Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Women in gaming talks a mistake

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by graspee, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graspee

graspee

I see Unity is planning a series of talks on "women in gaming". I am all for equality where it is needed, but I believe all initiatives intended to increase "diversity" in gaming or game development are misguided.

We are living in the most democratic period of game development ever: anyone can download Unity, Unreal Engine, Blender, Magicavoxel, Aseprite, Gimp, Audacity etc., develop games and publish them on steam. Race, age, gender, political or religious beliefs, sexual orientation: none of them are a barrier to game development.

It is true that there are fewer women than men in game development but that is because in general women are less interested than men in game development.

In addition, one of the talks ( https://www.eventbrite.com/e/unity-...ries-prof-tracy-fullerton-tickets-25309829381 ) is being given by Tracy Fullerton, the woman who at very short notice cancelled a USC gaming panel, inconveniencing an awful lot of people, just because there were no women on the panel. Story here: http://heatst.com/culture-wars/usc-...games-industry-event-for-not-including-women/

It might seem as though encouraging women into gamedev is a safe, normal, neutral thing to do but in fact in the current climate it is political and divisive and I would advise you to not do it.

darkhog, Zuntatos and summerian like this.
  2. kalamona

kalamona

In before the lock :D

3. graspee

graspee

Why would it be locked?

4. kalamona

kalamona

I think this is a rather touchy issue, and eventually the debate will lead to a flame war. But perhaps I am wrong.

summerian, Zuntatos and graspee like this.
  5. neginfinity

neginfinity

Please explain why I am I supposed to give enough of a damn to vote in the poll?

Ryiah, elmar1028 and kittik like this.
  6. graspee

graspee

I hate it when that happens with forums. It means anyone can shut down debate by coming in to a thread and misbehaving. I'd rather they banned or deleted the posts of those who try to disrupt things.

summerian, jhocking and Zuntatos like this.
  7. summerian

summerian

I think Unity should absolutely keep out of that debate. It's bad enough as it is with SJWs being everywhere else. It sickens me that I'm giving money to a company that has now been infiltrated with these crybabies.

darkhog, Hateweaver, kalamona and 2 others like this.
  8. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Hey, let's keep mature okay?

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Just walking by packing heat and a stone cold stare.

ShilohGames, jhocking, Kiwasi and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.