if i guess it's a tough/long/hard work. but....
    nah i cannot use webgl for running U3D apps !
    It's just like driving a Lamborghini in the 1st gear in a pedestrian street :'(

I hope i get ass-kiked by U3D devs and mostly webgl team ones :p

I KNOW things could be better ;)

prove me am wrong :p

best regards and happy unitying !

2. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

As with all the previous threads regarding this topic: No.

The old webplayer was basically a Unity Standalone runtime running in a browser window. The browser did almost nothing but provide the window frame.

Then browsers removed their plugin features which makes any ideas along those lines impossible. While WebGL certainly has its drawbacks compared to the plugin it has also upsides like not being a plugin.

Zyrathius likes this.