Search Unity

WMR Headset not respecting Camera clipping distance

Discussion in 'VR' started by Aaron-Meyers, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

I'm using the Windows XR plugin (2.0.3) and my WMR headset does not seem to respond at all to the clipping plane settings on the Camera component. The near clipping plane is always too big and when I change it, it has no effect on the rendering in the headset. Any idea what might be going on here?

2. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Currently we floor the near clipping plane at .3, where Builtin VR is capping it at 0.1. We should probably make XR work the same. Can you file a bug and paste the issue id here?

3. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

Sure, but my experience is that it's not an issue of flooring... it's that no change in settings on the Camera component is ever reflected in the headset. I tried setting near plane to 2.0, so any objects near me would be clipped, but it seems to still be locked at .3. I tried changing the far clip value to a small number so that far objects would clip and it had no effect either.

Also, this appears to only be an issue with HDRP (tested with 7.18 and 7.20). I tried it with Legacy and URP (7.18) and could not reproduce this issue.

4. ThomasZeng

ThomasZeng

Unity Technologies

5. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

Ok thanks. I already filed my bug... the ID is 1219512 in case you want to close it or something.

Any idea what kind of timeline we can expect the fix for 19.3 to arrive on?

6. Aaron-Meyers

Aaron-Meyers

@ThomasZeng @joejo I see on the issue tracker page that there is no mention of 2020.1 for the fix. It only mentiones 2020.2 and 2019.3. Just tried it with the new 2020.1 beta and sure enough, the clipping is messed up. Is there no intention to bring this fix to 2020.1? Seems kinda crazy considering how far off a full release of 2020.2 is.

7. ThomasZeng

ThomasZeng

Unity Technologies

Hi @Aaron-Meyers,

We will backport the fix to 2020.1! We have created the backport work item internally and our SE team is working on it :)